My first DWC grow

Do you have any pics?

This is what I’m working with.

So styrofoam under plant but on top of hydroton?

Any links for what chiller to use?

1 Like

When you want to tag someone, just put @ in front of their names…they will get a special notification as in @Grundo.

1 Like

Styrofoam placed over the totes dropped rez temps 5 degrees.

4 Likes

Here’s the journal that supported that grow:

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Reflectix BP24010 Series Foil Insulation, 24 in. x 10 ft
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BPF22U/?tag=greenrel-20

Would this work?

Probably not as well as Styrofoam. Home Depot sells a sheet of metallized 1/2" for $10: kind of hard to beat that and it is shaped with a utility knife.

Do you have a link? A quick HD search didn’t come up with what you have.

Can’t put up links to HD.

It’s the R-Tech but HD isn’t showing it on the website. It’s there; I just saw it last week. You can use 1" but that’s overkill. The 1/2" was $5 cheaper IIRC.

Perfect thanks!

Hello, just answering about the chiller tag.
Ive helped a few people get chillers. For me it was this easy, I figured out how much water my system would hold, then I would find a chiller that could handle that many gallons. Normally the smallest chillers will handle plenty of water like this guy, which handles 10 - 40 gallons…

Active Aqua AACH10HP Water Chiller Cooling System, 1/10 HP, Rated per hour: 1,020 BTU, User-Friendly

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BHHQLKR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_boLgEbFHR4WJE

You also want something designed for salt water aquariums so it can handle your fertilizer running through it. This one is salt water compatible also.

2 Likes

It also creates a very dark environment, which if you can keep your hydroton wet throughout the day, it will spawn all kinds of crazy root growth throughout the hydroton and in the upper part of the root zone. The hydroton has to stay wet though to get that crazy root growth.

3 Likes

I’ve got the perfect storm brewing in my tent…thanks for the info@TDubWilly.

3 Likes

…and a great bunch of meteorologists! :+1:

2 Likes

Better batten down the hatches!:seedling::point_left:

2 Likes

For reference Tdubwilly and Peachfuzz are the two ‘go to’s’ for anything hydro. I’ve done it and am doing it now but my wheelhouse is Promix. That’s gotta change, based on where I’m moving to.

5 Likes

I like to tag you for hydro stuff, too, because you have a way with words :slight_smile:

Where are you moving to?

1 Like

Colorado Springs area: Peyton, Falcon, Black Forest. Somewhere out there. Gonna be a busy 6 months getting our house packed and on the market.

Yeah; I’m a mouthy bastard lol.

4 Likes