My very first ever growing. Is it ready for harvest?

@THCCBD----Please keep us updated on this. I am always interested in new techniques.

1 Like

I just use my drill and drill 2 hole in base of stem 90° from each other. Works the same with out all the work of trying to get a blade through it. You just have to be careful your drill bit doesn’t gum up and just spin and burn the inside of the stalk

4 Likes

Was about to ask about the bit gunking :joy: take it sloooow

1 Like

I’ve split the stem with the drill method on several plants and honestly saw no increase.

I’m not saying it doesn’t work, it just didn’t appear to do anything. Since it also doesn’t appear to do anything bad I’ll keep trying it.

3 Likes

What about 48 hours of darkness?

2 Likes

Haven’t tried 48. But I do harvest just before lights on with minimal light.

3 Likes

I never noticed bulkiness in the buds more of what splitting the stem does is cause her to think she is dying and go into survival mode for her flowers. Which is more of a tricome covering to protect the buds. I have noticed that if you don’t do it atleast four days before harvest it really does nothing but if you give it a week you wI’ll see more tricome production

4 Likes

I agree with sirsmokes. the one time I tried to do stem split, I did it 3 days before Harvest and I really didn’t notice a big difference. But I did do plants with 48 Hours of darkness and it did help! Next time I’m going to try to split the stem but do it about a week before Harvest and I’ll probably also use the drill method. I used a scalpel last time and shoved a popsicle stick through it. I think it would have worked if I just gave it more time to set in. Good luck and enjoy your grow

3 Likes

So we are up to 96 hour stem split and 48 hours of darkness for the win. Anymore harvest tips for OP?

4 Likes

Reading this has helped me, my girls are 1 week out from harvest. I had not really heard of this, def going to give it a try, only problem is that my stalks aren’t very thick. They are some TINY girls, I will prob have to do the split method. The amount of knowledge I have gained from this forum is astounding.

5 Likes

I am near harvesting with my 2 plants (maybe 3 plants), I am very interested in splitting method and/or 48 hours darkness.

However, how do I know to time this correctly? Because, I don’t know how to judge if my plants are 1 week away or 2 days from cutting.

I watched "gratefulgrower’ youtube video and he mentioned if I see first sign of brown hair, it would be about 3 weeks away from cutting the flowers. (Of Course, he says it varies depends on species), but in general, that is how he knows to start flushing the plants… So, I took his advice and start to flush my plants when I saw brown hairs around the bud. It’s been about 18 days now since I start flushing plants and it is still 1-2 weeks away from the harvesting. Because I start flushing too early, my plants are not getting nuts for 4 weeks, instead of just 2 weeks.

Perhaps, this “correct timing” comes with an experience. But as a newbie, timing ‘what to do’ to the plant is the hardest to me.

2 Likes

I also read about 3-7 days prior to cutting, don’t water the plants and let the plants dry out. (I can’t remember where I read this) Again, here is ‘timing’ issue; I don’t know if I have 3-7 days left to cut.
Also, have any of you tried this (not watering)? If you have, is there an advantage of letting the plants starving at the end?

Drill it! Take 1/4" or 1/2" drill bit & drill through the base of the main stalk. Go one way, then about 1/4" about that, go perpendicular to your first hole.

Much less dangerous for your hands, and much less harrowing for the plant.

I have a video of me doing this. I’ll tag you.

3 Likes

My last harvest, I drilled 7 days before harvest, gave ice water the last watering (5 days before harvest), then did 48 hours of darkness. I think it definitely made it snowier.

4 Likes

I saw the video, Also ‘ice water’ tip. Thank you!

2 Likes

Sorry, but in my experience “brown” hairs can be a month away or more from harvest.

The best way to judge is by examining the trichomes. When I see amber trichs, I know it’s time to flush. After that I keep an eye on things and usually within 10-20 days it’s time to harvest.

3 Likes

You should always be looking at the tiches not the brown hairs coming out of the bud some strains have brown hairs from early on in flower you should have some form of jewelers loope to do this you get a better time scale on where you are and can decide when to harvest I have tried harvesting at a few different stages but I like the more heavy high so I always get the triches as amber as I can the more amber the stronger the high but as I stated you can harvest before depending on what sort of high your looking for if you harvest when thier more milky in colour it would still be a nice smoke you just won’t get full potential it’s more of a day time smoke I think at least that’s what I call it, also I would give them a light feeding if you plan on running the full 8-10 week flower or the 12-14 depending on indica or sativa dominant?! All the best on that it’s not nice when you get misinformed or don’t fully understand something I’ve made plenty of mistakes on long my way lol

3 Likes

Thank you for this information.
I may have misunderstood ‘gratefulgrower’'s video or maybe he meant to say trichome instead of hair…
But the important thing is that I now know what to look for, I know when to start flushing from now on. I still have 2 plants that are getting nuts, so these 2 plants, I will make sure to check Trichome color instead of hair color before start flushing process.

Our state does NOT allow for the patient to grow MJ, not even 1 plant. So, the subject of MJ isn’t the topic of backyard BBQ in my area. I am very thankful that I can ask questions about MJ place like this forum. I learned a lot in a short time and also continuously learning. Everyone here sharing their experience and give their advice without any prejudice. It means a lot, especially since I am growing it is for medicine.

3 Likes

This forum is a very good place for information and there’s always someone at hand willing to give thier help or you can always just read through the different topics and self learn that way I’m from the UK so I totally understand where your coming from its hard to talk about and you do right by not talking about it (rule number 1 don’t talk about fight club) just a little joke there haha, be sure to ask any questions at any time I’ll always offer help or point anyone in the right direction to the help that’s needed, happy growing my friend :blush:

3 Likes

I need help!
I should have waited before I start the flushing, but by the time I realized that my timing was too early, I was already into 2 weeks flushing. So, rather than start to give Nuts, I just stayed with flushing with PH balanced water only.

Did I ruin this crop because I start flushing too early?

Now, It’s been 4 weeks in flushing and my trichome is not yet turned color amber.
Should I start Nuts for a few weeks and start flushing again or should I just keep giving them water only and waited out?

Anyone can tell me it will turn color if I wait for another week? The pictures attached are from all that I have in my tent. (from 5 pots - all Banana Kush)

IMG_6346

IMG_6350

IMG_6362

IMG_6352

IMG_6357

IMG_6365

IMG_6354

IMG_6367

IMG_6368

1 Like