My personal grow journal

This is the Maui at 2 weeks.

This is Durban Poison.

3 Likes

Okay I am slow on the uptick. rh = relative humidity. DOH! lol I am so slow. It is a wonder that snails haven’t passed me yet.

3 Likes

Ya you got the relative humidity haha! Sorry I thought you were growing with hps, different thread. 80-85f is pretty good with leds.

1 Like

I have found I made a huge mistake in the very beginning of this grow. Thankfully the two 2 week old seedlings haven’t suffered much yet. I more or less drowned my plants. It wasn’t that they were overwatered but the roots never found a way through to get more nutrients. I have a nice mix of store bought organic soil mixed with canna coco soil some vermiculite and some slow acting organic sulfur to lower the soil PH some. I didn’t put anything in it to break up the clumping of the soil so those very tiny roots had a hard time to grow.

I took the tiny seedlings out carefully and amended the soil with perlite. This I did yesterday and this morning I have seen signs that the seedlings are responding to the new and improved soil. They are both beginning to stretch which is something they have not done the last few days.

I also added in on a tiny watering of those seedlings added a mix that now included a bit of silica. This is something else I had not learned about until reading and reading and reading. Why is this growing weed so hard? LOL :joy:

1 Like

Good morning all. Yesterday I transplanted my oldest plants. These two plants have suffered greatly because of my soil. It was staying too pack for the roots to grow in. 2 months old and the plant’s root balls fit in the palm of my hand. So okay now that I have found that I created the problem there is nothing more to do with this then to carry on and learn from the experience. I am documenting this and are correcting it for my next group of plants.

I do have a question of you. Is it advisable to use plastic solo cups for my seedlings to grow in over putting those seedings from the paper towel directly into my 5 gallon fabric pots? I have seen so many great shots from some of you and in other searches have these great root balls just screaming for more room and about to burst the cup. Is it worth the investment of those cups? Will it springboard my next plants?

I have decided that I will destroy my older plants. More reading and research tells me that I might have stressed them so much that if they were to survive they may have become male plants and would require me to separate them from Meg (Maui) and Deb (Durban Poison). I suspect that it will cause my humidity to drop for a bit until I get some foliage. So far they are still only 3 inches tall but they are only 2 weeks old.

Seedlings 70%
Grow weeks 1-2: 60%
Remaining grow weeks: 55%
Flower week 1: 55%
Flower weeks 2-5: 50%
Flower weeks 6-7: 45%
Flower weeks 8-9: 40%
Remaining flower weeks: 35%

You don’t have to have these exact values, but try to get close.

4 Likes

Don’t destroy them YET. Sometimes stress can help create a more bountiful crop. They could turn out beautiful.
As long as they are thriving(are they?), let them keep growing and keep a close eye on them. If they show signs of being a male down the road, THEN destroy them.

Using a small pot or cup helps get plant growing a little faster. It’s a smaller area for roots to get established. If you use this method, make sure to put lots of small holes in the cup. Use a colored cup or place clear cup into a colored cup.

One reason to start your seeds in their final pot may be if you’re running autos. Transplant shock can stunt them and plant may flower when it’s still fairly small.

3 Likes

@TommyBahama thank you for that great approximation chart for me. It confirms something I was suspecting. I don’t know how I am going to accomplish this as well. If I turn off my air filtration system it goes to 80% with windows open. If I turn it on it sucks it down to 45% even closing windows and having the exhaust fan at the slowest speed. I am lacking a couple of circulating fans that are going to be delivered today. I will play with it. Right now they are still small. I will try to figure out how to get the humidity up under that condition about 15%. I might need to get a humidifier going on it. I don’t know if I have one around or not.

Oh and it is too late. I tossed them The root ball of one was still inside the jiffy ball. There was one tap root that made it out at the bottom 2 inches and that was probably all recent. It just was time to just cut my losses and focus on the two ladies. I really do appreciate the information. So Meg and Deb are going to be my charges until harvest. Let’s hope I have things going in the right direction. I have my tub and I just need a wire rack shelf to hold my plants above the base of the tub. Pictures to come later.

@dbrn32 In this case these are not autos so this is going to slow it just a tad but that is okay by me. I want to take this one step at a time. Thanks for that as well. I will remember that in my next round. It will be late this year. I am heading to South Korea for a couple of months in September. When I get back I will start my next one.

1 Like

Look up some of the quantum board threads, may find it interesting like I did and build my own light. It’s probably cheaper in the long run.

1 Like

I might build one. I was thinking about one more 1500 watt light but if this turns out to be good I just might build a light to fit my tent. Time will tell. I need to get through this first run.

As of noon today this is what Meg and Deb look like in my tent.

2 Likes

Very nice setup… :ok_hand::+1::+1:

1 Like

Absolutely, find what works for you!

I found the correct settings to do this. My temperature holds at 75.6 and RH at 55%. I had to crack open a small vent opening at the top. If I pop the exhaust vent humidity drops to 45% Things can change with more growth. I’m just glad this equipment works like it is supposed to.

Waking this morning and checking my tent. I again found the temperature at 76 degrees and 55% humidity at plant height. This I think is near the top of the heat range and firmly at a nice humidity range.

Question for you @dbrn32. If I were to put together an LED lighting system from those Quantum boards, will they provide the heat necessary to bring the temperature up in my tent? I know that my current light does that but is electrically inefficient because of all the fans on it. That is the reason I am considering making it as you suggest. Getting the boards are one thing but then I would need the controller and power supply hook-ups. Are the 288’s current technology? Does the controller board control the amount and type of light spectrum?

Thanks in advance again for your help.

1 Like

The heat situation is going to be a little different for everyone, to many other variables

The only other electrical component you need is the led driver. This acts as power supply with protection, and also can provide dimming control. After boards and driver you need wiring, connectors, and a power cord. Depending on which board you buy, you may need heatsink or to build a frame for them.

No spectrum control on standard qb build either. You pretty much just buy the cct you want, I would recommend 3000k or 3500k.

Anything listed as “V2” will be their most recent offering as far as the basic boards go.

1 Like

Nearing the end of week three and I am seeing not much height growth but the leaves look so healthy and strong. The color is perfect. Yes I know it is early and these signs make me feel really good. I am concerned about the actual height they have gained. Also the main stalk still seems thin but I am guessing that is why we put fans in place early on to force the plant to grow stiffer branches.

Here is what they look like

This is Meg the Maui.

This is the Durban Poison. Her name is Deb.

4 Likes

@TDubWilly @Nicky

2 Likes