Mosquito dunks for fungus gnats?

I have a massive gnat infestation. I saw nothing, then three nights ago, BAM, they have taken over. The first morning there were tens of thousands on the floor of my grow hub- I gave my plant a peroxide/water tretment and cleaned everything. The second morning, again, tens of thousands on the floor and they were crawling out of my soil as I turned the lights on. Ran out and bought neem oil product and treated plant after removing the top layer of soil, and again cleaned everything. I also bought hermit crab sand and put that over the top layer of soil. It is made of calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate. This morning there were under one thousand on the floor, and some dead ones on top of the sand where some had been able to break through. I am only a couple weeks until harvest and do not want to lose bud. The sheer number of these tells me my root system has got to be in bad shape. I read that mosquito dunks can be used to kill the gnats. Does anyone have any experience with this? Would you treat the roots with something to help support them? This is an indoor grow; I have a journal; Beginner Grow- falling in love - #200 by Tr33
There is a pic of morning two at the journal, just go near the bottom if you would like to see the magnitude of the problem. I let my soil get really dry before feeding, and have not seen evidence of these guys until now…I must need to get new glasses or something.

Newbie here but I use mosquito dunk granular in my two 55 gallon water drums for veggie garden and my container bog garden. Dogs and cats have drank that water and no side affects. I also read they will work for gnats. So I’m guessing you could safely use the treated water on your plants. Can’t hurt and may work😊

1 Like

USE THESE TWO A.S.A.P TO RID YOUR PROBLEM OF GNATS

Tabacco Juice recipe

Take 3 strong ciggeretes soak them over night in water and the hottest hot sauce you can find.
Boil it for 2 to 3 miniutes, let it cool off the strain using ladies nylon socks and spray the plants 3 to 4 times a week. You can add safer soap if you like to the mixture.
(make absolutly sure you use gloves/face protection while handling and spraying).

And you can cut up potatoes into small pecies and place them on top of your soil. replace every two days it works great !

Will

4 Likes

Sorry I missed your reply @garrigan62, but I will write your recipe down in my book of information. I purchased Mosquito Bits earlier, and after doing quite a bit of reading, went ahead and did a treatment with it. I removed a great deal of the hermit crab sand, and watered in a scant teaspoon in ph balanced water. I have checked on her every five minutes since the treatment, lol, and everything looks good, but I will know for sure tonight as they seem to come out after lights off. I have read good things about the Bit, and intend to always add a few sprinkes to the tops of my soil from now on to avoid this kind of problem…if it works that is. If not, I will just have to buy a pack of cigs and try your recipe out. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

@Tr33

What ever works is the name of the ame. But try the potatoe slices works great they are attrected to it it will be covered with them by morning.

1 Like

ok, I’ll do that. It will be cool to see.