My neglected plant

This is my plant I never took care of. I planted it out too early in the spring, then it started to flower right away. Then it switched to veg again. It was always half yellow and did not look good. I figured it is not going to amount to anything so I left it alone. Never fertilized or sprayed it. To my surprise it has some bud on it, decent size. But it’s all yellow now. Someone told me I should harvest a plant when it turns yellow, because the color is going to spread to the bud. I thought she needed 2 more weeks or so. What do you think? The brown on one branch is not bud rot. It’s been there for a while. Looks more like sun burn.

2 Likes

It’s not ready, to many white pistils.
Your going to need a 15$ amazon USB microscope or a jewelers loup if you don’t have a smartphone, this will let you inspect the tricombs so you can see when the plants mature and ready for harvest.

Plants go yellow for two reasons
They are hungry or they are at the end of their life and dieing.
To yours was probably hungry

2 Likes

Yep, most likely hungry. I did use decomposted cow manure, but the hole was not big, and its clay soil all around. My other plants are not yellow yet.

2 Likes

Wish I had the weather to grow monsters, just to cold up here in Canada (most parts) with short seasons to grow stuff like that… For now, humans are helping warm the wold up. And I’m sure I’t will be beach front Florida like weather here before I’m retirement age

2 Likes

I live in new england, we too, have short growing season. This year it’s been so dry, we are in a drought right now. So far weather cooperates. We already had 1st frost. But now it’s beautiful outside. Hoping it stays that way, so the girls can finish.

1 Like

Me too in mid-coast Maine. 2-3 weeks would be great. P,S. Alaskian Purple at mom’s house had a good frost and seem fine.Killed her tom and squash but not her pot, 88 years old.

2 Likes

Wow! Good for her.

1 Like