Need advice on nutes

Just looking for some advice on when I need to add nutes. Sitting in a 5 gal pot and currently at 4 weeks since it sprouted from the soil itself. I’ve also been adding top soil over time as the plant has gotten bigger (using FF ocean floor).I bought the Bergmans nutes and tells me on the back how much nutes I need to mix with a solution of water. Just trying to determine if now would be a good time to start adding nutes to my plant. Also started experimenting with LST

Water to runoff and tds the runoff. When it drops below 1000ppm feed. Try not to let your nute solution have a tds over 850-900ppm also, start with 1/2 suggested feed. Work up from there.
She looks a lil yellow so it will likely be soon if not now. Good work so far growmie.

4 Likes

I’m trying to figure out how much I can water this plant. Do I water it until it’s wet at the bottom of the pot? I know you can know by how heavy it feels also. I normally stop water as soon as I see water seeping through the walls of the pot.

2 Likes

If you have water seaping through the side, you are watering to fast. You want to water till 20% runoff out the bottom of the pot. (A cup or two for a gallon of water) in my experience 1/2 gallons max for my 3 gallons and 1 gal max for my 5 gallon pots.

3 Likes

Check by weight is easiest. Water running out the sides is not soaking into soil. If it wont absorb…happens…can take a fork and rough up the surface. I would feed it. Water pot till it is soaked and heavy. Let it get almost dry…light…water again till close to wet weight. I am in living soil now but used nutrients before. Overwater is keeping it soaked. Cloth pots hard to overwater unless try. Just my thoughts.

1 Like

Great this is good to know. What I use for watering is too big and hard to control because I have to aim around the leaves to water so it comes out too fast. I just need something smaller to water with.

I use a red dixie cup. I also remove the first two nodes during veg to eliminate this difficulty. Sometimes i use a garden pump sprayer with a wand but it takes forever to water with it.

1 Like

2 Likes

I’ll try the solo cup the next time I need to water and I’ll start adding nutrients at this point. Seems to be good on water. Seems to suck up water rather quickly.

2 Likes

This is what I would do, If I was you.
When the pot is dry, and I mean dry, lifting it will feel like its hardly any weight in your hands. Water it with ph stable water phd to 6.8 until you get runoff. Ph and tds that runoff. If the ph is bellow 6 or above 6.8 flush the soil till ph is back in range. If PPM of run off is below 1000, mix up some nutes and give them to your plant. Even though you just watered. Record the runoff ph and tds. Next time pot is dry, only water phd to 6.8. Record runoff figures. Wash rinse and repeat.

1 Like