Motorized plant turntable

if the goal is to have the turntable move slower than the motor then i need to have a smaller gear on the motor shaft and a larger gear on the turntable. then a single revolution of the motor would cause less than one revolution of the turntable, reducing the motor speed at the turntable

Lol yep you’re right. Torque is the way I said speed is the other way. How’s the one you’ve got going so far? Are you planning on it running non stop?

its ok. i am not running it now because im waiting for a part to upgrade the shaft coupler. i do eventually need to reduce the speed further because 1 rotation every 2 min is WAY too fast. but im resisting going there for now.
i think the torque from this little motor is going to be plenty, when i slow it down further the torque will be multiplied and itll work even better.

That’s a pretty big reduction needed though.

1 Like

i know. if i could reduce the current speed by 100x i think that may work out well. it would complete a full revolution in 3 1/3 hours. lots of deep light penetration and time should allow for gravitropism. but who knows it may be a total waste of time. and ultimately i would need many plants growing in both conditions (traditional stationary overhead light and tilted rotating) in order to be sure it makes any difference at all

i have too much time on my hands

Lol I agree you need a plant for a control. But that’s the hard thing to figure out because there are different phenotypes that show up it really would need a large grow. Like ten controls and 10 on the rotating platforms. Then take averages of each group. But I’m curious how it affects stem thickness and branching. I’m wondering if it’ll make a much thicker stem and branches or if it’ll maybe be a more spread out plant because of the branches at the outer edges leaning outwards. But that’s all way optimistic that you will see any result at all.

1 Like

yep. probably the best way would be to run clones

That would eliminate plant variables as much as you could hope to.

1 Like

Yes I have but I think the standard 1.5v wall clock may not have enough available torque to move a plant

It took a couple months but I have a work around set up in my design. I had to run some thought experiments to find the design but I think it’ll work and might even surprise us. Very exciting stuff

2 Likes