My leaves are turning yellow and don’t know what to do

I’m a first time grower and need help.
My leaves are turning yellow and don’t know what to do.
Started getting yellow after 12 days.
They are on day 16 now.
I thought it was because of lack of nutrients in the soil so yesterday I transplanted to 1 gallon pot with good FFOF soil.
Started them in peat pods with seed grow soil.

Growing female Blueberry auto-flower and Strawberry kush from ILGM seeds.
Using Viparspectra 450 watt full spectrum LED.
Only using blue half (veg) until they are 3 weeks old.
Distance of 30-36” recommended by manufacturer.
Light at 18-6.
PH 6.0-6.5.
Temp 72-75.
Humidity 30-35%.
No nutrients used yet.
Will be using Fox farm trio later.
Any suggestions?

1 Like

Soil looks really damp. Are you letting them dry out really well between waterings? If you don’t it can lead to pythium and the roots won’t be able to uptake very well leading to a deficient look.

5 Likes

Checking pH? How often are you watering/how much? Definitely do not feed them for a few weeks, now that they’re in FFOF. That stuff will keep them happy for a bit. :grinning:

4 Likes

I just repotted them last night into FFOF.
Looks wet because it was just watered for the first time in this soil last night.
They were growing in peat pods until until now.

Was watering every few days when the soil was prettth dried out.
Been careful not to overwater.

3 Likes

Overwatering is the cause of the drooping. Make sure the soil is almost completely dry before watering again. They will perk up in a few days. Do you have a fan blowing to make those stems dance a little?

7 Likes

PH is 6.0-6.5.
I’m hoping the better soil will help.
Thanks for replying.

1 Like

What are you using to check your PH? 6.0 to 6.5 is way to wide of a range. You should be at 6.5 PH period.

2 Likes

1 Like

Rugar89.
Do you think low PH is causing the yellowing?

You need to by yourself a digital pH meter, you will need one if you want to keep your plants healthy…
Try to spray them (after that soil is dried) around the stem and not on the leaves. Like @MattyBear said you need a little breeze around them.
If your pH is at 6.0 so the plant is not getting potassium, calcium and magnesium (at least this 3).
Try to rise it a little higher next watering (6.8 will be fine I guess)

Nutrient_Chart2

2 Likes

Thanks.
I tried to find a digital one on Amazon but all the reviews said they’re not accurate. Can you recommend one that works well?

It very well could be. IMO the two most important tools used in growing is a good PH/PPM meter, and good lighting. You really need to invest in a good digital PH meter. You just cant get it dialed in to exact PH numbers using those drops. You can get by with a cheap $20 digital meter, but they need to be calibrated nearly every time you use them to keep them accurate. It just ends up being a pain in the ass. Money well spent would be in a meter in the $50 to $75range. Lots of members here use something like this one.
https://www.amazon.com/Apera-Instruments-AI209-Waterproof-Accuracy/dp/B078NPH1W3/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1518292919&sr=8-15&keywords=ph+meter

This is what I use.
https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-MW802-Digital-TDS-Meter/dp/B007Z4KIGU/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1518293368&sr=1-1&keywords=milwaukee+802

You will also need test solution to calibrate whatever meter you choose.
https://www.amazon.com/Calibration-Solution-7-0-Hydroponics-Processing/dp/B005GRGTLQ/ref=sr_1_4?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1518293814&sr=1-4&keywords=7.0+ph+test+solution

5 Likes

The Apera phb3. I love it. It’s one down from the Apera listed above. It comes with the same warranty, a case, and calibration solution. It’s about $40.

5 Likes

I got a cheap meter one of the yellow ones it was less than 20 and I never had a problem. It was never anymore than .2 off I used it for a few months with great sucess just make sure you keep calibration solution handy.

1 Like

Let me refer you to this thread as it gives lots of opinions on different meters from members of this forum.

4 Likes

The Apera is pretty popular. I have one and love it.

2 Likes

@Josephsv I had the same problem before. I learned that a plant mister is what I needed. Small plants just need to be misted with water a couple of times a day. That soil looks like what I use. I only mist with water until they have 2 sets of leaves showing. After that I give them a small amount of water around the plant only until they have about 4 nodes then I water them normally.

3 Likes

Thank you very much!!!
The info is greatly appreciated.
This is my first time using this forum.
Looks like there’s a lot of smart and helpful people.
I’ll update with new pictures in a couple of weeks.

1 Like

Ruger.
I just purchased a Aper PH20 ph meter.
I now have my water at 6.5 exactly.
My question is… after reading the instructions for this meter it states that it does NOT accurately measure distilled water. Does anyone use this same meter with distilled water?
I’m concerned that I’m now using the wrong PH level for my plants.

1 Like

I just purchased a Aper PH20 ph meter.
I now have my water at 6.5 exactly.
My question is… after reading the instructions for this meter it states that it does NOT accurately measure distilled water. Does anyone use this same meter with distilled water?
I’m concerned that I’m now using the wrong PH level for my plants.

1 Like