More newbie watering questions

If it’s an Apera PH pen, I got ya. Anything else, I’d have to ask around lol.

1 Like

Could you post a pic of the ph meter

okay here’s a brief update for anyone interested in an old guy stumbling through his initial grow.

found a video on youtube that told me how to use my pH meter. lady demonstrating had the exact meter i bought, and for the life of me i don’t see a brand name on it anywhere. yellow with only two buttons, so simple enough for me.

tested pH of soil my plants were in, 6.86. seems reasonable.
tested pH of nutrients i’ve been adding (Fox Farms), 7.45. again i’m thinking this is acceptable.

re-potted plants into 5 gallon bags adding fresh FF Ocean something to fill bags. that soil also tested in the 6.8 range. i think i’m just going to start pH testing everything around me for a while. can’t hurt.

gave a big drink of nutrient mixture, but no runoff.

still looking for a bit of advice on a target flip date, though i realize this is presumptuous since a) i don’t actually know if i’ve fixed the yellow leaf problem and b) i also don’t know if the girls will survive the trauma of new pots.

anyway thanks for all the help and if you’ve got any further advice, comments, admonishments, let me know. i have no ego in this. appreciate any input.

best regards.

Give them a week to recover. Then make a decision to flip or wait.

This should be in the 6.5 to 6.8 range also.

3 Likes

how would i lower it to that? dilute with more distilled water? thanks.

1 Like

figured this one out on my own. ordered some pH up and pH down. thanks all.

2 Likes

Do not listen to the person telling you to poke holes and feed from the run off that is the absolute worst thing you can do especially if he is talking about run off that is that is the trash water you are flushing out also a good feeding schedule
Is feed,feed ,tea feed, feed ,flush that should stop the build up by the constant maintenance flush,
Also flushing your plant with any flushing ptoduct,
I personally use nectar for the gods herculean harvest 2 tbs per gallon flush until about 20 percent run off and you ppms will go down also you need to add microbes to your soil you are actually feeding the soil not the plants the microbes eat the nutes and crap out food for the plants .

What you said is one way. Does not mean it is right or wrong. Just means it is a way to do it.
What @yoshi said is another way. Does not mean it is right or wrong. It is just a way. @yoshi is a master though did you read his title. He has been in the game for a while. No this does not make him right all the time. He does help a lot of people though and knows his stuff.

4 Likes

@DRsDank I salute , but when you know you know right , now just for theory how do plants drink water in hydro , autopots , etc , from the bottom , maybe i just spend too much time in a garden daily . Gotta drive 2 hours for $1500 simple fix nobody can figure out , im not expert but hey i know what i know brother , I never said runoff water , truth to be told your plants dont need to runoff any water if they used whats given , runoff is for rookies ? Yes i do not water to runoff , I only water to give my garden a drink just like we need a drink daily , we come from dirt is what the bible says some say evolution , I think im alien :alien: already , but plants grow in dirt , so i give them a cup of ph water daily and i simply pour it in the drain pan and let them dribk what they want just make sure you dont give them to much , its real simple they will tell you all you need to know , you see issues on your leaves , i guarantee you if because they getting to dry in-between watering cause when you dont know you dont know , By the way i dont grow a few plants , its now in the Thousands weekly and growing , shit i just be sharing information that can help those who willing to tey it and see for themselves what ive learned from taking the chance to experiment a good healthy plant :potted_plant:, Nothing i say is not proven is all i will share !

3 Likes

just wanted to say i appreciate all input from everyone on this thread. i’ve struggled with the watering issue from the beginning of this grow and still am confused on it. it would be nice if there was an exact formula but i think what everyone is saying is try and get a routine you’re happy with. that’s what i’m shooting for. the process does require some experimentation and a leap of faith here and there. we’ll see where i end up with this, but for now i have a good game plan i think so i’m moving forward. my plants seem to be doing well after their transplant and i gave them a good watering with a cal/mag solution yesterday. i see big, dense buds on the horizon. thanks again to everyone.

3 Likes

How are you watering now ?
Did you post tge plants :potted_plant: a picture maybe !

Honestly the hassle of figuring out soil watering is what drove me to start using coco. Since the transition, It’s been 10 times easier on me and my anxiety. Something for you to chew on. And kudos on figuring out the ph issue and getting PH up/down. You can also use lemon juice and baking soda to raise and lower organically. I haven’t personally done this, but lot’s of grower’s do.

My apologies for being MIA lately, real life has been crazy.

@yoshi i’m currently watering 12-14 ounces per plant every 24-36 hours depending on how dry the soil feels to the touch. i think i could water more often, but try not to for fear of overwatering. as noted above i was getting almost immediate runoff when plants were in two gallon plastic pots. i’m following a nutrition added schedule. two days ago i transplanted to five gallon bags and have NOT had runoff yet though i’ve only watered once after the move.

@Highwayman420 i guess i’m committed to soil for this grow, but the idea of coco sounds very good to me. i’ll have to read about it and learn what the proper steps are, but anything that removes even a little of the guesswork will be welcome. it seems like this part of the process shouldn’t be so hard, but i’ll admit it’s got me dazed and confused. thanks for the idea.

thanks to all for your input.

ya you are, but not stuck forever lol. Ride it out and learn from mistakes like we all did. My first several grows sucked bad. Weak smoke and tiny yields.

Easy learning curve. Much easier than soil. It’s completely neutral medium. So water and feed daily. I don’t worry about runoff numbers due to it being neutral and it doesn’t hold water like soil does.

Honestly Jack’s 321 and coco is a homerun hitter. Easy mixing and not too hot for the plants. I just buy Canna coco bricks ( I hate having bags shipped to my house, so this is more discrete) and rehydrate using silicon, full strength Jack’s, Fish$hit and PH the water. Pour until slightly damp and start using hands to break apart and mix. Alittle messy but not bad.

It will get easier once you have a good setup in place, we will get you there. Don’t give up. Next run, get prepared and have all the items in place for the run. Any concerns need to be addressed before you drop seeds. Always ask if there’s an issue. Above all, relax and enjoy the plants man.

2 Likes

@Highwayman420 aahhhh, you make it sound so simple, lol. seriously i’m going to try this next time and i have good feelings about the process. i’ll probably hit you up for more advice when the time comes. appreciate the follow up. best regards, john

1 Like

I’ll tag you in my grow as well so you can hit me up there. Several really good growers on there too can lend a hand if I’m away.

quick update. just gave girls a big drink of pH adjusted water (5.9) including Big Bloom and Grow Big nutes. I guess this is the first time they’ve had water that is correct in it’s pH, so i’m hoping they like it and we can move forward on this grow.

thanks again to all who’ve helped.

1 Like

Dude they use a straw. Jeeze man. Except where straws are outlawed of course.

hello to everyone, especially those who have helped me with my nutrition and watering problems during this first grow. as i’ve said this community is fantastic.

after spending the last several weeks religiously pHing every feeding i’ve decide to flip to 12/12 on day 80. i know i can get them bigger if i wait, but honestly they’re growing so well that if they are, in fact, going to double during flowering stage i think i’ll run out of room, so today is the big day. i’ve put some pictures of them below, and will appreciate any observations or directions as always.

i’ve come up with a feeding schedule i’ll be using for the next 8 weeks or so that includes Big Bloom three times per week, Grow Big two times a week for the next few weeks, Tiger Bloom two times per week, and Cal/Mag once per week and Great White once a week. i’ll continue to be careful with the pH and of course i’m not married to the schedule if something gets out of whack. i’ve switched the lights to a 12/12 schedule and currently they are about 20 inches above the taller plant (though the difference between the two is less than two inches). Again if this looks like a losing combo please someone tell me so i can correct.

Thanks so much to you all.

2 Likes