Mufflers vs. Putting the Fan in a Box

Anyone have experience with adding a muffler to the setup instead of placing the fan in a box to muffle sound? I have been placing them in storage bins with cutouts for ducting which works pretty well but am in the midst of changing my setup and considering just adding one of these inline mufflers if it would work. Feel free to point me to another post if appropriate, and any help appreciated.

Never used a muffler, but you could add insulation inside the tote to muffle more sound.

1 Like

instead of a tote use an old ice chest

2 Likes

Or go with a quieter fan and not have to do any of that. I use AC Infinity exhaust fans, not loud enough to be a problem.

5 Likes

I’d be afraid of heat/fire putting it in a box. But Maybe that’s just my wife in the back of my head haha.

2 Likes

Thank you. Sadly I already have the fans and frankly already have the cut out plastic totes. But I am reconfiguring, which seems somewhat ongoing and wondered if I should add one more piece of unnecessary complexity. Which given this feedback I think confirms I can save my money to spend on other stuff. @Hellraiser Thanks for the nod on the Infinity fans, have seen that elsewhere, but…I have some Hurricanes and this one is an 8" Vortex. Which I suspect is not in the quiet camp. But, its a basement, and I am the only one down there tinkering around for the most part so the sound dampening really is a nice to have rather than a need to. I will set it up as is and leave it until it annoys me enough to swap it out. Which could be next week. And in which case I will take a look a the Infinity. Thanks again. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Hellraiser

I may say the hell with it and just swap the fan.

This one? I have a seperate fan dumping heat and or humidity. This is just pulls airflow through a filter and removes it on a variable controller.

C Infinity CLOUDLINE S8, Quiet 8” Inline Duct Fan with Speed Controller - Ventilation Exhaust Fan for Heating Cooling Booster, Grow Tents, Hydroponics
$169.00 &

1 Like

Exactly what I was going to say. Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet and spend the money.

1 Like

Yes that would be the one, or the T8 if you want a fancier controller, though if I wanted a fancy/better controller than just the speed controller that comes with the S8, I’d buy the S8 and add the controller 67 which is better than the controller that comes with the T8. But if speed control is all you want than the S8 would be a fine choice and quieter than any other exhaust fan I’ve used, and I’ve used many exhaust fans over the years.

3 Likes

Thanks for the nudge @Hellraiser. New fan ordered. Skipping the extra controller and will inventory the other fan as an "onsite spare’. And as usual this site gave me some much needed direction. Thanks again.

1 Like