My first solo grow

So this is my first solo grow. Any tips and tricks would be really helpful. I’ll be starting with the strain afghan and I will be growing indoors. I keep hearing about scrog and topping but very unsure how to go about it with a first plant. And also basically what a beginner should and shouldn’t be doing and also how to get good yield and quality yandi

2 Likes

My suggestion is read, plan, and ask questions BEFORE you attempt anything. There are lots of experienced growers here that will help you get to a successful harvest. Let’s start with your grow space. What are you working with?

3 Likes

2metre high @ 1.2metre x 1.2metre wise… won’t be using soil or clay. Will be using rock wool and bloom nutrients

1 Like

You’ll want some reflective material on the walls to maximize your light. Mylar or flat white paint will work fine. What kind of lighting are you planning?

I’m a soil grower myself and I’m sure one of our soilless growers can help with your medium.

If you get a good start, your chances of a good finish are much better.

1 Like

I have a seahawk grow tent from Aqua gardening in Queensland here in Australia. The light that I’m using is this…

will be using 2 part grow nutrients and 2 part flowing nutrients. Obviously not at the same time. This is a pic of the tent

1 Like

Ah ok, you’ll need to exhaust your tent. A carbon filter and a fan to pull out warm air and scrub the smell. I haven’t used CFLs so I’ll see if our lighting guys can help with those. @dbrn32

I’m in no way any kind of expert but the two best tips I can offer are: 1. dont overwater. Plants deal with underwatering better than overwatering. You can always add more water. 2. Ph your water EVERY watering. Incorrect ph will most certainly cause problems down the road that can easily be avoided.

Everything I’ve learned, I’ve learned from the fine folks here! :grin:

5 Likes

Yeah I’m organising a vent fan and charcoal filters. Ok so not overwatering is easy. How do I test my ph levels and what is the optimum level mate? With watering my plant because I use rock wool, it creates a reservoir at the bottom of the bucket, I use a strainer cut and siliconed into the top of the bucket with rock wool in it. Once my seed has germinated I then place it into the rock wool with the tap root down. It forces the root system to search for a water source creating a huge root system. So I check ph levels in the reservoir or the levels in the rock wool

Please dont take this as gospel as I’m a soil grower but I believe 5.8 ph is optimum for your method. A digital ph meter is a must. I use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Apera-Instruments-AI209-Waterproof-Accuracy/dp/B01ENFOHN8?tag=greenrel-20

You’ll need a TDS meter also to monitor nutrient levels.

3 Likes

How big is that cfl?

1 Like

Wow that’s really helpful thank you. And the instructions for use will be there to explain how to use it I would assume? Lol. What’s the go with topping and scrog and should I apply these techniques to my first grow or wait till I have more “skill”

1 Like

What is cfl mate?

When you’re growing inside, you’ll almost certainly need to employ low stress training of some sort. I topped and scrogged my first grow. It’s not difficult, helps control height and also helps expose lower bud sites and increases yield.

Cfl is “compact florescent light” that’s the bulb in your picture.

2 Likes

Your bulb, it’s a compact fluorescent. How many watts?

3 Likes

@Grubby…does Grubby know there is a Free Grow Book download on this site?
Lots of good info there. Like the importance of PH. And the difference in desired PH range for soil and hydro.

3 Likes

Yep, you can get that grow bible here:

1 Like

It’s an 85 watt mate and yeah I have the grow bible but prefer to get it from the horses mouth so to speak.

1 Like

Thanks mate. Already downloaded it. Just like to speak to the professionals lol. Get it straight from the horses mouth so to speak.

Yeah got the bible. Have read through it but like to speak with avid growers and see what works with for them and possibly merge the different styles of growing to get the best quality yandi

1 Like

So when would I set up the scrog? At what stage in the growth? Or have it set up straight away? Also how far off the top of the unit that the plant is in should the scrog sit. ??

1 Like

You’re gonna have problems flowering with an 85 watt cfl. If it’s something like 5000-6500k will do ok for vegging. But trying to flower with it you’ll end up with small fluffy buds.

3 Likes