My second grow and I'm doing it the right way haha

Just a couple sweet pics from today. Day 15 of lights back on for flower

12 Likes

This grow is bottom third of pots Garrigans better soil mix. Top 2/3s is 1 part my own worm castings and 2 parts ocean forest amended with a few things. More important to me is the soil cover. I’ve brought in leaves and straw from my outdoor compost pile for the starter and the I’m putting all the trim from the plants back on top to recycle the nutes.

2 Likes

Ok, thats cool. Are you at all concerned about bringing yhings like bugs in from outside?

1 Like

You know I’m not worried at all this time of year. It’s cold with snow here and what I bring in as top dressing get shredded then cooked indoors in a bin with a few additives for good measure. So far no problems at all. I personally believe there are no bad critters in the garden if you do it right. The entire garden is a living organism that can and will balance itself if given a chance.
Ya know the biggest thing I’m learning about true living organic growing is that I’m not growing cannabis… I growing a living soil and the girls are the reward for my creation.

10 Likes

Well they certainly look nice!

You’re spot on about the soil, I do the same outside with my big vegetable garden. No till one top dress. And I’ve never worried about ph or ppms until now trying to grow Inside. Looks like you’re killing it tho!!

1 Like

I wish I had your luck like @Cannabian said - I was warned not to bring my girls outside when I first started and boom - mites… I cried man but I’m also in that warm climate. It sure as hell looks like it’s working for you though with another beautiful grow.

1 Like

I’ll tell ya man I don’t worry about ppm or ph at all now. I do use reverse osmosis water and always will and I’ve learned that by purifying the water with Reverse osmosis and feeding the microbes instead of the plants that the soil becomes balanced on it’s own.
There are two books that I’m learning from that are now my bible’s. I can’t begin to tell you how much I’ve learned from them. If you want to grow the way mother nature designed things then get these books and enjoy

8 Likes

Living organics is a must read…

1 Like

You’ve got that right LoCo

If you really want to start understanding soil then these 3 books will help get you there.

5 Likes

If you are interested in organic growing I suggest you start with Teaming with Microbes in this series of books. It’s awsome

3 Likes

Thanks so much, I’ll definitely pick them up!

1 Like

Hey bud I see your an organic outdoor grower too. Check out that Jadam book I posted too. I personally think it’s the best I’ve read on natural growing and it totally helped me with my indoor grow also.
Knowledge is the key to success so teach me baby haha

1 Like

It is. I’ve grown my main vegetable garden organically for years now and make my on compost. Just didn’t think I could apply this technique to indoors, and to be honest I didn’t even think about it because you never see it. I guess I should have researched it more, chasing ph is a task in itself. Because of the compost and castings I use my ppm’s are crazy high. Yesterday I was 2860 out… Lol. I was trying to lower it but if I flush I’m washing all the stuff I need away. My ph is good, I was putting in a bit low but now I put in mid 6’s and don’t worry about the rest. I need read your journal and see what you have going on. Just from what I was looking at you have it dialed in!! Glad I saw where u commented or I would have missed you​:+1::+1:

1 Like

I’ll tell you what get True Living Organics book. It’s amazing. I’ve already got my soil for the next grow cooking and it’s from that book. I do concern myself with ppm going in but never ever worry about PH at all. Hands down for me is the water I’m using. Reverse Osmosis water is my choice for now. This year I plan on re roofing my house and putting metal roofing on so I can collect and use the rain water for both my yard and my indoor girls. With my next grow the soil I’ve made will allow me to do an entire grow just watering. No additional nutes needed at all.
Now don’t get me wrong making teas and adding little treats to my top dressing will make my girls explode but I know for certain that with the proper soil to start with you can grow an amazing crop with nothing more than good water

2 Likes

And just so you know the water I’m using out of my reverse osmosis filter comes out around 8.5 PH and I do not adjust it at all. Using PH up or PH down or for that matter any chelating acids actually drive your microbes nuts. It’s like giving them the bends from diving for a human. You won’t kill them but you make it so difficult for them to do there job.

@Oldtimer69 I have the exact same problem REPEATEDLY. I first burnt up 2 girls like a year ago using my own compost. Then lesson learned right - cut it way down… NOPE - I put not even one shovel of my compost to the rest 4 gallons of ffof at transplant. Still mega unhappy plant after roots started in about a week & flushes at 3500… LMAO fast forward to 3rd time with about 2 cups at the very bottom mixed with USED FFOF… 2 weeks has gone by and now the new growth is looking lime green… I can’t win… im about to give up on making compost… I gotta talk with Mr. Crab or Budbro some more and get some facts… hey it’s a learning process and I don’t learn unless it’s literally burnt into my memory… and plants…lol

4 Likes

Instead of using hot compost like your doing try getting worm castings. Best bet is make your own if you can I’ve actually started plants in pure worm castings and they loved it.

1 Like

Out of likes… But I collect rain water in 4 of these, same here my ph is right around 7. I was using tap water in 5 gal buckets that sat for a few days because the ph was mid to low 6’s and I didn’t have to mess with it much.

6 Likes