Most basic indoor setup

Thank you for your time and feedback. I appreciate being able to talk it out. My assumption is there are noticeable differences in yield between the 65, 100, and 135.
65 = sufficient
100 = good
135 = maximized
Strictly in regards to lighting.

Ugh, I know I’m all over the place, but would 2x2x4 tent work, or too short? Guessing it would be hard to use on anything but autos?

65 = efficient in a 1.25’ x 1.25’ box
100 = maximizes a 1.25’ x 1.25’ box, efficient in a 2’ x 2’ box
135 = optimized for yield as an absolute value in a 2’ x 2’ box at the expense of efficiency

Again, I’m basing this off your situation. You don’t need much, so anything in excess of the 65 is wasted money. But cultivation is fickle, so growing extra isn’t a terrible idea.

2 Likes

I would really try to get a 6’ tall tent. Especially starting out with autoflowers.

Edit: I’m assuming space and discretion aren’t issues.

2 Likes

Space and discretion are not issues. Are there cons with buying a complete grow kit?

You mean a package? Yeah. They are usually way overpriced and contain bad lights.

Stick with an HLG light. If you can’t find one in stock, wait or backorder one.

1 Like

@dbrn32 do you agree? Most basic indoor setup - #24 by KeystoneCops

1 Like

The goal is 2 ounces every 4 months. Ideal budget would be $300, but they can spend $700 if need be. They have zero equipment.

1 Like

Ya. I think hlg-65 is probably pushing it on what I would try. An experienced grower will surpass gram per watt with it in a 2x2 space pretty easily. Will be taller feat for a new grower, and we’re growing autos right? There is not much room error on half zip per month should they get stunted and flower prematurely.

I have a 2x2x4 tent that I looked at gifting to my dad. In that context I would probably tell him to expect about 2 zips with hlg-65, 3-4 zips with hlg-100, and probably 5-6 zips with 135 kit. He also has luxury of 24/7 support via a phone call and I drive past his house for work lol.

Something maybe worth considering, any of those lights will pay for themselves with 1 successful harvest. And they will probably all bring 60% of their original cost back on ebay.

This tough call. If you spend $300 and decide to stick with it you’ll like end up spending another $500 in near future. $300 setup also won’t provide the growing experience a $700 setup would. But I totally get not jumping in head first too.

@Bonzo how are your DIY skills?

1 Like

Just to clarify, you would use a 2’x2’ footprint to flower with an HLG-65 3k? I suggested using a ~1.5’x1.5’ space, and also intentionally using a 2 gallon pot to encourage flowering.

I feel like the debate is really between the 100 3k and the 135 kit, mostly since it’s nearly impossible to find an HLG-65 in 3k.

1 Like

1.5’x1.5’ not standard space, have we found one that size? 2x2 dime a dozen, just a matter on height.

Fwiw I agree wouldn’t make hlg-65 first choice even if it was available.

Ok, so after more research and consideration, I’ve thrown my budget out the window. My original harvest desire estimate may be low too. Space is still the same. I’m currently looking at tents that are 27x27x63, 36x20x62, and 24x24x55. I’m good to max my yield with that given space. My first run will be autos as those beans are supposed to arrive today. Going forward I’m inclined to switch to photo. I’m good with DIY, but I’m inclined to pay extra for less manual labor. I want quality equipment and quality returns, but I’m not looking for any awards or jaw dropping results. Hope that help explain where I am coming from. I plan to continue this hobby for many years, but without dedicating hours to it every day

2 Likes

In that case I’d buy the HLG-135 V3 R-Spec kit. It’s very easy to assemble. You only need a screw driver and maybe a wrench.

Gold Leaf is a great cultivar. My dispensary had some so I was able to try before buying seeds. After an eighth, I bought an ounce. It was $350.

1 Like

Excellent!

Imo you are looking at the right size grow spaces. I would much rather see you go small and do it well rather than bigger and try to make budget go a long way. Here is something to consider. Square space like 2x2 you are looking at doing 1 plant or 4 small plants. Anything in between gets difficult to fit without leaving dead space. For your first grow I would suggest 1 plant, just so you can get a feel for how they grow, and transitional changes. If you go with something like 36"x20", makes sense to grow 2plants just by shape. I actually grow in this size space, don’t buy the apollo horticulture tent, it sucks lol. There are others, try one of those. Downside of this space is that there aren’t any ideal off the shelf lights for it. I built mine using led modules from cutter electronics. If you’re not willing to do that, go with one of the square spaces and get the qb 135 r-spec kit like @KeystoneCops suggested. If you order from Horticulture lighting group use coupon code DUDE, will save you couple bucks.

Before you get too far into buying stuff we should probably look at exhaust fan and filter too. You do plan on running carbon filter right?

1 Like

Yes, definitely a carbon filter. I’m considering the vivosun or mars hydro tents. My issue with space is I don’t have more depth to work with than 29”.

2 Likes

Ok. The 2x2 ish tents will be difficult to get both fan and filter in tent, that’s why I went with 36x20, everything fits inside. You can work around with maybe fan outside and filter inside if you want. Just need to make sure duct ports are where you need them at right size.

I would go ac infinity s6 fan and 6x16 filter if you can.

1 Like

I have space for 36x20, but if the light is an issue I’m not confident I’ll be able to build what is needed if I can’t get the right size off the shelf .

I was considering the 27x27x 63. I guess, what is more challenging, dealing with a tight space to get fan and exhaust in or getting the right light for a space that’s not square? I’ll have plenty of room on the sides of the tent

2 Likes

You can mount the fan and filter outside the tent and run the duct in. Or draw through the filter inside the tent, but have the fan outside at the end of the duct. You just want to make sure you get an excellent seal.

If this is going into a closet, you’ll have to figure out how to vent though…

1 Like

Welcome to grower problems lol. There is always give and take. I think I would plan on mounting fan outside of tent and just running duct through the tent and keeping filter inside. Filter performance will be best pulling air thru outside of filter.

That’s how I have it, carbon filter inside tent at the top, AC Infinity fan sitting on top of tent on a board supported by the tent poles on top.

6 Likes