My first grow journal! Not my first grow... Forest Fruits Autofem

Were they hardened off before going outside from your hydro bay?

2 Likes

:point_up_2:t5: Baby steps goin outdoors in the heat. Thanks Jefe

1 Like

I still think they’ll make it, if they can recover and try again. What I mean is, in the shade by tomorrow afternoon, they’ll probably start to improve.

Damn. Can’t put my sentence together the way I want. But you get it, I hope. Brain is tired :anger:

1 Like

These guys got you, but I’d have said she’s thirsty and still in shock

1 Like

No sir I don’t believe they were. What does that mean?

I basically took them directly from the hydro buckets and plopped them down net cup and all into some pots, into which I had placed a layer of pea gravel an inch and a half thick. Then I filled the pots with top soil mixed with a little vermiculite. Watered them each with one half gallon of nutrients from the hydro bucket mixed with one half teaspoon of superthrive.

It was slightly more ceremonial than that, but that’s the gist of it.

@elheffe702 @raustin @PurpNGold74 @MattyBear

Thanks to you all for responding. Crisis identified, if not averted. I guess we’ll have to see how they look in the morning. This can not have been good for them.

At least the younguns seem to have made it through the night in their new home. I thought I had better stop stalling and put those autoflowers under the LED. Time will tell how they do from here on out.

2 Likes

A lot of it is probably just transplant/overwatering shock that was already mentioned. But when you put plants outside in the sun, they need to be gradually acclimated. In the shade at first, then a few hours in the morning and evening (skipping the brutal midday sun at first), and then fulltime when they’re ready.

2 Likes

Ok thanks i will put them in the shade for a few days.

They look like they’re going to pull through! I’d have never guessed it, but there it is.

1 Like

These plants are amazing

1 Like

Well, I think I killed them. The babies. I think I may have smothered them with too much love.

Or maybe I put the light too close.

I read about light burn with LEDs and how you had to put the light far away at first, but I also read how LEDs are weak and that because my “1200 watt” LED is only pulling 257 watts from the wall, it really wasn’t any good. So I figured, well my light isn’t any good anyway so I’d better not put it that far away.

In retrospect, I think that was a bad decision, but I didn’t kill my first girls with this light so I’m still undecided. Undecided and upset.

I’m still hoping that somehow these girls will pull through. It’s a hollow hope. I’ve got the light about four feet away at this point, and I can’t put it any farther. I still have Trinity, god bless her, in the veg room under the CFLs, so all is not totally lost.

RIP Roxanne. RIP Felicia, you bitch. I reserve the right to reassign your names to other plants in the future. It will be like you never existed.

1 Like

As i just types in another journal. Theres always lessons. Even in failure. And use the names :+1:t5: Ive always been a Roxanne kinda man. :joy:

1 Like

What a long time it’s been! And nothing exciting has happened. My outside plants, they died. I think the grasshoppers have eaten all of the leaves off at this point. Honestly I haven’t checked on them in a few days because I’ve basically given up on them.

Say, speaking of giving up… I’ve been wracking my brain for the last eight days trying to figure out what I did to my seedlings. They have been hanging on to some extent, so I’ve been trying different things to bring them back to health. Because they’re autoflowers, I’m starting to think that even if I got them turned around at this point it may not be worth growing them. Someone chime in here if you have experience with autoflowers and let me know. Truth is I’m ready to huck them out in the yard and start over.

If you’re squeamish, you might want to look away. Unpretty things are about to be pictured. In order from oldest to youngest;

Roxanne. Oh how she has let herself go.

Felicia. It’s like the walking dead over here.

And Trinity. Not what I like for them to look like at about three weeks old. The last girls were around a foot tall at this age, and bushy as all get out.

You can see that they do have a little green left. Several days ago I took them out of the hydro buckets and put them back in the seedling tray with the humidity dome above. I left them in the veg room for a day or two and they showed improvement, so I put them back into the buckets with fresh solution.

I did a reservoir change, and recharged with the recommended amount of nutes as per the Mega Crop feeding calculator. This time I added minimal amounts of calmag and superthrive. Like a tablespoon of each or something. I watched them shoot downhill for a couple of more days, then I decided that maybe I had too strong of a nute mix for them.

I diluted the nutrients by about half, by draining half of the nutes from the buckets and replacing with tap water. This brought my PPM to I think around 300, where my tap water is right at 100. I left them like that for a couple of days, and they kept looking sicker and sicker.

Then I decided that maybe it was a humidity issue. The seedlings had started looking better in the tray, and it was only when I put them back in the buckets that they started shrinking again. So I have been putting rubbermaid bowls over them for the last couple of days and nights to act like a humidity dome.

That’s when Roxanne started growing that green leaf, and I think that Trinity has improved as well. I’m still kind of at a loss here though. Usually when I transplant into the hydro buckets the plants start to explode with growth. These ones have done nothing but shrink every time.

So here I am. Does anyone have any idea as to what I may have been doing wrong this time? And also, is it worth continuing to grow these when they’ve wasted so much of their time being tiny and sickly? I feel like I’m up against a ticking clock here. If they were photos, I could just veg them longer but with the autos isn’t it just a matter of time before they flower? I don’t want to grow six inch plants.

1 Like

I figure I may as well fill out one of these support tickets and see what happens. This forum is pretty great.

• Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA Forest Fruits autoflower, feminized from Amsterdam Marijuana Seeds These were some free seeds when I placed my order so I started with them first to get my feet wet again. I fully intend to make my next seed purchase from ILGM now that I have found this forum.

• Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco? hydroponic

• System type? recirculating DWC

• PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? currently 6.0, kept as close to 5.8 as possible

• What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS TDS is actually showing 651ppm, which is odd because two days ago it was at around 300. My tap water is 99ppm

• Indoor or Outdoor Indoor

• Light system, size? Bestva reflector series 1200w. Draws 257w on full bore. currently only using veg setting at about 120w. Light is currently about 40 inches from plants.

• Temps; Day, Night Day 80f, night 70f

• Humidity; Day, Night I don’t know

• Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size Yes, 450cfm inline fan through aging carbon filter

• AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, AC. No humidity control

• Co2; Yes, No No

Should I post this here or is there a special place for such things?

1 Like

Sorry im uninitiated in the art of hydro growing. I do however know a couple of hydro legends. @Covertgrower @Bogleg @bryan and i believe @Donaldj as well. Good luck. N relax. The girls will come around

2 Likes

Hmm. Are you absolutely certain the roots were in a position to take up water/nutrients once you moved them to the RDWC system?

1 Like

No not really @Bogleg, I’m not. Each of them did have some roots growing out of the plugs, and I planted the plugs down near the bottom of the net pots. It was basically about an inch of hydroton, plop down the plug and surround with more hydroton, then cover with pea gravel. The plugs do seem moist under the pea gravel, and I figured they would be able to feed from the plugs til they got into the nutes.

I think this is the root of your problem… pun intended.

I have seen this exact issue in the not-so-distant past. You want to visibly see your roots actually in the water, otherwise you need to continue top feeding the plants until they are in the water.

5 Likes

And just like that. Actual answers. Thanks @Bogleg

Good luck @Filthyhat

3 Likes

Well heck I never did that. But I’m definitely willing to give it a try. Thanks for your input @Bogleg I’m going to go top feed them right now.

And of course thanks @PurpNGold74 for tagging the right people into my journal :+1:

3 Likes