Naturalmedmans late-season grow

Might as well move her inside during Henri, she’s not going to get any light outside so she might as well be protected from the storm.

4 Likes

Thanks, all! Going to give it a few more days and then reassess forcing flower. Maybe with all the cloudy and rainy weather coming it’ll happen on its own.

@thedeernad @Gerant what do you suggest using for extra N? It’s in Coast of Maine stonington blend soil which is pretty rich in nutrients and not supposed to really need any additional nutrients for another month or so. That said, I’ve added kelp extract, worm castings and a little fish bone meal but realize none really have much N. Not necessarily trying to stay organic.

@thedeernad praying this storm misses us and your plants! Those kolas are too big and beautiful to lose!

@Gerant love your backyard weed forest lol. You’re giving me ideas for next season!

3 Likes

High,
Well knowing that I would probably let her go for a while. Keep her hydrated. Maybe throw some molasses (I use a table spoon per gallon). When you water her.
Use your ideas. If they work cool if not try something different.
Happy growin
Ger

3 Likes

High,
This was last years “Sea of Green”. Trying to replicate it this year. Have three less plants this year. We will see
Happy growin
Ger

6 Likes

That’s what I’ve done here, naturalmedman.

I had a plant here…

And I moved it here about four weeks ago.

the roots growing through the pot looked good.

07/20

That’s an east facing wall. she gets ~2.0 hours of direct sunlight each day.

08/20 (today)

Daylight hours in my city dipped below 14:00 on 08/19. I’ll bring her out from her shady spot on Monday (probably) and half-bury the pot at an angle in a sunny spot and let it finish flower with nature.

If the weather gets shitty or the humidity gets out of control like it will in early October, I’ll just pull the pot out of the ground and bring her upstairs to finish flower with closer supervision.

You can also put them away in a dark room or a closet every night at 8:00 and bring them back out again at 8:00 am. It’s a pain in the ass, but I’ve done that too.

Ain’t that the damn truth… :joy:

4 Likes

Looks like a good plan!

2 Likes

High,
Why did you angle her?
Happy growin
Ger

1 Like

High,
I trust you are all safe and secure. Hope the hurricane passes you bye
Ger

3 Likes

I have nothing to addd that hasn’t been said Better by servers others already.

So I shall say nice plant and get ready for the flowers!

I also would not hesitate to find a large box to stick over top of it at 7pm every night.

3 Likes

@Gerant thank you sir. Lots of rain in the forecast, well see how we do!

2 Likes

That’s how I’m going to tie her down when I take her out and stick her pot back in the ground.

1 Like

My garden did nothing this year. Cool spring/early summer, then, heat and humidity. Then, deer ate everything except the jalapenos. So, I got 2 peppers.

This is why my ladies are on the deck.

1 Like

High,
Sounds like you need some deer management…. My broadheads are sharp! Good luck man my buddie had all his girls eaten by a beaver. Still tryin to trap it. No luck yet
Happy growin
Ger

1 Like

It had been a tough year for gardening! While I haven’t had deer problems, I’ve had terrible bugs and mold. I can’t say I’ve ever had mold issues with my veggie plants. So crazy.

@Gerant all good here. It’s been raining like crazy since last night and my yard is a little flooded but not too windy. Took the plant out of the garage and put it under an awning for now. Think we have a few more hours before Henri makes landfall.

1 Like

Thanks! I thought about using a box but worried about it not getting enough air circulation. My garage has two windows that I can easily cover with black garbage bags to block the light and it’s about 60% RH inside so I’m thinking that could work. I’d just move the plant in around 7pm, and then move it back out around 10 or 11pm when I take the dogs out before bedtime.

1 Like

As long as nobody is turning on the garage light unexpectedly thats a fine plan. I know in my house someone’s basically guaranteed to need to get into the garage during those hours pretty often.

I dont think the restricted airflow inside a box for two or three hours will matter.

1 Like

Survived (and thrived) the storm. Looks like sunshine for the next few days.

Still no pistils or signs of flowering so today is the first day I’m trying to force flower. Only knocked off 20 min. at night to start so it’s getting about 13 hours sunrise to sunset/garage. if this works I’ll only have to move the plant for about 2 weeks until I’m at 13 hours naturally. We’ll see if that’s enough. Also turned off motion detector lights that could have been slowing the flowering.

6 Likes

Made a new spidy friend.

This thing seemed to grow inches over night.

6 Likes

What kind of peppers are those? I grew the same 3 things this year. Pickling cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers (Jalepeno and Cayenne). How’d your garden do?

4 Likes

Nice haul from your garden Those were red hot chili peppers and maybe a cayenne mixed (most of mine aren’t ripe yet). I also grew these hot Portugal peppers. The chili peppers and cayenne I jar in vinegar with a little salt. I like the hot vinegar for meats and sandwiches and it preserves the peppers too. I think I’m going to make hot sauce with the Portugal peppers. This is my first year growing them. So far, with the exception of my zucchini which got moldy, my garden did really great. We eat a lot of cucumbers in this house so nothing was left over for pickling, but I do make pickles occasionally.

3 Likes