My Starters Equipment

Hello everyone, I’m just getting started. Still reading and purchasing equipment. I’m 60 yrs. old and looking to grow on a very small scale. A few ounces for my personal use. I’ve been studying autoflowers since that seems to fit best. Even thou growing very small, I’m very excited for this new challenge. Ok, some equipment on my purchase list:

#1 Gorilla Lite 2x2.5x5.7 tent.
#2 VIPARSPECTRA P1500 Full Spectrum LED Grow Light.
#3 FoxFarm Ocean Forest Potting Soil.
#4 iPower 4 Inch 150 CFM Inline Fan Filter 8 Feet Ducting with Speed Controller and Temperature Humidity Monitor.
#5 INAVIS 3-Pack 3 Gallon Black Grow Bags Heavy Duty 300G Thickened Nonwoven Plant Fabric Pots with Handles.
#6 VIVOSUN pH and TDS Meter Combo, 0.05ph High Accuracy Pen Type pH Meter ± 2% Readout Accuracy 3-in-1 TDS EC Temperature Meter.
#7 Faicuk Yellow Dual-Sided Sticky Fly Traps.
#8 General Hydroponics pH Control Kit.
#9 14 Inch Plastic Plant Saucers.
#10 BN-LINK 7 Day Heavy Duty Digital Programmable Timer.
#11 TDS Meter Digital Water Tester - ppm Meter, EC & Temperature Test Pen 3-in-1.
#12 Gloryfox Soft Garden Wire Ties.
#13 7 Steps To Grow Cannabis: A Complete Beginner’s Guide To Growing Cannabis Indoors. By Mr. Grow It.
Also downloaded Mr. Bergman’s Grow Bible.

Ok, help me edit this list please. Thanks

2 Likes

I would recommend not getting a burple and instead going with something like HLG. Many of us started out with burples and were disappointed with the results and have moved on to better lighting.

Everything else looks pretty good. Good luck to you.

3 Likes

Thanks @MidwestGuy.
I definitely don’t won’t to get my light wrong. From all my reading it’s the heart of the operation. I didn’t even know it was a burple light. I’ll go back to the drawing board on lights. How do I identify a burple light? So many out there its almost as mind blowing as some good smoke.

1 Like

Its actually not a blurple but there are better lights.
It would probably be fine, but you can do better.

1 Like

I looked it up on Amazon. The P1500 doesn’t look like a burple, but I see no reference to quality diodes. What you will want to look for is lighting built with Samsung LM301 series diodes.

If cost is a concern then look at the Spider Farmers with LM301 diodes. Spider Farmer has come a long way in recent years.

You are correct that lighting is probably the single most important factor for quality bud.

2 Likes

I’m headed over to Amazon now. I’ll post some other choices once I’m done.:v:

# VIPARSPECTRA XS1500 uses lm301b samsung diodes.

3 Likes

Looks like a great list, one small item you might want to add is pot risers for your saucers. You don’t want the plants sitting in runoff.

If you get saucers that are bigger then the risers it makes it easier to collect runoff.

5 Likes

Meters…send back. Get a good Ph meter something like" Aperia" the Tds meter you can spend as little as 20.00 but the ph meter dont go cheep 50.00 plus. Those combo’s and the stick in the dirt types virtually worthless.

3 Likes

Thanks @Audiofreak. Type of info I’m looking for.:v:

This is actually really good cheap ph meter. The tds is garbage. But it’s $14. I’ve tested it against drops and friends meters. I’ve not had it go out of calibration yet. Way better than the vivosun ph meter I didn’t use for more than 5 minutes. Probably the exact same thing made in the same factory in China. But it’s done exceedingly well for a fraction of the price.

1 Like

I’m a big fan of Apera too.

3 Likes

HLG 100 Rspec Horticulture Lighting Group Quantum Board LED Grow Light LM301B Diodes.???

VS

VIPARSPECTRA XS1500 LED Grow Light with Samsung LM301B Diodes (IR Included) & MeanWell Driver, Dimmable Full Spectrum Grow Lights???

They look comparable, but given VIPARSPECTRA’s reputation, I am skeptical of their claims. I would go with the HLG where I am certain that I am getting a quality light.

5 Likes

What about the value of the dimmable function??
Should I look for a compatible brand to HLG with it??

Dimming is great. The 260s allow for dimming. I’m not sure about the 135s. I don’t recommend any other brands unless you are willing to go with even more expensive options. Any LED should have the latest Samsung LM301 diodes (b or h.)

1 Like

Great, I think I’ll go with the HLG unless someone one gives me reason to investigate other options. Thanks @MidwestGuy

1 Like

I really don’t won’t to go over $200 with the small amount I’m going to attempt to grow. Maybe after I get more experience in a couple of years. I may decide to branch out then. I would be tickled if I could just grow an auto and get 4-5 oz out of it. That last me a year.

An HLG 135 Rspec is right at $200 and is a pretty decent light for one small plant.

2 Likes

Not getting any hits on search in Amazon??

1 Like