My first grow LED and seedling question

Seeds came in yesterday, nestled in warm paper towels right now. My question is, I have a Cal. Light Works Solar Systems 550, which seems like overkill for my (hopefully) 10 seedlings. I’m growing in a 5X5X8 Gorilla grow tent. Can I just place some LED lights on them for say a week, or just use my light at a lower veg setting until they get bigger. Seems to me that having the same light the whole time would make for happier plants, but then, as far as growing goes, I’m blind in one eye and can’t see out of the other. Thanks in advance for any help, I’ve got more questions, but let’s get through this first.

1 Like

Lower the light setting until they are established. Seedlings and young plants don’t need that much light :v:

4 Likes

To answer your question Yes you could use some led bulbs if in the right spectrum 4000k is a good range for seedlings but I would do as suggested by @MattyBear
Since you have the ability

2 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me. This light has the ability to set each color setting from 1 to 99. It notes that a run of the mill, generic veg setting is R50/W99/B99. My guess is I can set it to half, say R25/W50/B50 and try 24" or set it to R13/W26/B26 and put it 18" above the plants on a 18/6 light cycle. Am I in the ballpark?

1 Like

Sounds reasonable to me. @dbrn32 might know more about your specific light tho. I know he’s busy today so he’ll chime in when he gets a chance :v:

1 Like

I’m sure you can dim light significantly and compensate with height either way. I’ve never put my hands on one to be able to tell you exactly how to set it though. If you go to their website I think they have tutorials on light setup. I would check those out to see whatever info they give you.

1 Like

Thanks. I set it at 1/4 of the veg strength, at 18". They started stretching so I lowered it to 12". They seemed to like that better.

2 Likes