Need help choosing a cheap light for flowering

@dbrn32 I was told to hit you up due to your knowledge on lighting, but here’s my situation: I have one plant (39” x 36” canopy / avg ~34-36” tall) that has been vegging for 3 months on basically a 24/0 schedule. Outdoors when weather permits (in middle Georgia, so usually good if not raining) and I put her in my little workroom off the garage at night. I have two shitty LED bulbs (pics included) that I use indoors, but they’re getting very inefficient due to her size. Can you recommend a light for under $175-200 that will get me through flowering if I use the two bulbs I currently have as side lighting or supplemental overhead lighting? I’ll include pics of the light and its box (which has luminosity stats on it), as well as recent pics of the li’l bush. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED :pray:t3:
ANYONE can reply…I just got @dbrn32 from someone who recommended him (her?). Thanks and CHEERS! :beers:

5 Likes

Very nice plant ! The hlg 135 R-Spec would fit your budget two hundred bucks . and also be a good choice for one plant. @dbrn32 a Midwest guy he’ll be along shortly.

5 Likes

@kellydans Thanks for the kind words about the plant! She’s a hardy girl! Has eaten the 100°+ heat index days this summer in Georgia like it was nothing! Not even a wilted leaf :flushed:! I’m taking a few clones due to some of her super favorable traits that are VERY hard to come by. I will check on the light you suggested and let you know how it worked if I get it. Thanks again man :pray:t3:

3 Likes

@Jaystr0 do you see anything in the near future for Georgia to become a friendly state.

1 Like

I agree for $200 best thing I know of is qb 135 kit. Although that light is typically only good for about a 2’x2’ space in flower.

3 Likes

@CoyoteCody has a good link for a light he used

2 Likes

Disclaimer; there is no guarantee that they are top bin diodes, or even genuine Samsung diodes, that being said i use this one in my 3x3 and I am extremely happy with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B081ZT6BMC/ref=sspa_mw_detail_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1

6 Likes

@kellydans Unfortunately not :angry: They had to debate for over a year in State Congress just to get oil passed for terminal or special-case patients who had extenuating circumstances. I see heroin becoming legal down here before the good herb.

1 Like

@Jaystr0 The hlg 135 did you pull the trigger? I’m up the road a little ways wnc. I’m still waiting on my state to get on board.

@kellydans I haven’t yet, but after comparing PAR outputs with other lights and doing the math, I think I’m gonna order tonight or def in the morning. Question: is it difficult to assemble, because I am a sheet metal mechanic and did that so I could stay FAR away from electricity. And electricity is all the guy kept talking about in the assembly vid :flushed: lol. Also… if you want a great tip on an inexpensive (not “cheap”) pH meter, I recently bought an Apera PH20 Value Series for $45 on Amazon and it is AWESOME! Came with a full kit that includes two different calibration solutions that are good for 10-15 calibrations. If you’re using a cheap meter that came in combo with a ppm meter, throw it away now and get the Apera. If you’ve got something better already… then I’m f*cking jealous. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Uploading: image.jpg…

3 Likes

Thanks @CoyoteCody! Do you see much difference theoretically in that one and the HLG Rspec 135? I’ve seen that PAR map and I know they also have some IR diodes on the board, so I am leaning that way now, but only if they’re both pretty equal. If not, I may go with the one you posted up. Also… is it pretty easy to find a reflector to fit around these boards? Don’t want to waste any of that precious light, ya know? Thanks again man

1 Like

Well one thing is about 105 watts of power, im sure that the hlg is a little more efficient, but 105 watts difference is a lot. I dont believe reflectors are necessary with leds, as they are directional, meaning they only shine downwards and out a little. Not like a buld that throws light 360°

2 Likes

It’s go time…let’s grow this B… Good luck and welcome to the forum… I’m rooting on you… <---- see what I did there. I know …I know…it just comes natural…lol
GuEss whoS not sober!!!

1 Like

I’m an electrical idiot and found wiring the light up pretty easy!

2 Likes

@LoCoRock Thanks man! Not sober either! I’ll keep y’all posted :call_me_hand:t3:

@CoyoteCody Was referring to these that I see on LED boards all the time lately

Says they deliver 25-30% more light than without one

1 Like

I dont know, but I do know what Google tells me lol.

We can ask @dbrn32 he is the light guru, any benefits of putting reflectors on a led board? Help direct it better?

1 Like

@CoyoteCody nah…that answer made sense to me. Probably a selling point for the cheaper lights. :man_shrugging:t2:
Thanks man

1 Like

No problem bro!

@Jaystr0 yeah you will like the apera good choice pH probe . You can Google and watch the video on hlg lights very simple to put together.