My first time growing

Oh I also forgot to mention I received my replacement Northen Lights seeds and it germinated! I’m excited this was the one I was most looking forward to

4 Likes

Ok light question and @dbrn32 I’ve read you are the go to for this lol I have $1000 saved up for lights, I’m unsure which way I want to go LED or HPS, I’ve been reading topic after topic but I haven’t found anything that directly relates to the room I’m building. I know LED is the coolest, least expensive for the electric bill, etc here’s a run down of the area I need to light. I’m converting my spare bedroom into a grow room (carpet comes up this week I’m excited) I want to be able to grow 6 plants at a time. I’ve been looking at HLG 600 rspec would that be big enough to light 6 flowering plants? I also was looking at T12 set ups as well. What would you recommend? I’m fortunate that I have a whole room to use with individual ac unit and heater sp I can climate control the room seperate from the rest of my house, so cooling isn’t an issue.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes: wow that’s a hell of a lot of lights! Very nice, good luck with your light purchases

2 Likes

Thank you! I have been taking around $200 from each paycheck for the last 6 weeks, I went on HLG site and gasped at how spendy they were so I definitely won’t cry if it’s less than that lol I just wanted to make sure I got what I needed

2 Likes

So I have HLG lights and actually still use them in 3 tents, but I got a new light about 3 months ago. Check out ChilLED Tech DIY light kits. I have the X3 for my 4x2 tent and there is a noticeable difference between the buds in the X3 tent versus the HLG tent. HLG makes great lights, but ChilLED Tech could be a gamechanger for you.

2 Likes

Googling now! Thank you for the tip!

1 Like

My husband’s an electrician so he told me find out what you want and I’ll order them and get the room set up. (He gets discounts at the supply houses mwahhaha)

2 Likes

The 6 plants will depend on how large you plan to grow them. You’ll want to buy lights to cover a specific area in ft² or m². What you do from there will just be a matter of how long you plan veg your plants and/or specific training methods you want to use. There are some that could fit 6 plants into a 2x4 tent and others that will tell you they struggle to get 2 plants into a 4x4 tent. You don’t have the limitations of a tent, but you will want to make sure your lights are adequate for size of plant canopy you intend to run.

If you’re not aspiring to do anything special I would plan on each plant taking up about a 2’x2’ area of floor space. As long as plants are grouped together 6 plants would probably look like a 6’x4’ canopy or 12’x2’ canopy. Does this sound like what you have in mind?

2 Likes

The plant racks we started to build are 6ft by 6ft with height adjustment 3ft up to 4 inches above the ground. I have lower back issues so being able to raise the seedlings up to lights and drop them as the grow taller is going to be really nice. I’ll post pics when he finishes it weds. I’m going to stick with autflowers but not amnesia haze again after these seeds are gone she’s 6ft tall right now and my blueberry is just under 4ft. So smaller plants preferably

1 Like

Hmm, I figure you may as well plan on 6’x6’ then?

1 Like

Sounds like a good plan to me. I also should mention I live very north so it’s cold here like 8 months out of the year so keeping things cool will be easy, what are your thoughts on the metal halide lights, and HPS? Or is LED the way to go?

1 Like

I think they all kind of have their place. Imo with that much canopy makes it kind of difficult to use hps. 600’s are most performance per dollar, and a 6x6 is too big for two 600’s and not quite big enough for four 600’s. But you’ll run into similar issues with led lights too. Most of them are also designed for 4x4ish canopy.

Do you think your husband would be interested in building led fixtures for you?

1 Like

He said he would be more than happy to lol happy wife happy life :rofl:

2 Likes

Have him take a look at this video. If you did like 4 of these kinda small squareish lights would give you ability to kinda plug and play as needed or move them around a little.

I don’t think you could do four of these on $1000 budget. But we could probably use different led module and smaller driver and get close.

1 Like

Thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to help me! I will send him this now

1 Like

Still chugging along :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Mutant northern lights… I was like huh that’s weird lol

5 Likes

This is going to be cool to grow out!

2 Likes

Did this plant turn into a herm or are these swollen calyxs? I had myself calmed down that it was calyxs then I googled more pictures and now I’m unsure…

3 Likes

Pistils coming out of them says they’re calyx.

3 Likes