My tiny plants are leaf down and not seeming to grow any further

A question of a fellow grower:
This is my second try at growing your seeds— first time was outdoors and relatively successful. This time in doors under Lights (ViparSpectra 450) but my tiny plants are leaf down and not seeming to grow any further.

The plants remain tiny although they been under the lights (on vegetative mode) for weeks but see no growth in height even thought new leaves keep emerging. Also, the leave are pointing down.

Their in plastic cups (hole in the bottoms), that have soil comprised of 1/2 Veritable potting soil, 1/4 vermiculite, and 1/4 Maine composite or shells etc.

Please let me know what you suspect could be the issue with these stagnant babies.

1 Like

What 450 viparspectra do u have? Jw I’m running 2 dimmable atm. Also how often have u watered? Also I would have a couple holes in the bottem sides.

Hi K.
Thank for weighing in on this issue.
I will put some additional holes at the lower sides but I don’t know if its the moisture that’s the issue.
My little ones were perfectly fine when they sprouted, and followed the viparspectra 450 suggestions about keeping them 32" from the lights for the first few weeks. That said, I don’t know why it’s entered this “torpid” state, where it has new leaves but isn’t growing. Is it due to the distance from the lights or the watering which I do to keep the soil moist.
Any other guesses, suggestions? Hate to lose the little ones to ignorance.

It may be an over watering issue. That tends to happen with led lights because they do not produce the heat to dry soil. I think you should let them dry a few days and see how they are let first inch of soil go dry dry

2 Likes

There r some other people on here also that are a little more experienced then I am I’m sure they will chime in soon. Liljoe that was my first thought.

1 Like

Overwatering. Seedlings don’t need much water at all and I would not advise keeping the soil moist. Let them dry out and they should start growing again :v::bear:

7 Likes

I agree with MattyBear. Looks like overwatering. Seedlings don’t drink much at all. And, you’re in plastic cups so the water doesn’t have a chance to evaporate either. It’s a good way to get root rot if you’re not careful. Poke more hole and let the soil dry out. I use peat pots. The water evaporates quicker and I can’t overwater with them. Way better than plastic.

2 Likes

can’t tell much in the purple light pics. white light works best.

Well first—thank you all for offering those insights.
Seems the consensus is simply over-watering and I’ll immediately remedy that with additional holes and stopping my watering routine until I see the soil dried and ready for some drops.
Funny how I didn’t have this issue last summer when my first crop was outside and in natural light.

And so, speaking of natural light— do any of you have ideas about the distance and time I should try under these
ViparSpectra 450s?

1 Like

Outside plants have constant air flow around than and dry out faster than indoor plants in pots, typically :v:

1 Like

Thanks MattyBear. I thought that might be why these in-door winter ones were staying moist.
My lingering concern now, beyond the moisture factor is the grow light I’m using and it’s strength, disteance and time on and off those little upstarts. Any thoughts on that?

1 Like

At this stage you can run them 20/4, 18/6, or 16/8. When they’re seedlings I usually have the lights at 18/6 and when I transplant I veg under 16/8 until flower which is 12/12 :v:

2 Likes

Ok. Good to know and now ready to try.
Right now I’m 12 on / 12 off. and 32" from full veg. LEDS.
Perhaps a longer on cycle, but with more distance from those 450 lights…maybe 36"?
Thoughts?

12/12 is for flowering. Are you trying to flower right away like a SOG, or did you want them to get bigger before going into flower?

2 Likes

If your using 12/12 schedule right now then the plants will think that the season is changing. They will grow a bit first, and then start flowering as a last ditch effort trying to get pollinated.

2 Likes

Trying to grow those babies—no where near flowing stage. I’m just trying get these over their static 2" and into a real growth cycle

1 Like

Did you change the light schedule to 18/6?

2 Likes

My first grow started under a T5 for the first 2 weeks then moved under a viparspectra 300w started at 20/4 then in the future I changed to 18/6 after learning more. I started 32" away and every day I lowered 2 more inches and turned up the dimmer a little every day also.
She does look pretty wet. I like to let the little ones get a little dry to increase roots. Happy growing :v:

2 Likes

Thanks for the advise Budbrother. I’ve already set my timer to keep it 18/6 to see if that works, along with watering them less.

Good advise GJ. I’ll keep that in mind when I reset the height. Thanks.

1 Like