My First Scrog Journey

How are you doing mate the new baby hasn’t slowed you to much :+1:. I have not set the screen at a set hight yet what would you recommend the plant is an indica with a full growing height off 100cm to 140cm, and from what I have look up it can get very bushy what do you recommend tho mate please :v:.

3 Likes

@dbrn32 so I have topped once you think that is ok? And when it comes to fimming how do you feel about that and how I should go about it anyone else with opinions just jump in i would love lots off opinions and ideas for this grow.

4 Likes

@Johnzy81
Your plant looks great buddy! I’ve only topped my plants, never fimmed, so an experienced opinion is needed there. Topping, for me, just seems easier. I top mine after the 4th to 6th node. First node being the first “true” set of leaves, usually 3 finger.

3 Likes

Thanks mate and how many times would you top her? And would you top the same tops or some side stems also, I hope that makes sense. :v:.

1 Like

If you recall that bushy plant I had, I FIMM’d all of the blooms twice, and let some time pass in between each time I FIMM’d. Here is a pic of that plant (if you recall).

9 Likes

I keep reading pros and cons on FIM and crop. Most theories contradict each other. FIM appears to be the best for the plant. Curious about this…

1 Like

Here. Good guide to help you
Screen are normally set 20-25 inches above pots letting your plant grow up into it

7 Likes

I would agree with @Countryboyjvd1971 on a screen that big, probably at least 20” over pot. It will give you the room to work with training branches to the edges of screen. On something that size you’ll also want at least 4 main branches, one to work with in every direction. In my opinion doesn’t really matter how you get them. You could top again or fim each top you have now.

We’re all doing pretty good btw, thanks for asking!

5 Likes

@Johnzy81 I’m getting ready for a scrog myself, the first run I did was a small one, just to get my feet wet, I don’t have much (experience)advice on scroging, but I’m all ears on what other members have to say. Best of luck and im here set to watching, by the way plant looks super strong and healthy. Keep up the good work my friend!!

5 Likes

Your plants look nice and healthy. I’m attempting to just grow this year with no manipulation so I’m following you re: fim, topping & scrog :blush:

2 Likes

This was last years scrog one plant 4x8 foot screen

9 Likes

Some general advice for the SCROG: topping is good and can balance the plant, done right which helps load the screen. I run mine around 24" above the ground including the pot. Once you start tucking and weaving, side branches will start to become tops. Eventually you will have hundreds.

I would advise NOT putting multiple plants into one SCROG as it makes it impossible to do any work on one without the other.

I try to stay under my screen rather than go over; it makes it easier to release the plant from the screen. It just lifts off with some persuading.

7 Likes

@Johnzy81 I do mine similar to @Myfriendis410 as the metal mess screen just holds the branches down horizontal . When I need to trim or inspect the plants I just raise the screen and remove the plant . As the plant gets older and the branches are already trainer to lay flat I leave the screen up as it is not needed . Zip ties are just tight enough to hold the up when not in use . I lowered the screen to take this picture . It will be harvested this evening . Waiting for New York State to give us the green light so I can do a outdoor scrog

. Soon I hope !

5 Likes

I’ve done both fimm and top; personally I prefer to top. In my limited experience, fimm seems to be hit or miss, and maybe it the control freak in me but I like to be able to predict my plants responses to pruning and topping is just more of a sure thing to me. As far as topping your plant any further, that really depends on your preference. If you want a more even canopy of medium bud size, then you could top once or twice more. If you prefer maybe 8-10 larger colas than I’d probably stay where you’re at currently.

3 Likes

Thank you all for your replys folk’s I really appreciate it big time, I am going to be using the wire mesh with this scrog I was thinking putting my screen at between 20-25 inches, I’m growing just 1 plant in a 4×4 tent so anymore opinions on topping and fimming, I will read the link that CB has posted up for me and also take all off that in mind, it’s filling up my scrog with just one plant in a big tent that has me wondering how much I should LST and top or fim to fill it, and I always try to give a 5-10 day rest period between stressing with the plant,. Again thank you all for the help and let me say hello to all off our friend’s I will get to do some catching up on my reading on everyone’s thread’s :v:.

5 Likes

I have just read through most of the info on scroging in the ILGM tutorial that CB posted for me it says 10-20 :hushed:, plants in a 4×4×6 and now I’m thinking am I just going to be wasting alot of energy lights and so on and idea’s folk’s please I will be settling the scrog down first thing in the morning any help friend’s you know I appreciate it all please thanks :v:

1 Like

That sounds like a SOG - With the Sea of Green, you have many small clones and no screen. Many tiny plants that are like a carrot on a stick. I had 25 of these in a 3x3 tent.

You can scrog with 1 and up, @raustin only has one in hers, and I have 2 this time. Don’t get discouraged with it quite yet.

9 Likes

Ah clones mate off course I have never taken any off to grow with but I will some day nice one @Budbrother yeah. :v:

I tried a SOG but found I prefer a SCROG

1 Like

@Budbrother is right, that’s a SOG. A SCROG is normally one plant, one screen, though many people will SCROG more than one plant per screen.

3 Likes