My New Indoor Grow Cave

I am thinking about installing a surveillance camera system in each of my grow spaces to monitor the grow and while away, and maybe grab stills to make a time lap of the grow just for fun.

My question is, will the infrared light used for night vision interrupt the 12/12 light cycle during flower?

1 Like

Great question, don’t know the answer so I’m interested in seeing the answer. I’ll tag @dbrn32 he will probably know the answer.

1 Like

I was just curious, I was looking at a few different setups and the question just hit me. I haven’t been on in awhile and couldn’t think of who to tag.

I know I’ve seen people with infrared setups but not sure if they are anything special or just old school infrared.

found this:
One of the most overlooked but most important specification of IR illuminators is frequency. Most IR illuminators on the market are not one-hundred percent invisible to the human eye. Illuminators operating in the ranges of 750nM and 840/880nM emit a soft red glow when looking directly at the illuminator itself. For true stealth operation, select an illuminator that works at 940nM or greater.

and this which explains IR in more detail:
http://www.lymehub.com/info-on-infrared-light.php
and this:
http://cronodon.com/BioTech/Plants_FAQ.html

I personally tried it but freaked out nd pulled it to be safe.

1 Like

Out of likes. :+1:

I know there’s at least one grower here that uses one within issue. Post above makes sense too.

I’m going to say there are probably exceptions to which model and maybe even how many. I would never put my name on a blanket statement they are all perfectly fine. Ir can produce plant response with absence of red light. But I’m not sure what the required intensity at which exact wavelengths one would draw the line at. It’s like explaining why moonlight doesn’t ever cause plants to go hermaphrodite, because there’s no measurable intensity.

3 Likes

I tried it once but pulled it out because of the concerns people are raising. It didn’t affect the plant though.

750nm is on the edge of the being photosynthetic active.

2 Likes

@dbrn32, @Bulldognuts
Thanks for the info. I was thinking the same thing about the moon light. I just was not sure because my lights have IR chips and did know if the IR from the cameras would be that strong.
@MidwestGuy do you remember the post or what their concerns were?

2 Likes

I was referring to the concerns being raised earlier in this post.

1 Like

Got it thanks.

Probably depends on the camera.

1 Like

I agree i wonder if would be possible to find a system that would allow the night vision to be disabled. Sonthing to look into. I dont need to see them during lights out anyway

I put a piece of electrical tape over the LEDs of the appliances in my tent. I suppose it would work for a camera too.

2 Likes

The camera won’t see the plants if you do.

1 Like

I thinking the same thing about the tape.

So I decided to highjack my own post instead of starting a new one for my new grow. Iv got an old post about my old set up around here somewhere (Trying something new) I think. It had three built in closets that were just under 3x4x6.5. It worked at first then I got a few grows under my belt and all of a sudden it was too big yet at the same time too small.

It turned out that three closets were too many for me to keep up with(the too big part) and the whole room was too narrow( the too small part) so I decided to start form scratch and ended up with this.

I built carts to put the plants on so all I have to do is roll the whole thing out to the middle of the room to work, water, and clean plant. You can sort of see it here, the one on the right got too tall and had to remove from cart. Little shit stretched like crazy during first 2 weeks of flower.

This is the other side of the room.

I made the room almost Two feet wider,
rotated the closets counter clockwise 90 deg,
increased size of closets to 4x4x7 well almost 7,
added area between for air intake and exhaust,
upgraded lights to Mars Hydro lights, Left side TS 1000 x2, Right sp 150 x2

I removed the third closet and now I just use a wire shelf with my old blu/prp lights for starting plants.

I removed the drivers from the lights and mounted them outside the closet with the fan.

I actually put everything on the board and then attached it to the wall. I will post pic’s to the build for the right closet when the new lights and fan arrive, (about a week or so).
I will post more up close pic’s of the closets when I water later and pull the plats out.

5 Likes

I also orderded two weather stations is what they are calling them, but its just a wireless thermometer/hydrometer with two wireless sensors.

Im gona put a pair of sensors in each grow at different heights. To monitor with out having to open curtain.

Also got a digital ph pen and a ec/ppm pen.

And a digital usb microscope comming. Gonna be fun. Gotta love lockdown. Lol

1 Like

Finally got my two new lights today. Little disappointed the wire going from led driver to the led panel is way shorter than expected. No extra for removing the driver and installing outside grow. Unless i rewire, not sure if i want to void the warranty right off the get go. I will just wait and see how much they rais the temp. Might be a good thing being in the basement they tend to run on the colder side.