My first outside grow…

This is going to be the journal for my first outside grow. Any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated.
I started these two 9 days ago in my garden next to my sweet corn. They are either both Banana Kush, both GSC, or one of each. I guess I’ll know soon enough. They are both autos from ILGM, and I am growing in a mixture of peat, FFHF, and a top soil from Wal Mart. I’m not really putting a lot of special effort into these, just going to let them grow like they do in the great outdoors.

This one is a three strain hybrid from Mephisto I got with my last purchase. It’s in a 5 gallon pot filled with FFHF and FFOF, half and half and is out by my raised planters. I figured I would have a control group to my experimental. It was planted directly in the pot 3 days ago.

8 Likes

I have found that doing a little LST with auto’s can increase your yield by almost double. I had 2 Zkittlez indoors, did some lst on 1, an not the other, and it made a quite a difference without much effort. Can wait to see these grow, Good luck. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Good luck! I just started my second outdoor grow. Other than the bugs, I really enjoyed it…I have to spray them tonight… I found an aphid on one of the leaves I removed yesterday :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :beetle:

1 Like

What do you use? Neem oil?

2 Likes

Well, If it is aphids, I spray them down with plain water, let the leaves dry and hit them with Captn Jacks Dead Bug. I alternate with Captn Jacks, Dr. Zymes, and Plant Therapy. I also got a sample from the hydroponics store of Trifecta and the plants really seemed to like that stuff. In fact, they like the Plant Therapy too… not sure why but they do but the other two, really stop the bad infestations.

2 Likes

If you can plant marigolds and dill, and purchase some lady bugs, I also use green lacewigs as well, that will help. @Caligurl @LongtimeListener_FirsttimeCaller. I had issues last year because I was lazy and didn’t plant any thing, this year, different story. Once I get things done I will post on my journal.

2 Likes

You’re going to like growing outside, Good Soil and Nukes and bug control and plenty of Sunlight and you will produce Big plants full of tasty Buds Good Luck with your Grow!

3 Likes

I planted all that stuff last year and it did nothing to control pests. I even bought 10,000 ladybugs and lacewing eggs. The lacewings do hang around and I love their little egg sacs (very cool) but they still couldn’t control the aphid infestation that I had. This year, I’m trying praying mantis…

2 Likes

What about diatomaceous earth? I’ve heard that’s good for keeping insects off your plants.

2 Likes

I’ve tried that…I just don’t know how good it works after a few waterings. I tried it once for fungus gnats and it did nothing :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

FYI- I use DE as a foilar spray also. I was told by my nursery nearby to completely cover the container top /soil with DE all over. I just generously sprinkled all around. Still awaiting results.
Oh,and I have used neem oil in the past. This year I have a Neem/Karanga mix worked into the top 3" of soil.

Good luck!

SL out.

1 Like

Garden plants, day 11.

5 gallon pot, day 5.

1 Like

Take note of the single cotyledon in the second photo. Is this a deal breaker? I’ve never had this happen before.

Might be just a little slower to start but shouldn’t make a difference once it gets a few true leaves.

1 Like

I have really good luck growing my plant’s in a 1 gallon pot until they get a good root system, then then digging a hole and filling it up with a high quality potting soil I also put a granular insecticide in the bottom of my hole to kill any underground pest like cut worms, once I lost a few plants i started doing this

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! I’m just doing an au natural grow in the garden (just dropped the seeds and letting them do their own thing). I have another in the 5 gallon fabric pot in a little more of a controlled environment, ie nutes, a little less open to the elements, etc. I’m wanting to do a little experiment to see how a plant grows on its own (as it has done for thousands of years) compared to what effect the human element has. I know that sounds fairly obvious, but I’m bored. :joy::joy::grinning:

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with trying different ways, I been trying different things since I been growing, some worked some didn’t I’m trying cayenne pepper sprinkled around my plant’s something want’s to dig at night actually pulled a plant up mabey it will burn the rodents eyes

1 Like

Nice! That is brutal but comical.

1 Like

12 days in the garden and these girls are loving the sun!

6 days in the pot and sun and MG hybrid is looking pretty good as well.

2 Likes

Growing like weed. :rofl::rofl: looking good so far.

1 Like