Name this deficiency/problem!

Keep the soil moist. Always. The girl should be fine. Earth Dust does not show deficiencies or recoveries as fast as nutes. Issues appear slower and recover slower. You are ok right now. I would not stress yet. I get the same thing on some plants when young. Just watch her. Do not stress runoff numbers. Your ph is good in at 5.5-about 9. If she got dry take 2 tblsp base and mix in 1 gallon water. Shake and water immediatly. That will give a boost to the microbes. They are water activated and have to use right away. Patience. Different type of grow.

2 Likes

I’m still only a few weeks in. The last few days ive only given about a quart of molasses tea, because it’s been rainy. Before the rain, tho, i gave about a quart a day. My soil cooked for 3 weeks. But I’ve not had any problems. Quite opposite. I have a 4wk old auto in it, no signs of flower, and it’s bigger than any auto I’ve grown, before flowering. If it stays course, it will be the biggest auto I’ve grown.

2 Likes

@Storm

I don’t know if it is different with Earth Dust but I have always treated peat as hydro for ph purposes. That is ph water (in my case with nutrients) to 5.8 - 6.0.
Just want to clarify for OP.
@MeEasy is the most accomplished earth dust grower I am aware of

5 Likes

:point_down: this is what TGSC says about how to water. I personally never allow my soil to dry from 2 to 4 weeks before I plant until I harvest, then I keep it moist until I’m ready to use it again. So I guess I never allow my soil to dry.

The best way I’ve heard it described is think of it as a scale from 1-10 one being dry ten is soup you want the soil to stay between 4 and 7 this allows the bacterias and fungi to stay alive and processing the organic material every time they are slowed in any way it slows the food available to the plants

4 Likes

Thanks for the tag @beardless :beers: I can’t find who was asking about ph or what kind of soil they’re using. I personally haven’t checked the ph of my soil in like 2 years the soil ph will be adjusted to what the plant is saying to the soil

Copy paste from my notes :point_down:

“Living soils are full of insects and micro-organisms that feed the plants – they require horticulturalists that understand how to maintain them,” Grossman said. “They need far less water and don’t result in waste like the synthetic cultivation methods. It’s far more complicated than feeding a chemical cocktail, but it’s how plants naturally take up the nutrients needed to grow.”

The living micro consists of Bacteria and Fungi that in turn attract Nematodes and Protozoa who eat them (for their carbon) and poop out the excess nutrients (diverse and abundant) in a plant usable form. The extrudate mix from the plant attracts more of what it needs to grow. The plant is in control

ph is not a worry with organic, living soils. What happens is that the plant roots give off exudates that attract appropriate microorganisms to the rhizosphere (root zone). All of these microorganisms adjust the ph for the plant

2 Likes

Sorry about that.
@Jerdan03 , the OP, is using Pro-Mix BX with earth dust

and using tap water with 6.8ph

I wanted confirmation, on behalf of the OP, if 6.8 is the correct ph even though peat is used. Peat is considered to be hydro and treated the same as coco for ph purposes. i.e. ph all inputs to 5.8 - 6.0.

Much appreciated if you can answer this question.
Thanks

1 Like

He is. Keeps me in line. Good stuff. I have great success with it.

1 Like

I honestly don’t know the answer I’m not familiar with using peat except the plugs I use to pop seeds. I read the description on it and it seems to me to just help with the bacteria health in the roots. That doesn’t tell me to change and or worry about the ph going in because if there’s a more healthy micro life it would be easier for it to manage the ph of the soil.

That’s just my logic and thinking because I honestly don’t know.

I will email Matt at TGSC and ask on your @Jerdan03 behalf. He normally gets back to us pretty quick, today is Sunday though so it will be a couple days. I’m curious :thinking: on this one if for nothing else having the answer to help the next person

2 Likes

I sent an email and included a link here and a tagged Matt below so if my mumbled email doesn’t make sense he can come n see what’s up.

@beardless @Jerdan03 @MattSunshine

2 Likes

@MeEasy OK I know. It’s 3:30 am and I’m scanning TGSC website and found What’s the Best Way to Use Earth Dust? A Look at Your Options
In regards to peat moss it says it is slightly more compatible with ED than coco. As for ph, this is taken directly from the article
“However, because peat moss is not a humus, that is, not a mixture of organic compounds making up a soil, you may want to control the pH of your water as with coco coir. Peat moss has a much higher CEC (cation exchange capacity) than coco, but still less than a full mixture of humic elements.”

Referring to the article’s comments on coco and ph, the article states:
"For Earth Dust users, however, this is less than ideal [ coco coir’s ability to allow the grower to control nutrient content by adding synthetic nutrients in a constant regimen.] . Earth Dust is designed to simulate nature in that it uses readily available organic matter in the medium. This is not to say it’s impossible. If you are using coco coir, we suggest you start with 3-5 tablespoons of Base and 1 tablespoon of Boost for every gallon of coco coir. Blending in some additional organic material such as peat moss may prove helpful as well. Paying attention to the pH of your water is more important with coco coir as well, since the low CEC limits the relative amount of ionic exchange, which in turn limits the microbial capacity to regulate pH. A good range to aim for in the pH of your water when using coco is 5.8 – 6.5. Coco coir is also not very good at retaining water, so a much more rigorous schedule will be in order.

In short, treat peat like coco for ph purposes.
Thanks for your follow up and your diligence.

p.s. I was on the site thinking about a comparative grow of clones from the same mother using Earth Dust and a good quality soil Vs coco using Jack’s and other supplements I customarily add.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot for the support, I actually emailed TGSC a few months ago having issues with my first 2 grow attempts and discovered the soil I use using wasn’t good for their earth dust technique (Foxfarm Ocean-too hot). The Promix BX was one of 3-4 they recommended. Not sure if that helps. But after 2 crappy grows I need as an on-site grow expert :joy:
By the way that could be a new job- Home Supprt for home growers? Right?

1 Like

Well it looks like you found the answer I’m going to get from Matt :laughing: it sounds like peat is going to be pretty much the same thing as coco which I consider growing hydro with a sponge in the water and throwing in dry organic nutrients isn’t going to work without something else for the microbes to eat.
Which is what you just said except you are obviously smarter than me and use bigger words :laughing: :rofl: and proper names. Thanks a ton for doing the research for @Jerdan03 and sharing it with us. I love growing because of the challenge and the never ending education

2 Likes

I’ve actually thought about doing a in home grow consulting but I live in a smaller town and hate going into the city for any reason :laughing: :rofl: I bet it would be a good business opportunity though.

I’m not sure why you couldn’t make dust work with ocean forest :thinking: I recommend using something with less nutrients but it’s okay to use it. The key is to do your initial mix with 1 tbs/gallon of soil and cooking it a little longer. I use happy frog only because I get a good deal on it here in town

2 Likes

@Jerdan03 Here’s :point_down: the link to my growroom thread you are welcome to come check it out it shows like a year n a half or my growing all with Dust along with a bunch of bs’ing about just about everything :laughing: you are welcome to join us in the bs’ing as well

@Jerdan03 @beardless I got an email back and it doesn’t say what we thought. I sent a picture of the pro mix bag so they know what you are using. Here’s the whole email I got back

:point_down: copy paste from the email :point_down:
If their water is at 6.8, I would just leave it there. Typically, peat moss tends to lean more acidic and should balance in the soil

1 Like

@MeEasy now that’s confusing. It sounds like they think is a blend peat and humus / soil. Otherwise it contradicts the article.
All I know with Jack’s and either coco or peat I’m in at 5.8 - 6.0.

1 Like

I don’t know, and yes I’m confused but thought I’d better share the confusion. I sent the email attn Matt but someone else answered it, David. Id have to go through a couple years of emails to see if I’ve talked to him but he doesn’t sound familiar :thinking: TGSC is growing and there’s new people all the time, he might not know what he’s talking about

2 Likes

David is Matts partner in crime. I have spoken with him before @MeEasy. We still communicate. Trieng for another sample set to the forum.

1 Like

I didn’t recognize the name and the copy paste up there is the entire answer I got back, minus a hey and his name

After doing a lil research too I’m like,

Well here goes nothing, we’ll actually I hope some happens! :crossed_fingers:

1 Like