My first grow journal

Seems like a lot of us have committed to Nectar for our next rounds. I have no complaints on GH though. Just trying organic next.

@bob31 do you know if this potting soil is any good?

1 Like

That is the kind a lot of us use. Kind of harsh on seedlings, but great for growing.

Man that is expensive, goes for $15 at the local hydro storeā€¦

2 Likes

Yes that seems expensive to me as well. I like ffof but I use ffhf happy frog instead of ocean forest. Itā€™s a little easier on sprouts and seedlings @Lenardt

@bob31 how long should I wait until I water my plant again? The top layer is just starting to dry up.

@Lenardt

about mid way between the stem and the side of the pot stick your finger into the soil and go down to the first knuckle. When it is dry that deep it is ready to be watered. Also do the lift test. When they are full of water they are pretty heaven and when the dry out they are very light.

So how long has it been since you watered? @Lenardt

Last time I watered was last on Wednesday @bob31

Lift that pot, it must feel pretty light? Are the leaves drooping at all? When you are learning to read your plants it is good to take them as far as they will go. When the leaves start to droop they are thirsty.

And when they are full of water they droop as well, but a few hours later they perk up again!

@bob31 Yeah it does feel lighter since I put water in there. The leaves are not really drooping. Do you think I should water it? Oh btw I got my seeds in the mail today.

2 Likes

I would lift it a couple times and get a feel for it and go ahead and water.

Make sure you lift it when itā€™s full of water so you can learn to feel the difference. @Lenardt

@Lenardt my first grow I filled an extra pot I had with soil, and kept it next to the tent. I used it the first couple weeks as a comparison of what a dry pot weighs. Took about 2 weeks and I quit comparing and ā€œjust knewā€ by the weight of the planted potsā€¦

1 Like

@bob31 @Ron330 is it okay to use the same soil twice after one plant is done?

@bob31 @Ron330 Iā€™ve got this ā€œmerical grow autogardenā€ from my sister Iā€™m wondering if it will be good to grow in there itā€™s like a little hydroponic system.

@Lenardt I have never used my soil twice, I just figured the small investment in 2 bags of soil is worth the many ounces I get in return. If I had no options, I would re-use, I mean what choice do you have, lucky I havenā€™t had that situation yet. But please wait for more opinions,

And I know nothing of the Miracle Gro Autogarden or hydroponics. I am strictly a soil guy. The ones I seen on Amazon seem small, more for kitchen herbs, but like I said, I really have no idea on them. Can you post a pic of it, or a link to Amazon of the same model you have.

I dump mine on the compost pile and recycle it into the veggie garden. The soil is basically spent after harvest.

1 Like

how about a pic or something @Lenardt

@bob31

@bob31 Iā€™ve put a seed in the water this morning, I just checked on it and it sank to the bottom. How long do I leave it in there @Ron330

Get a spoon and scoop it up and float it again. @Lenardt

Alright sheā€™s floating again, I put it in this morning at 8:00, how long do I leave it in there? Do I plant it right away or leave it in a damp napkin for so long? @bob31