MORE Act going to a vote Friday

The historical MORE Act goes to a vote in congress Friday, seeming to have bipartisan support. Essentially, it de-schedules cannabis from the DEA schedule, leaving legalization to states rights (as it should be). I am reading over various sources that it has enough support to get through the senate, even if Mitch opposes. Anybody have any thoughts/insights?

3 Likes

This was the reply I got from my congressman.
Thank you for contacting me expressing your support for the Marijuana Opportunity Reinvestment and Expungement (MORE) Act . I appreciate hearing from you and welcome the opportunity to respond.

As you may know, the MORE Act would decriminalize marijuana at the federal level. Specifically, the legislation would remove marijuana from the list of scheduled substances under the Controlled Substances Act and eliminate criminal penalties for individuals who manufacture, distribute, or possess marijuana. The bill would also require the Bureau of Labor Statistics to publish demographic data for cannabis business owners and employees, require federal courts to expunge prior marijuana-related convictions and allow prior offenders to request expungement.

There is growing scientific evidence documenting the health risks associated with marijuana use. Studies have shown that chronic marijuana smoking can adversely affect the lungs, the cardiovascular system, and possibly harm the immune and reproductive systems. Certain psychological health problems also have been associated with overuse of marijuana.

I recognize that many medications and medical treatment options come with an array of potential negative side effects. However, I have reservations that legalizing marijuana could lead to widespread abuse on the recreational level and will make the drug even more easily accessible for America’s youth. Although we may disagree on this issue, I truly appreciate hearing from you and hope you can respect the sincerity of my views as I do yours.

The MORE Act passed through the House Judiciary Committee on November 20, 2019. Please know I will keep your views in mind should this legislation come to the House floor for a vote.

Again, thank you for contacting me.

Sound like he needs an education on the progress they have made in the medical field with the EVIL weed we need to stamp out before it too late. Back in the 60’s they used to show us films in high school of people smoking and instantly becoming rapist & fiends. Same mind set still out there.

6 Likes

Who is the congressman? Ask him to do tobacco and alcohol while he’s at it.

3 Likes

Ive smoked since i was 14. And my boys swam to make 4 children. Lol. So hes wrong there along with other points. So yes he needs education

2 Likes

I told him in a reply next time he’s drinking alcohol to think of his liver & brain. I would have included his offical stamp on the letter but I don’t think we’re allowed to identify people here. It was in Missouri, I think that’s O.K. to say.

2 Likes

After those films in high school we’d hit the boy’s room & light up. One teacher in particular had a great joy in busting us for smoking in there ( thought they were cigarettes) but would always get pissed when we’d all laugh at him instead of cowering to his authority. I should feel bad, probably gave him an inferiority complex but at that age it was funny.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m in Texas. I am a very middle of the road independent, but I prefer the more right politics for our state because it has worked well, but that doesn’t apply towards cannabis. Need to have a more libertarian mindset with our politicians.

1 Like

alot of them seem to be cowards & sheep these days

1 Like

There’s too damn many congressmen with ties to Big Pharma,and cannabis is a threat to their business. Cowards and corruption are a major hurdle for this bill.I’m not holding my breath.

3 Likes

MORE Act passes the house today. Not sure what we can collectively do to get this through the senate, any ideas?

1 Like

Make every senator smoke a big fat doobie of Blue Dream.Then vote. No smoke,no vote. It passes unanimously.

2 Likes

go to the aclu web site they are good at stiring up the law makers. I’m sure within a few days after passing the house they will have links to your senator. I used them for the letter I sent & recieved the comment from my congressman listed above ( a couple of aboves). Even tho the congressman was completey uninformed about pot I felt better after putting my 2 cents in.

3 Likes

That’s the true motivation. MONEY! Doesn’t matter how many studies that show this or that. That congressman knows alcohol is way worst than cannabis. Once the pharmaceutical industry is ready to switch from opioids to cannabis. They have to get their facilities ready, paperwork, logistics etc etc. and once they are ready to go…marijuana will be legal nation wide. Just in time for the pharmaceutical companies to take over the industry and control the mass production and distribution of all medical cannabis. Money money money.! If ya think it has to do with anything else…you are widely mistaken.

2 Likes