My 1st rodeo in 2020

Which would be better in a 4x4 grow tent with 4 plants … 2 viperspectra 600 reflector or 900 reflector watt LED lights ? Beginner so have no idea even after a week of research

1 Like

There are far better options.
Stay away from blurple amazon lights. Do a lot of reading on cannabis forums. Ignore google search reviews.

IMHO look at quantum boards from horticulture lighting group . Com, look at diy lights with bridgelux or plc strips, cob lights are still decent. There’s always cmh and hps if you have ceiling height for heat removal.

4 Likes

2 260w qb xls from hlg

4 Likes

It’s worth the money for the amount u would spend on the 600w vipars u would be able to get urself a good light.

3 Likes

I just harvested over 30 oz off 3 260w

4 Likes

When I started indoor growing I asked about blurple lights and amazon stuff. There were no real answers other than a few people here used them and liked them. So I spent a good $500-$600 on crap blurple lighting. I regret it.
Soon afterwards I upgraded to a diy bridgelux build, then more, then some cobs, then plc strips. The takeaway is this, lighting is REALLY important for indoor cultivation. It’s expensive to do it right, but if you have good lighting it will increase your quality immensely

8 Likes

Exactly. @Drinkslinger Better to spend ur money going in the right direction then in the wrong one

5 Likes

Listen to @Drinkslinger and @Killadruid @Chas59 they are on the money with the lights :+1::kangaroo:
You will save on the difference in price of lights with just the extra yield you will get harvest time.

4 Likes

I do run an hid but I’m running a chps bulb for heat winter co.ming and the light spectrum looks amazing

At 200$ or more an oz it’s easy to invest in good lighting. But it’s hard to find good information on it. I looked for months then after I bought everything I found this site and now I’m trying to grow like the rest of them. Lights from hlg are pretty easy to assemble if they choose to go diy route

4 Likes

I really wish @dbrn32 would create a big sticky at the top of the lighting section. A carefully worded post would answer this question for new people and lower the number of “which blurple light is better” posts.

6 Likes

And at least you know what you are smoking/eating.

3 Likes

Wish it was $200/oz here.
$150 on a good day.

2 Likes

Man it is all day that here shit 280 for name brand. I could get rid of my payote cridical for 300 +

2 Likes

Right. I’m not saying cobs, strips and qb’s are the ultimate. There are some time tested and affordable solutions. I’m just so frustrated with all the people scammed by blurple amazon marketing.

2 Likes

Yup I mean they do grow weed vipars ain’t horrible but they market it all messed up

1 Like

Cfl’s Will grow weed too. :joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy:

2 Likes

Too difficult of a situation for amount of time I have available to spend here on daily basis lol.

Short answer to this question is that the two 600 models would be better than the single 900 model. However, neither situation will hit recommended DLI on a 12 hour flowering schedule. This is easy comparison because they are essentially same design and components, one is just a little bigger than other. So we can assume ppf per watt is the same, and the two smaller fixtures consume more power than the one larger fixture.

As far as a sticky goes, the basics don’t really ever change. However individual growers needs and expectations are vastly different. For the grower who is looking to bag a couple pounds per harvest on a 4x4, I think most of us know it’s unlikely to happen with $2-300 in Amazon blurples. But we don’t want to run off members that are content with modest yields in low budget spaces either. Knowing what the particular is looking for can potentially change things a lot.

I’m not really sure why, but there is always a big push here to grow in 4x4 or bigger. Having a big space is great, but reality is you can build a real nice 3x3 grow for about the price of a decent led light for 4x4. Not all that difficult to run 4 plants in there either.

12 Likes

I think most people read that u need a 2x2 ft area for each plant

1 Like

Do you believe that you need a 2x2 space per plant?

3 Likes