My Broad Mite / Russet Mite PSA

Hi friends, posting this after I contracted russet mites and spent months chasing my tail trying to figure what was wrong and treat an unknown problem. this had folks stumped for weeks, so i just wanna put a photos of the progression out there for all to see. won’t be hard to spot once you know what it looks like. looking back, i could have spotted this DAY ONE and prevented all of this.

first sign could be leaves tacoing or wrinkling up. some look just like regular heat or light stress with just the jagged edges curling up every so slightly.

other initial signs are new, yellow growth. this part really SUCKS cuz it totally mimics things that can happen with Ph swings and iron or Mg deficiency. this had me chasing my tail for WEEKS and buying water all over town and trying to figure out what was wrong.

yellowing, dying leaves at the bottom of the plant:

middle stage: “intervenal chlorosis” and yellowing around the edges on upper leaves:

you’re pretty much effed stage: alien-like curling of the leaves:

Russet mites are NOT detectable with the naked eye. I checked my plants with a loupe early on and didn’t see them. You need at least a 60x and finally found them with 100x. you’ll see translucent oblong disgusting bodies, their carcasses, or what I found… EGGS that look a whole lot like resin or trichomes but they have little white dots on them. they also mostly seemed to be hanging out on top of the leaves.

Treatment:

i have to tell you i just bagged everything up and threw it out and am “resetting” the tents which has meant a ton of bleach and tears. I’m going to heat the tents to 115 and then let them sit for 3 weeks. i’m also treating the few house plants I have.

If you want to try and save your grow, these are suggestions that were made to me, and the many industry pros that i talked to said you need a multi pronged attack since these bugs have developed resistance over time. i got mine through an infected clone that had already been treated with azamax out of precaution (it was not known at the time mites were present). but honestly every single one of them told me to torch everything and not risk perpetuating the problem. i finally listened and bagged it up.

HEAT - get your space up to 115 degrees for 20 minutes and turn the humidity up.

CO2 - i’ve read in several places that 200ppm of CO2 gas into a sealed garbage bag can kill them. i dont know exactly how to make this happen, but it was also suggested to use dry ice. I don’t know what the PPM would be from dry ice and how long they’d need to be in there.

Non-toxic treatments - isopropyl alcohol, Nuke’em, neem, green cleaner, sulfur spray (you can bomb them but only if you’re not in a living space), spinosad (captain jacks)

Helpful links:

5 Likes

If you have more suggestions or experiences and info, please feel free to leave it below.

too late for me to edit but you can also use predatory critters like lady bugs and predatory mites.

1 Like

Got one more addition that can be used in veg and flower for many pests. i feel like these are rare and quite valuable.

and another addition. not sure if this can be used in flower or not.

1 Like

another good paper. references to specific predatory mites and pics of infected flower.

2 Likes

I had russet mites about 5 months ago because my dumbass ignored the golden rule and took in a clone and didnt even quarantine or treat it.

i stopped growing for 5 months and then finally popped some seeds 2 weeks ago but 5 of 8 seedlings are experiencing weird, funky leaf growth, or just severely stunted (still on the first leaf set).

Do you think I still have russet mites? I tried taking a scope to it but I don’t see any russet mites under my USB microscope.

here’s a post i just made with some photos:

1 Like

sorry havent been here in a bit. i have no idea honestly. they shouldn’t live that long but not sure if they had a way to stay a live or if you just got unlucky with fresh contamination? FWIF my seedlings always look like shit and i freak out now every time i start seedlings. at least you’re at the start of things, hopefully you get an answer soon.

ah not sure how i missed the link but ill check in on your journal.

Thanks for this post, it appears I have these mites! I’m at the stage my biggest plants new growth all appears dead, I have about 15 plants in that room, luckily so far my flower room appears to not be infected as well as a few ready for flower….should I trash everything in veg that’s damaged badly? I’m hoping to not lose any of the strains I have, so I’m thinking of just keeping one or two of the smaller clones/plants of each strain and trashing the really bad ones? Thanks

Not sure if Broad and Russet Mites have predators like Spider Mites but….

https://marchbiological.com/spider-mite-predators/

They eat the mites and eggs then when the food supply is exhausted they die. No chemical warfare on your plants.

I’d give March Biological a call or shoot them a message and see what they recommend.

1 Like

Thank ya bro, I cried but chopped the 5+ Ft plant down trying to cut my losses, I may have to ditch a couple others but I’m hoping to at least save my clones, I’d hate to lose the strains, the big one is a cross I did myself so I have more beans there…thanks again✌️

I guess I’d better trash the 7 gals of soil I’d just put that plant in right? If it’s Broad mites like I think they sometimes get in soil, and I’m sure the eggs can drop off in there, but the bag of soil in that room should be fine correct? It’s dry and I’m going to add D.E shake it and let it sit, I’m going to buy a new bag in the meantime, thanks✌️

One more question, I haven’t found a good answer Goggling this, but how easy do these things spread by clothing or body? I have a separate room for a flower tent and a small veg box, I haven’t seen any on those in veg or in the tent, can I get away with washing my arms and changing clothes? It’s not like I’m climbing trees, just shaking em lol Have a good day y’all :v:

1 Like

so sorry for not seeing this sooner friends. hopefully you’ve found solutions or had time to grieve and have restarted some beautiful new grows.

wish i could answer you for sure about the soil but my thought would be yes. there may be very very few but it would only take one or two. and i don’t know if broads/russets hitchhike on clothing like spider mites, but also why not. i’d fear any fungus gnats too. they cling on to other flying insects for rides.

they do have predators, but i’ve had enough trouble getting rid of spider mites with predators and i believe broads and russets are tougher.

a new light has hit the market, called intralight, that supposedly kills off soft body mites, i bought one, but really need multiple, but i’ll have to save up more $ for the future.