My first grow journal! Not my first grow... Forest Fruits Autofem

Awesome. :+1:

It’s a day to rejoice brothers and sisters! Yes today is a day for celebration. Felicia is dead! Ding dong and soforth. Hucked in the yard like an empty beer can. She’s not coming back from this one. One down two to go…

Happens man. :rose: gone but soon forgetten. Lessons everywhere. Even in failure

Well, it’s over. I have hulked out in a fit of rage and murdered the last of my sickly autoflower plants. What a fiasco.

When I pulled the last survivor, who happened to be Roxanne, she had practically no roots coming from the plug. I had been waiting very patiently for such a long time, but I can see now that it was a good thing to cut my losses and start over with some plants that hopefully want to grow. It doesn’t look like those roots were ever going to reach the solution.

I have dropped one seed of the feminized waikiki queen in water. It’s an experiment again as I had always just put them in a rooting cube straight away, but this is how I’ve read other people do it. So here goes!

I still don’t really know what I did wrong this time, but I’ve never had this problem before so maybe it was just a fluke. The whole setup is going to get broken down and washed today in preparation for my new girl on the way. With luck this grow journal will actually have some growth again soon. I figure that once she gets big enough, I will take several clones and get the best four going in the box. After that last failure I don’t want to waste more than one of my precious seeds at a time.

Happy Labor Day! It’s my first two day weekend in several months.

Should I start a new journal in honor of the new plants, or should I just continue to update this one?

Some plants just need more care and feeding when you move them from your seedling station to your bigger net pots in DWC/RDWC. I’ve had a couple of them do that, and I just had one that got stem rot on me. As a result I always top feed until I visibly see roots in the water. Usually I leave them in my cloner until the roots are long enough to make it to the water in the bigger buckets.

It’s a new day! It’s a new plant! It’s the same grow journal. I hope someone enjoys the read.

Ladies and gentlemen… It is both my duty and one of my life’s greatest pleasures to introduce to you our next guest. Hailing from the depths of paradise itself, where every day is a blessing, and each night its own reward. This lady is no commoner. Give reverence if you will to the Waikiki Queen. Introducing, Delilah.

I don’t have the best camera ever, so I don’t know if you can tell from the picture or not, but this plant actually contains all of my hope for the future. All of my dreams for my life and that of my family. Indeed the welfare of this seedling may have life changing implications. But I digress.

It has been said, or at least I have heard it said that cleanliness is next to godliness. If that adage rings true then my hydro setup must be descendant of the fabled Annunaki. It took me a couple of hours but I have dismantled my entire setup and washed each bucket with antibacterial soap. The reservoir itself got bleached, along with the water hoses and the pump. The slate is clean. It’s a blank page. Preparations are complete.

This time is going to be different. Everything’s coming up Filthyhat.

Delilah is just beautifully perfect, and your journal a pleasure to read. Good luck with the grow.

An ABSOLUTE pleasure. Journals like this are why i love the site. Dude ull kill this. Nice clean up prep. And pretty lil lady. Lets get this show rolling!

Apparently the curse has not lifted. Delilah spent one night in the flower chamber. When i woke up I was greeted by crispy, canoe shaped leaves. The temp never exceeded 76f that night. I had put her in roughly one third strength gh nutes and nothing else.

I had the light about 38 inches from the top of the plant, but I did put it on full with both switches. I’m guessing it may be the light. Maybe I should rename that section of the box as the death chamber.

As it turns out after all that fanfare Delilah was only an imposter. She was not from Waikiki and never really queen at all. When I decided to start a couple more seeds I discovered that Delilah was in fact a purple power plant. Go figure. I am frequently stoned.

So I have soaked the last two of my purple power plant seeds and they are nestled comfortably in their rooting plugs now. Wish them luck.

Nine days it’s been! Oh, how the time flies when you’re killing plants.

Those last survived two nights in the Death Chamber. They were looking pretty good, each was working on its second set of leaves so I lovingly planted them in their six inch net pots, gave them roughly one third of the recommended dose of the GH nutes, plopped them under the LED and watched them die slowly.

I raised the light to 48 inches above the seedlings. I left the light on the veg setting, where it is pulling about 120 watts from the wall. I felt like that shouldn’t have killed my plants. If anything I was worried about getting a lot of stretch from the light being so far away.

Technically, they’re still alive. As soon as I saw the first one starting to get crispy I jerked them out of their six inch net pots and put them into some three inch net pots that I had. Back under the CFLs they went.

This is basically how the veg room is supposed to work.

So yeah much like the other ones these ladies haven’t had the dignity to just go ahead and die. Instead they taunt me with their tiny little leaves, saying “No, I’m not dead yet. Continue to care for me!” So, I continue to care for them, but in my heart of hearts, I no longer care for them.

Maybe with the next few I should save myself a whole lot of time and just smash the seeds with a hammer. That way I don’t have to wait for them to die slowly. It just seems more efficient.

Never give up, never surrender! Wracking my brain has brought me to the realization that all of the seeds which have died on me have been the fancy schmancy Amsterdam seeds. Is there even a chance that there is something wrong with those seeds? I don’t know, but we’re all about to find out.

I have started some bag seeds. A plethora of seeds! How many is a plethora? No idea. I have started fourteen seeds. Fourteen horrible and ravenous little goblins each scrabbling for a piece of my tired soul. Fourteen will be an ultimate test. Can I possibly manage to kill fourteen plants at one time? Methinks maybe yes. I’m that good.

I think I may be on to something this time. If I can grow these bag seeds into anything larger than a praying mantis, doing the same things that I have been doing with the Amsterdam seeds, then I know there has got to be something wrong with the Amsterdam seeds. I’m praying with you Mr. Mantis. We need all the help we can get.

In the meantime I have washed, bleached and thoroughly rinsed everything hydro related for my next attempt. Here we go again.

Oh no! I wish I could help you figure out what you’re doing wrong, but I’m not a hydro gal. Good luck with the bag seed.

I think you’re killing them with the nutes. They say they don’t need any until the little round leaves shrivel up and fall off. But I’m just getting started maybe someone else can verify. But crispy burnt looking leaves is definitely the sign of it.

@Filthyhat I believe @DoobieNoobie is correct. You don’t need to feed until the first 2 feeder leaves start to yellowing and falling off

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I sometimes wish that I were better about keeping track of exactly what I do to these things. That’s really what the grow journal was for but when everything started dying I got lazy.

I honestly don’t think it’s the nutes, but I did come here looking for opinions and I value the input. That’s why I started so many seeds this time. This way I can try nuting a few, not nuting some and so forth. Could it be so simple?

The early stages don’t look like nute burn to me. The leaves don’t brown around the edges so much as they just dry up and die. But I will definitely try not feeding some this time and see what happens.

I’m leaning towards either my tap water being less than optimal or the seeds not really being viable. Growing pot has never been this difficult. Either way hopefully the answer will become apparent in the next couple of weeks.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Tap water? Do you let it sit for 24 to 48 hrs to gas off (let the chlorine evoperate) this is important as chlorine can kill them espically when so young and sensitive

have you considered mounting that fan on the wall and putting in a fourth plant?

also, im no expert but maybe in the wood or styrofoam there is off-gassing from industrial production chemicals? That may not be good for your little girls. I really like your setup and you clearly put good effort in there, but consider upgrading to a larger multi room grow tent?

I have not been doing that @Sirsmokes. With my crazy schedule it’s been a lot easier to just fill it up and plop em in. There’s another possibility right there. I’m toying with the idea of buying water for this next round.

Thing is I have added plants to existing solution well after any chlorine should have evaporated with the same results. Some of these new plants will be getting fresh tap water as I’m ruling out bad seeds but I will keep some back for a day or so to check that possibility.

@basementstealth actually I have thought of that. I have lids for that container with one hole all the way up to four holes. I even thought I used to have one with two holes for the six inch net pots, but it seems like it cracked in the middle.

If you look real close you’ll see that there is no plant left in the center pot. I’ve just kept it in there to basically plug up the hole. I should maybe change over to the two hole lid, but the paint on the bottom of that one didn’t stick as well so I’m afraid it might let light in. I have battled with algae in my reservoir in the past and found that it is much easier to just light proof everything from the start.

I have grown plants in this box! I suppose it’s possible that there could be some kind of off gassing, but the cabinet is about five years old. Most of its life it has sat unused. I would think that any off gassing from the wood itself should be done by now? When I originally started growing pot about twelve years ago I don’t remember tents being such a big thing as they are now. Back then there were lots of people on the forums with homemade wooden grow boxes.

My next big project is actually going to be some panda film enclosures. I had wanted to just buy some 4x8 tents but I am working with a super tight budget so diy panda film tents it is. I’ve already built the frame for one of them from reclaimed pallet wood, but the rest are liable to be made from PVC when I can come up with the money. I reckon I can build four of them for less than the cost of one decent tent. But that is another story, for another time after I have relearned how to grow marijuana. My cabinet isn’t likely going anywhere for the time being.

just a thought. lol its a really nice setup and i hesitated saying anything about the materials. I guess i just dont understand the problem with your grow. Maybe after you cleaned everything itll grow for you like it used to…

Hey @basementstealth I appreciate your input! Don’t think for a minute that I don’t. I don’t understand the problem with my grow either. Please don’t hesitate to throw things out there… We’ll get this figured out one way or another. :wink: