Mutant plant, unsure

It’s not my plant but it’s a local guy in my area he has this plant that’s been growing Wierd since seed.
It’s a “mutant sweet critical”

Any ideas why a plant grows like this?

Gonna tag any experienced growers I can think of feel free to do the same.

@garrigan65
@Myfriendis410
@dbrn32
@Not2SureYet
@WickedAle
@PurpNGold74
@peachfuzz
@Missiles
@Gremmall
@blackthumbbetty

2 Likes

@Bulldognuts if you know anyone since your pretty active on the forum please tag who you see as a regular

1 Like

No idea at all… ill drop some tags too tho

@Budbrother
@Hellraiser
@Hoppiefrog
@MattyBear
@Covertgrower
@Drinkslinger
@kettle

1 Like

Probably genetics. With these highly hybridized plants it’s a wonder they aren’t growing hands too haha.

11 Likes

Ionizing radiation?
Hazardous chemical genetic damage?
Cat peed on it?

3 Likes

That’s wild. If everything else about it is good, I’d probably try to isolate that gene. Pretty cool looking. Would he be interested in sharing some seeds? lol

1 Like

Yep, definitely genetics.

5 Likes

Have you ever seen something like this before?

Never seen that, would agree it’s genetics.

Nothing exactly like it, but similar. I actually have a grow planned that’s probably going to confuse about half the forum. :smile: Unfortunately actual “responsibilities” keep getting in the way of making the right connection.

Can’t say that I have.

1 Like

Got me, pretty wild though.

2 Likes

Possibly broad mites/russet mites:( if so it’s early.could be genetic tho but I’d look at the root ball real close w a microscope…

1 Like

The more I look the more concerned I am about them:(

@ThcinKC has a blueberry throwing these same funky looking leaves… i hope its not the russets…

3 Likes

Did the plant start like that? If so genetics I’d say, if not look at the roots

1 Like

I got mine to straighten out I started using azomite it seemed to be a mineral deficiency combined with mixing calcium with a ammonium nitrate product. I freely admit I dropped the ball on this one flushed and tweaked the ph to make it right then added the azomite and feed the right way and it took 2 weeks to get back on track I can post pictures of my blueberry after work

3 Likes

I will go with the genetics too. It looks pretty cool though :grin: I had a Nightingale do similar. not as extreme though. It grew out of it a few weeks into flower

1 Like

I’m going to get a clone of it! He lives in my city!
Then I’ll toss it in a window just to keep it alive because my tents are full right now. Then I will cut a clone off of it myself and grow it out

1 Like

definitely a genetic mutation. Most plants carry these genes, and almost every plant Ive ever grown has thrown out an expression of a mutated gene at least once in its lifetime. Case in point,

The OP has a gene that is quite strongly being expressed in a physical way. In the case of my plant, it is simply popping out very very randomly.
I have noted this phenomenon on almost every plant Ive ever grown. It may come in the most usual form like a leaf with 3 fingers where 7 should be? Or a branch growing out of a leaf stem. Most if the time these go unnoticed because there are so many leaves.
A fairly common mutation is a bud growing on a leaf or self topping plants.

2 Likes