My frosty lil ak 47 is about done!

thanks. ive got a question so heres what i understand is happening with how the bud develops my question comes at the end. so when the flower begins it basically starts as pistols, and from those pistols follows a calyx which swells and gets covered in tricomes which are at first clear. then more pistols appear and so on until bud is formed. tricomes also cover the bud leaves to which always seem to go amber first beacause they are there the longest i think. so my question is lets say there a flower in the 6th or 7th week of flowering and im checking the tricomes, yes i see a little amber and a little cloudy but if the flowers still shooting pistols and calyxs are still swelling with new tricomes how do the new tricomes fit into the picture? do you wait till all have swelled and no new tricomes are developing so you just wait for the new ones to go cloudy?

2 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971
ive got a question for you bro up^

1 Like

Ok what you want to do is watch pistols they will turn red or brown in color
And no new pistols will be pushing out this tell you the flowers are fully developed at that point you want to watch your tricombes
I normally start monitoring my tricombes when i have 80% red pistols
Then i check tricombes for proper colors
And you should check multiple spots on a plant normally top will have more color then the lower stuff
I normally take mine when i have 80% cloudy 20% amber
You can harvest anytime after the tricombes go cloudy or milky thc is at its peak at this point
More amber more couch lock
Does that answer your question @Mickanooch

2 Likes

@Countryboyjvd1971 you covered that well, and to add to what @Mickanooch was asking, any new pistils added after most have turned brown, this is known as fox failing. Fox tailing can occur from stress, or can be strain genetics.
My experience was, when this happened to me, the trichomes werenā€™t ready yet when it started fox tailing. They were mostly clear. So even though it flowers longer, you would wait until you saw mostly white, or cloudy and probably a few Amber trichomes before the chop. Maybe someone that has had more Fox tails could chime in if what Iā€™m saying different. That was just one strain example.

3 Likes

That was well said @Covertgrower. I see a lot of genetic foxtailing now. Most of it is just buds bulking up but a few get a little longer than others.

3 Likes

Thanks @MattyBear. When you had additional Fox tailing what did your trichomes look like? Iā€™m curious.

1 Like

They all started clear and I let them get all milky and the big ā€œnormalā€ buds were about 20-30% amber. The best example would be my NL auto, but I donā€™t have any pics on my phone, unfortunately. That was a grow last Spring.

1 Like

@MattyBear You described it well enough with out pictures.
My THC bomb had fox tailing, but most trichomes were still milky, white, and only a few amber, while the tailing was still occurring. Maybe the autoflower genes had a role in how fast it progressed with how much amber she had. Just a thought with out someone elseā€™s input on another fox tailing incident.

2 Likes

For sure. Thatā€™s why I love growing because every grow is different and you get to see new cool stuff all the time!

2 Likes

thanks boys that helps me understand it better now, i have read loads about when to harvest and understand how 80 -20 is best a but nothing seemed to explain what about already having a 80 20 and then these new tricomes appear and how that effected your 80 20 like now its a 70cloudy 20amber 10clear. i did notice those fresh foxtails have clear trics and got me thinking,. @Covertgrower @MattyBear @Countryboyjvd1971. sorry about my stoned attempt of my question wasnt clear countryboy.

2 Likes