Naturalmedmans 2022 outdoor grow

Mystery pepper!

2 Likes

Currently battling fungus gnats in the soil of my Durban. The surface of the soil was covered with them. Doesn’t appear to be a problem with the SLH or anything else in my garden. Wonder if that one bag of soil was contaminated?

Watered yesterday with mosquito bits/BT and now just letting the soil dry out thoroughly before watering again. Also put down some sticky pads to try and wrangle some of the adult gnats. Hopefully this will do the trick and be the end of them. Any other tips are appreciated!

2 Likes

Probably hitched a ride in the soil like you said. They’ll run their course just make sure the top layer of soil dries out good between waterings and they’ll move on quickly. They’re more persistent indoors tbh.

2 Likes

Time for the weekly weed update.

SLH auto about 31 days into flower. Found a few suspicious looking sugar leaves and pulled them off. It’s been pretty dry but they looked a little rotted.

Durban photo about 5 weeks since it sprouted. Bushing out nicely after being topped a few weeks ago. It could probably use some water but when I checked this morning the top layer of soil was still completely covered with fungus gnats. Sprayed them with some insecticidal soap which didn’t do too much and put some new sticky pads. Think it’ll need another dose of BT next week to break the cycle.

2 Likes

Damn gnats :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: otherwise it looks great :blush:

3 Likes

Lookin good but does BT kill fungus gnat larvae tho? I thought it was for caterpillars and the like.

Good on you keeping an eye out for rot or nasty stuff on your buds. When the weather is not favorable for rot and you get it anyway it can be caused by bug damage. Not sayin you got bugs but saying it’s a possible cause.

Capt’n Jacks Dead Bug works and I was recently told it is fine to use through flowering as it washes off easily if you do a bud wash after harvest. I can confirm no bad effects to flavor or smell or smoke on the plants I used it on in the last weeks of flower.

1 Like

Just checked with my wife and you wanna use nematodes for the fungus gnats. I’ve ordered them from Arbico before for flea beetles in my garden and they work great.

edit

See @Beck below for better info!!

1 Like

There’s 2 Bt products. Btk is for caterpillars and Bti is for skeeters and fungus gnats

2 Likes

Wow I just did a bit of reading on that now and I never knew how widely used it is! Very cool.

1 Like

The best thing is that I don’t think they’re toxic to our beneficial bugs :lady_beetle:

2 Likes

They say it’s just black flies, gnats , and mosquitos. Amazing.

Why can’t soil manufacturers inoculate bagged soil with BTi???

1 Like

IKR? We can kinda do that ourselves making “Bit Juice Tea” and giving the soil a good soak as opposed to sprinkled bits on top of soil

3 Likes

I’m all about this. On my list for next time I’m at Agway.

Im still battling g-D spider mites

1 Like

Oh no! Not cool at all :grimacing:

2 Likes

Captn jack to the rescue!

1 Like

Exactly! They should just put this BTi in the soil before selling. This was clearly an issue with that one bag of soil. While I’ve had fungus gnats in my garden before, it’s never been as bad as this (top of soil is still completely covered by them) and I’m not seeing them in any of my other pots or garden. I had to water the Durban this morning. It was supposed to rain but didn’t and that soil is bone dry. Even though this infestation is pretty bad the plant doesn’t seem bothered.

So I went digging for signs of caterpillars and other bugs in my SLH and while I didn’t find any, I did find rot in the main kola. It was all the way down to the stem and the top pretty much just snapped off in my fingers. Trimmed all around it and sprayed the plant down with a water/H202 mix. Super disappointing but only a lost a few grams. Plus I’ll be able to get an early sample from the very top of that kola that wasn’t affected.

1 Like

That’s a bummer but at least you caught it early :green_heart:

2 Likes

I haven’t had these yet but they look like the worst!

A few quick shots from the garden.

First year growing bell peppers and they’re looking yummy

Also first time growing shishitos.

2 Likes

Not sure what these flowers are that my wife bought but they’re loving the leftover fox farm cha ching I’ve been feeding them lol.

1 Like