Mr. Indica's First Grow - ILGM Hindu Kush (fem)

@Wildwest my buddy is sold on QBs, he’s an HID and MH guy and grows some ridiculous stuff, he’s old school and been resisting LEDs for a while, he tried the early options and was seriously disappointed.

I used @Whodat66’s pics as proof of what these QBs can do and he’s buying into it :wink:

Hopefully my Hindu Kush will show him some possibilities as well. He’s a much more advanced grower than I so I’m sure he’ll get much nicer yields than me on this run.

2 Likes

I’ll get you a good guestimate weight and all pertinent data for one plant on a veerrrry short grow this evening or in the morning.

2 Likes

LOL - with extra batteries :slight_smile:

Oh Indica-dude, when I chop this evening it will have been 83 days from sprout, 69 days since I put them in “veg” on the feeding schedule, 41 days in flower. Now all you need is a wet weight and a dry-guestimate.

1 Like

Oh, and the other thing is, I now know I can do better with less. but it will take more time.

Just a quick pic update:

Guessing when they need more water is a real pain in the rear end. There has to be a better method than sticking your finger in 1" to feel for wet vs dry. I think I made the assumption that it has to be bone dry down to 1" before you water again, but I think that assumption isn’t correct.

Everyday after watering my plants droop a bit in the night cycle, then perk back up after a few hours of light. Today, they are staying a bit more droopy than the past few days, I’m assuming these are signs of the plant being ready for more water.

Any insight on this topic?

5 Likes

I promise, tomorrow at the latest I’ll start a new thread so you can boast how awesome your plants are compared to mine :wink: LOL

Any insight on my question at the tail end of my pic update? Hahah I don’t want to show you off dude, you got a killer harvest ahead. It’s like you lapped me, I haven’t flipped to flower yet and you’re starting a fresh batch.

lol

Busy with other stuff - refresh my memory and I’ll hear the ‘ding’ :wink:

OK, I think it’s more of a sign of not ready for water, or ready for more light. They aren’t gonna change how they act.

I’m not sure I agree with this. It’s normal for the leaves to droop a bit from sunset to sunrise. They go into rest position, but they perk back up shortly after sunrise once there is light to work with again.

And she’s been doing this routinely everyday since I watered 4 days ago. Last night she dropped but this morning is perking less. I’m running 200 watts through the HLG right now which is more than enough for veg. HLG recommended running veg between 100 - 150 for my space, so I doubt they are short on light right now.

Drooping leaves during the day cycle is a sign of either over watering or under watering. She was watered 4 days ago and the pot is pretty light right now, so to me, says it’s time to water. I’m going to watch for this closer this time.

I’ll water them tonight, just distilled and calmag since I fed last time and see what happens over a few days in terms of picking back up at sunrise. I also have been doing a time-lapse video which should help make this clear since last Tuesday.

One picture every 45 seconds for 7 days. It should show me the rhythm I’m trying to understand and be in tune with. When you watch a plants time-lapse you’ll notice the “breathing” rhythm they go through.

Learning, learning and more learning.

Define “normal”…

You can look at pics of Nancy, I even did a time-lapse over the period of a few hours where the watering had exactly the effect I’m talking about. I never saw it as much with the other plant, but sheb would droop for maybe a few hours after watering, then not look even “level” until it was time to water.

What I’m saying is that it’s normal and expected that leaves will “relax” overnight and then perk back up at lights ON. This is well documented, you can google it. And I’ve seen this happen from the start of my grow. This “breathing” movement is likely more or less noticeable depending on strain and leaf weight).

What I was saying is that today, she didn’t perk back up as quickly as she normally does after sunrise. So that got me wondering if it’s a good sign that it’s time to water. I’m just trying to learn and get to know how she behaves and what she’s telling me.

I don’t think your idea of a time-lapse is the same as mine. I’m talking about a fixed camera that stays in place and doesn’t move, it takes a picture every 45 seconds (or any other interval) and then takes each frame and makes it into a video (23 frames per second). The idea is, you chose how much “real life time” you want to squeeze into how much video time, then you do some math and setup the interval based on the 23fps for video. 23 pictures = 1 second of video.

That’s a time-lapse. Not a picture today and another picture tomorrow and putting them side by side. A time-lapse of a plant in growth phase gives you a visual of how it moves, stretches and grows. If you haven’t seen one, you should! Not only cannabis, but any plant.

Out of two plants, one you could never tell it needed water, never had much effect either way. The other was reaching for the QB’s 24/7 (even in the dark, I looked) until it was time to water, then would only droop for about 5-6hrs total after watering, then right back up.

It can be in indicator - but lift your pot. If it’s heavy don’t water, if it’s light water. If it’s close and the leaves droop, water. Not a science, an art.

Yeah, I feel like the recommendation to check 1" deep for dry is miss-leading. I think they mean check for “not wet”. But not check for dry.

I feel like by the time a full 1" is 100% dry, she’s feeling thirsty and has been slowing down. So to me, seems like once the top layer is dry and if you stick your finger in and even though it feels moist, it’s not wet, you’re good to water again.

I almost want to place a scale right under the caddy LOL. Forget lifting, just check how much it weighs. granted more plant matter every time you water so you gotta adjust for that, but would be cool to have a scale underneath it and just check the weight reading to decide.

10lbs before water, 12lbs after water, oh it’s at 10.1lbs, time to water again.

I just know that I have never had them droop from not watering, and I have let them go 5 days because the pot was still heavy.

1 Like

Data is data. We will keep collecting it and analyzing it until we can make sense of it. Thanks for your help dude.

1 Like

I defoliated Aurora a bit tonight and gave Vida some distilled/calmag. She has a 1 gallon pot and dries out quicker. She took about half a gallon (to 1 gallon coco/perlite) before she started draining. Aurora will be ready in the morning for her rehydration.

Aurora’s current middle fingers from the fan leaves are wanting to outgrow the 20" depth of this tent. They measure approximately 2 ½" x 7". I feel like this strain needs a larger tent if you want grow her in a 5 gallon pot, a 3’x3’ for a single 5 gallon would do really well:

They are both looking droopy in these updates because they are dry and about to be watered. But I wanted to share a sense of scale and how silly huge those fan leaves are becoming.

Honestly, even though I broke off 2 of the 8 mains. I don’t think there is going to be room for Vida in here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
6 Likes

Some strains may just be like that?

Honestly, I think it’s the effect of gravity. Hybrids and sativas have the thinner leaves and likely easier to stay perked up. These things are big, fan like and floppy.

2 Likes

The bottom fans on Lil Miss were exactly like that, HUGE!! They were never “perky” always facing down, i also put it down to gravity and her being too small to hold them up.
She is looking beautifully compact and no signs of disstress from the heavy handling :muscle: she is a trooper!
Im sure vida will keep her space in the tent, in all honesty people have the tents packed to the sides and no harms done :slight_smile:
She is the bonus to remember.

1 Like