:>My Journal on Soil & Hydrophobic's

Lucy and her sister got there first taste of nutrients this morning 2/15/16 @ 9:00 am
Now they got 2 mi of Roberts Grow Booster and 2 mi Advance Micro and 2 mi of Grow mixed in one gal container of water. They will get the same thing every Monday for next 3 weeks then i’ll decide if they get more nutrients added.

Will

1 Like

This is a very interesting experiment which I look forward to watching, My thoughts regarding the soil /river rock barrier would be just to use simple garden cloth. Any aversions to that anyone?

Kris

I think I know what your talking about and I have taken notes on that idea and definitely will check into it.
A few of you have brought up the same thing and have added very informative information on this experiment and I will be correcting this in the next grow.
Thank you all and keep thoughs thoughts comming.

Will

2 Likes

when I posted the AIT link month or so ago Will Corey and I were curious about it’s result I am just glad one of us bit the bullet on it I wouldn’t have used a barrier myself since it didn’t appear to have one in video. I would assume any kind of barrier would reduce airflow to roots and if anything would’ve suggested a bug screen

The air flow to the top I do believe is being restricted do to the 3 sheets if paper as Donald suggested.
After considering what you all have put in i’m thinking of taking Lucy from her home for a minute and drain everything out and redo the paper towel with cloth and put the soil and Lucy back and replace the water and see if I get better air flow through the soil to the top.
I believe it will work much much better and Lucy will love it even more…lol

Will

I went to an arts and crafts store and got some plastic screens that they use to make yarn pictures out of. Works really well in keeping the soil where it belongs. From TxGrowman’s idea…let’s air thru, reusable, the holes are small enough to stop soil

think this was one of the original links

Will, just a suggestion about using coffee filters.
The coffee filters, even when I rinsed them good, caused problems when I used them before on a lot of different plants. Not on MJ but I killed a lot of vegetables and herbs before I stopped using them. If you do, there are some filters that are acid-free in making them that would likely be better. Just an observation that I had.
Jerry

1 Like

Yup thats it you found it. I just went by what i saw and it left a big impression on me. Didn’t he use paper towel. Oh hell ill just play the video…lol
No he didn’t say. Anyway i’m going to change that out maybe later tonight if I can’t sleep.

Will

lol like I said a site for the OCD

3 Likes

I found this video enlightening he introduces 2 very interesting points 1 seed starting his leaf tipping idea may have use? and second he did away with stones entirely.

Lol that’s for sure but every one here being OCD about there stuff, is actually pretty beneficial lol, put a community of OCD people together you get a kick ass forum lol

1 Like

See above is an example of evolution in grow tech someone said why add stones and suddenly a light comes on (you know that I am such a dumbass light) and then the why didn’t I think of that? Then the end result is some very simplified version of an overly complicated system lol
If you notice video is by same company :wink:

Ok Tex, can’t thank you enough. I was just about to use the coffee filters.
But what you just stated rules that out completely.
I’m now thinking on the line of what @pigSquishy
had to say about what he had used and Donald as well.

1 Like

Glad I came up with some useful advise today I also found his theory on trimming leaf tips interesting I will have to try that one for myself lmao

Keep up the science buddy :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m watching as I type this and now im going wtf …lol No rocks or paper towels.
Thank you Donald…now i’ll go out tonight and redo Lucy and she’ll be just fine

Will

2 Likes

I heard him talking about the leaf tips, but didn’t fully understand. Did he say he cuts every leafs tip? Or just some? Sounds pretty interesting. And what was that mini DWC he had? I’d love to build one!

Use a window screen with small holes cut a square out or even a sunscreen you can get a roll at home depot for 40$ the sunscreen comes in black or tan it’d last you forever and window screen would only be about 10-20$ for the size you’d need :wink:.

Just my opinion

1 Like