My first grow! Glookies DWC in 3x3 with KingBrite 480W

Here they are 24hr after the cut, seems to be already picking up.

Today I did move the air pump outside the tent. I also installed a manifold with a 3/8 pipe from the pump and 1/8 line for each air stone. These pump run hot!

@PharmerBob If I make the move to a bigger container I must do it soon. Will 3" more in height (and probably closer to 50-60l total) yield considerable difference ?

If I had started more than 3 I would make much more trial and error, but I feel like any mistake could cost me a good harvest.

1 Like

The girls will need a 2’x2’ area to grow into. That’s a minimum, some people like @Grandaddy013 could fill any space you gave them with a single plant.

3 Likes

Think your over worried, if your paying as much attention as you are and have quality supplies you will get a good harvest. Everything is looking good so far, still super early but keep paying as much attention as you have
You should really FIM one of them, in a bit you could top that one again but then ide leave it. To early right now though

2 Likes

@PharmerBob I will go get the bigger 100l containter today. Same floor space but 3" more in height shouldn’t really cause any issue in my grow height. Still aiming for that same 2" under the net pot water level ?

@Nicky I work a few foot away from my tent so I get to peek in several times a day. I will wait a few day before starting to LST them and have a go at FIM when I get a top reaching for the light.

I will also have to make a new mix of nutes and will aim for 400ppm, hopefully they are big enough for the little jump in nutes.

1 Like

Your using the supplied feed chart that came with the nutes?
I looked on google images but seems there are a couple different types.
That’s sooo nice you are able to work from home and check on your grow I work 8hr from home and am gone for 2 weeks half the year and 3 weeks for the other half of the year, with one week off.

Working from home sure has some advantage, but at the same time so easy to get carried away when problem emerge lol.

Yes I am referring to the feeding chart of my lines of nutes, here it is:

For those of you used to PPM, ratio is 500 ppm=1,0 EC

Oh also it’s in French but should still give you an idea.

Ppm is so much more accurate, I don’t know why people use EC?
Here is the English version

1 Like

So true the you need to understand did your using the 500 or 700 ppm scale. Most use the 500.

1 Like

I thought most meter in America read using the Nacl scale of .5 ?But you are right I should not take it for granted. From my research both work the same way; sending a small amount of current from an electrode and reading the potential required to make it to the second electrode.

I just mixed my new 60l of water in the new tank, currently PH’ing it down. The tank sit right at 400ppm. I now have 10" high of water vs ~6" with the old tank. Finger crossed! I’ll swap them tonight when lights on will start.

Also gonna receive my 480W Led panel friday, really exited to get it installed!

Thanks everyone who stop by, I appreciate all the help and reply!

4 Likes

New tank installed with new air stone. Looks like a decent amount of bubble!

Hopefully from now on things will get in place and they’ll grow exponentially. Also hoping they will like the 400ppm nutes concentration!

4 Likes

looking good man… now it time for the waiting game… look the waiting game sucks try and find ‘hungry hungry hippos’…:grin:

2 Likes

Hey guys! I gave you some slack on my endless question this week and tried the best method thus far; waiting! Lolol honestly this week has been a blast.

They all sort of stopped growing for 2-3 days last week (prior to being HST) and now that they are back full strength I can see that I effectively fimmed one and topped the other. I started LST 3 days ago and can’t believe how they grew when I look at last week picture! They leave a skunky smell on the finger when I manipulate them, me likey.

The new tank is rocking a steady ph of 5.7 and 450 PPM (Bought a PPM Meter so I can double check advice I get here :wink: ) with healthy root. Also moved the chiller away so the rejected heat doesn’t get in the tent.

Got a 41" tower fan inside eating up one corner but it’s moving a decent amount of air. I’m not oscillating it yet because even at “eco” mode it move too much air for the proximity it has with the plant, just blow them away could almost be used for LST by itself haha.

It’s winter here and the RH is really low. My mist humidifier inside the tent was having a hard time keeping up so I added a new one right in front of my air intake.

But the biggest improvement is the KingBrite 480W Led pannel, that thing is BRIGHT! It’s now set at 32" high running 100% power for the past 3 days with no sign of light burn, only incredible overnight growth! It also made the temps easier to manage as it produce less radiant heat than the HPS.

Here’s some picture!

!

!

Thanks everyone for reading me out :slight_smile: I have some more update coming for the end of the week, a bit of automation for climate clontrol!

6 Likes

Looking good great setup man really.

You have that light mad far away but understable since you just switch to it.

Download a LUX meter and measure the 3 spots where your plants canopy sits then post back here. Let do some simple math and make sure your getting the right amount of light to your plants, I can’t do this myself cuz I’m away from my grow so ide love to walk through it with you.

Ps doing the best you can it seems like with humidity but yeah in some areas it’s soooo dry, just need the plants to grow so they produce more, I have rhe same issue

1 Like

@Nicky I just checked with my S10+ with the app Lux Meter, and I get about 51000 to 55000 lux right at canopy height. I was looking to get a par meter but seems like I can only get a 40$ model or a 400$ model. I don’t want the cheapest meter but I’m not taking measurement for NASA either. Can these light intensity app be trusted ? 4" above canopy I’m getting 60k lux and 10" is 80K lux.

I checked the HLG recommended height of 20-32" and used the highest setting they recommend to start. I’ve seen people use it at 20" high in Veg, other said at 30" they had light burn ?! Lot’s of variable to take into consideration, so i did the first light cycle at 80% power and ramp it up to 100% by the second cycle.

Yeah I hear you that’s why I just said get a LUX meter app, the newer the phone (actually the better the camera) the more accurate and your phones pretty new $$. The calculator is an approximation as well but this is the best you will get unless you want to buy a PAR meter and its better then not knowing or just guessing.
Of course we are still going to be keeping a close eye on your plants daily.

The fast easy way is to say your kingbright is similar to an rspec HLG board so using their converter you get 851 PPFD

That right there tells us your lights are giving off more light then needed in your early veg stage with those clones.
18/6
|Seedlings, Clones|Under 100 PPFD|
|Veg, Greens|150 PPFD - 400 PPFD|
|Extended Veg|350 PPFD to 500 PPFD|
12/12
|Bloom|400 PPFD to 800 PPFD|
|Bloom w/ CO2|600 PPFD to 1100 PPFD|

The bit more complex version is using online Lux-PPF calculator and inputing the right variable (I’m assuming you got 3500k lights from kingbright like myself or did you get 3000k…? I’m going with 3500k for now unless you say different, also assuming you got the 450/650 lights put in although it looks by your board you only got the 650or I believe kingbright puts in 660 reds)
So let’s take the strongest (because we don’t want light burn) at 55000lux, we in turn get 1412.92 ulmor. So using the DLI formula it should look like this.

1,412.92×(3,600×16)
÷1,000,000=81.384192
So your DLI is 81…

Calculator Convert Lux to PPFD - Online Calculator | Waveform Lighting

Forumla http://support.specmeters.com/kb/questions/102/How+to+calculate+Daily+Light+Integral+(DLI)+with+a+Quantum+Light+Meter

In summary you should dial your light back it’s to strong even at 30inches.

I’m going to tag @dbrn32 here in the case that I’m missing something

@Nicky Thanks for the detailed post! Yes I got the 3500K/660nm version. So I guess I am left with two option;

• Dim them down until I get about half the reading on my phone
  • Lower them to about 18-20" then dial them for 25-30k lux so I have less heat to deal with

I was under the assumption that more light = more photosynthesis and electricity where I live is really cheap so I was gonna run them full blast :stuck_out_tongue: but I’ll sure take some more experienced user advice on here.

1 Like

I would move them down to 24 and dial it back from there :+1:

I also have cheap power Infact mines 0.03$ per KWh what’s yours?
Also this will help not over stress your plant, light burn etc.

Ps thank you for the compliment, been trying to give back as this community has helped me so much and if you can explain /teach something then you can master it

3 Likes

Sounds good to me lol.

2 Likes

Awww yeah thanks man! Woot

1 Like

According to my galaxy s10 plus i need to dial my Fluence down to 25 percent to get 300 ppfd for seedlings. At 40 percent its at 500 ppfd. The wierd thing is it doesnt seem to matter where I place the phone under the light? Hmmm?