My biggest fear came true

No, you stuck the short stakes inside the pots on the dirt and angle them such that they can out. Then connect them with twines or something tying them together like upside down umbrella ribs.

Here’s mine just after tying and lost 4 huge branches. Taken on Jun 18

Here are taken just now. The lower wall behind is 5’

Since yours are in pot and can’t stake the floor around them, you still can using a few feet Long stakes, like cheap bamboo poke in. Don’t have to be deep. The tying with twine will balance the weight themselves. It gives much support closer to the core

2 Likes

And wind the twine around the main trunk out to the stakes too, like the last picture. It will beef up the support. They are so much happier and full of energy with the new support, I could almost hear them laugh.

See the very first picture where I used the green wire support. Those are made to support tulips or buds that are heavy. They are inexpensive but you can make them with thick gauge galvanized wire. It works well for the lowest branches closer to the trunk. It doesn’t take much to supprt them and the way they branch out, if you link them together with the trunk, they will hold each other up too. I later ran the twine across the poles interlacing them with 3D netting. I can’t believe how many ne branches are shooting out now.

3 Likes

Master of Puppets! I’m out of likes for an hour. Sorry about the broken branch, but hopefully she’ll heal up. Looking great! :+1:

2 Likes

I bought a couple white-white and shinny tarps custom made. I had one that wrapped around the back of my downstairs Jacuzzi tub. 8ft x 24ft and the other was 8ft x 10ft which was a curtain to slide back and forth. When I’m not growing I can take it all down and use it as it was supposed to be. lol Just me and my husband so I didn’t have to worry. I still had use of the sink and the commode and enjoy the smells from that white ass room.:herb:

1 Like

After looking at you twine I wondered if I could make use of some metal fencing we use down here on the farm to encircle around it. The holes are big enough to put your hands through it, and as the plants grow, wouldn’t be restricted but still supported all they around. I do know that it would have to be staked to the ground. What do you say?:herb:

1 Like

@Watt-Sun Use aloe Vera don’t use honey outdoors bugs will get you. Good luck I’m praying for man :v::call_me_hand:

1 Like

I’m sure it would work. They don’t need that much support. If the holes are big enough to let the branches stick out, it’ll be fine.

After trial and error for many years of growing tomatoes, beans and, viney veggies, I end up using stakes and jute twines because
1 it’s all natural makde from plant so it’s not hot in the Summer when we get really hot weather sometimes. In 100’s degree temp, metal can scorch the branches or leaves that touch them
2. Easy to clean up. With lots of entanglement, especially bean vines and such, after they dried up in the fall, I just cut the ends next to the stakes with scissors, wrap them up and compost the plants and twine (notice it’s natural, undyed) together.
3. This is my first time growing MJ, when harvest come, I’d rather not having to untangle the sticky buds from metal fencing. If I cut the end of the twine, I can pull it off and leave the branches clean.
4. It takes time to weave all the twine together but it’s relaxing and I can make it wide or narrow as needed. Or add more lines later when I see they need more support.
Hope this help with your decision.

If you use the metal fencing, I gather you might be able to get away with making a wide cylindrical form and tie the ends together without stakes. It spread out the load evenly in circular radius anyway.

2 Likes

Well thank you, I forgot about the hotness. I’ve only an indoor grow but my husband planted my clones from broken branches. Seems every time I touched them I broke them, especially in bloom. I had 2 major breaks, one completely off, one was repaired and then I had 6 smaller break offs, all in bloom. So this turned out to be my first outdoor grow that I inherited by my husband, otherwise I would have done indoors. I am giving them very little attention because I didn’t think they would make it after pinching off their little blooms and trying to reveg. Those 6 were only about 6" - 8" tall when I broke them and now they are 2ft to 3ft tall and trying to bloom again in a matter of a month, incredible. I have lots of twine and bamboo poles to help them along. I haven’t even had to water them. It has rained more than ever. They may have had too much rain. Sorry to jabber but I do LGM. I love the smell of it growing, like coffee brewing in the morning. Thanks for the advice that was really helpful before I made the mistake of cooking my outdoor grow. :herb:

2 Likes

Oh, jabbing away, please. I’m totally obsess with growing it now, lol! Have to check on them, fussing with them everyday!

Someone here suggested I tie lower branches to the main trunk so I did and it works really well.

1 Like

Careful not to pinch or choke anything! Looks good :+1:

1 Like

I bought that tape but it has no stick?

Thanks, I took your advice and did that and make sure it was loose. Will keep checking if the branches get fatter, I can loosen the wrap because I didn’t tie them with dead knots

2 Likes

Correct. You just wrap it and tie it or tuck it to hold it in place.

1 Like

That ought to hold up with a tornado chasing it. :rofl: :herb:

1 Like

Lol! You’re a hoot! I guess you live in the prairies to get tornado. Hope your girls don’t have to go through hat! Happy growing!

1 Like

Hopefully we are pretty safe from tornados but we some times get heavy winds and rain. Down here in Southern Missouri.:herb:

1 Like