Alright, decided a few months ago that I wanted to dabble in a lil home grow to see what I can do. In the process I decided that I’d go ahead and also dabble in creating my own light. Before I get into everything I figured i’d do a run down of my setup since this is something I looked for when trying to decide what to buy.
- VIVOSUN 36"x36"x72" Mylar Hydroponic Grow Ten
- iPower 6 Inch 442 CFM Inline Fan, with 6 Inch Carbon Filter
- fan speed adjuster (a must in my opinion)
- grow light hangers
- 5 gallon buckets
- FoxFarm Ocean Forest Organic Soil
- FoxFarm Big Bloom, Grow Big, Tiger Bloom
- SensorPush Wireless Thermometer / Hygrometer
- 6 inch clip on fan
So pretty basic setup since this is my first grow I didn’t feel like messing with hydroponics yet. Where I did decide to have some fun was with my light. Here’s my parts list:
- 1 x Arctic Alumina Thermal Adhesive
- 2 × Mean Well HLG-240H-C1400B with dimmers
- 6 × 140mm Pin Heatsink
- 6 × Bridgelux VERO29 (3500K 80 CRI B) with molex connectors
- 3 x 8 ft aluminum angle (1/2" size)
Based on my math I’m looking to get an upwards of 440W from this setup at full power.
Alright time for the fun. First things first I had to put together my light. In hindsight I wish I had spent the few extra dollars and bought bigger aluminium for more structural support. The 1/2" works but my design kinda of made it a bit flimsy and if I had to do it over i’d either use 80/20 or just go with wider/thicker aluminium angle. After framing, the electrical work was pretty easy assuming that you have some basic understanding of how to solder and how to wire things up.
One tip I have for anyone doing a DIY. Make sure you strip your molex wires when they aren’t connected to the LED. I tried to strip a wire that was connected and accidentally
A lil help from some buddies and some work and I have my setup all done. Just waiting on my seeds to arrive so I can put my setup to use.