My first attempt at growing bag seed (or any seed) - Mango Kush

Never grown before and we found a three (3) seeds in a bag of Mango Kush we had. Thought what the heck and put them in the veggie patch not expecting them to grow. Three days later two popped there little heads out.

6 Likes

Nice find!

1 Like

Sweet! She is precious. Congratulations :tada:

1 Like

The white powder is Diatomaceous Earth. We had a case of strawberry slugs that ate almost everything - including the top leaves of the seedlings. So I dug them up, put in small tubs and bought them inside. They spent the next 5 weeks in various stages of patheticness.

If they were hanging on so well then I figured they wanted to grow into lovely buds, but they needed a light and grow tent. Done.

Transplanted into coco soil and perlite 70%/30% mix, and a sprinkle of blood and bone. They love their new tent. and looking a bit healthier, apart from some yellow veining, which is some kind of a deficiency. I am working on it.

I have a feeling they are Mango Kush - Auto-flowering. They look to be females and are starting to flower - I think.

Might get one bud off them :smiley:

3 Likes

@Hungrybud, @MattyBear @Drinkslinger, @monkman.

1 Like

your youngster’s look great. sorry to hear about your “real” world experience. there are all sorts of crap waiting to scrounge on your young plants. i have planted a bunch of seeds in areas outside over the years and it is always something (like rosanna roseanneadanna yousta say) never once made it past the critters out there that will prey upon them. first tries are first tries and the thing is, learn and grow on!

4 Likes

Thank you.
It is amazing how much you learn about them when you are faced with the prospect of growing your own :slight_smile:

3 Likes

How old are the now? Sometimes autos flower too fast for my preference. I have had a few flower in just three weeks from seed. It is nice for a “quicky” but hurts the weight big time. Keep them on as much light time as possible…slow their roll a tad and boost that bud size. Also, get em some phosphorous.

2 Likes

Thanks @Tr33 They will be 8 weeks tomorrow.
The reason I presume they are auto flowering is the fact my son pointed out that the leaves looked rather thick, like ruderalis. I told him it cant change strain, I since found out that is what makes it auto flower. There yah go!

I wont have anymore seeds after these have finished. Both females by the looks and wont seed. :anguished:

1 Like

If they flower without a 12/12 light schedule, that pretty much says it all. If your enjoying growing your own, you can always buy some seeds. Watching them grow, and helping them make good medicine is fun.

4 Likes

I checked out some prices to buy but found the conversion rate (I’m in AU) is currently not within reach but I will do some day :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sometimes cash makes the decision for us…ILGM seeds seem like top of the genetic line, but if you want to grow, and can’t get them here, search the internet for some in your budget. Not everyone here can afford all the best growing equipment either; but creativity will carry you a long way. You should check out my grow journal from first grow…I pieced together my setup and the outcome was very nice.

4 Likes

What’s your light schedule?

I wouldn’t say ruderalis has fat leaves.

Your plants look more indica dominate. Mango kush is a hybrid, so the leaves could theoretically go either way.

Bag seed can give great results.

2 Likes

Thanks. I will have a look!

1 Like

@Drinkslinger.

My light schedule now is 18/6
I must admit that when I first got the light and timer I had them on 12/12 for two day, as I thought that was the standard lighting. (found out wrong) I have since turned them to 18/6. Maybe I messed up changing back to longer light hours?

1 Like

Ahh thanks. I think he may have been looking at the fact they only have three lobes?

If they make it then I am sure I will be sharing those first buds with all here! :smiley:

1 Like

i just read a post a couple days ago where someone was worried about their plant, it had been in veg for quite a while but hadn’t developed any 5, 7, or 9 finger leaves. synopsis is keep with them. some plants had only 3 finger leaves and one had just one finger leaves. one of the gang said that a landrace strain (i don’t remember which one) is what he grew and it had only 3 finger leaves and was incredible.

1 Like

Think I saw the same post. Amazing how they grow so differently.
I have pegged mine down now and trimmed some of the lower leaves so the light and air get to it and hopefully make more little points to grow buds. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i asked Mattybear two days ago if i should trim lower little branches out and lighten up the middle some and he said as it’s my first grow i would do better to not trim much so that i could learn what to trim for my next grow. he said to tuck rather than trim as much as possible but still okay to open up bud sights to light( i’m in flower) by trimming but to go real easy on it.

3 Likes

@Drinkslinger was on right path. Chances are those aren’t autoflowers, they’re just showing maturity. Keep it in 18/6 and provide her with care needed until she gets bigger. You’ll get a lot more than one bud.

2 Likes