MoonstoneBob New grower

Good news friends I off & growing my first grow with the help of this Community.
Question? Trimming?
Ph on soil is running high acid #7 or #8 how do I lower it to it best Ph?

5 Likes

I’m not the best person to respond, but are you going synthetic or organic?

You will need to start getting your water a point or two lower than your desired PH to affect the soil PH, I think.

If organic some use citric acid granules.

Let’s tag @Myfriendis410, he will have a definitive answer.

1 Like

I’m tuned in to watching and am going to tag along. Looking good so far, except for the pH as @AAA stated

1 Like

Gonna need more info. While you are at it please provide a picture in natural light and tell us what instruments you are using to measure PH and TDS. Precisely what soil and precisely what nutrients. Age of plant. Lighting. You need to be as detailed as possible.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

Thanks!

2 Likes

Also following @Unclebob

7 is neutral and 8 is alkaline. You’ll need a meter that can read in the tenths because a ph of 8 is 100x more basic than a ph of 7. Much like a ph of 6 is 100x more acidic than a ph of 7. Need something to read between the numbers.

1 Like

What a blessing to be a member or this Community. Impressed with detail questions.
#1 Seeds was “Started seeds” from I love GM
#2 Fox Farm Happy Frog soil
#3 Cloth grow bags
#4 BESTVA 2000 lighting in “Cool Grow” Tent, Running 16 hours per day.
#4 “Cloudnine” Humidity Controller, with iPower Carbon filter running between 57% - 68%
#5 Temp with “white light” about 70 - 74, with both 77- 86
#6 Spring Water, Crystal Springs. Water when tester shows between dry & moist. Never Wet so far.
#7 SONKIR Soil Tester.

8 turn system off at night between 10:00pm to 5:30 am, unknow temp

1 Like

This isn’t going to tell you much. I could stick mine in battery acid and it’d still read 7. The moisture meter does ok but I wouldn’t water until you’re at a 1 or 2.

2 Likes

Thank you. I am trying not to over water. Good drainage soil & cloth bags. Never over #5 so far even after watering. Test instruments makes a difference if you have the right ones. Thanks for helping me

1 Like

More info
Started my first grow, so excited about it too 8/1/19. I am clueless if it’s going good but growing seems to be happening.
Unsure about using white grow light only or red flowing light too. I use both because it increases the Trmp in the tent. Light hangs about 2 feet above my treasures…
Should I run 24 hours?
Thanks for helping this beginner…
ps I moved from CA where I had easy access…not gotta grow my own.
Thanks to this Community for helping me
MoonstoneBob

1 Like

Yeah; one of the reasons I put that in there was to see what kind of meter you have. I started with one too and quickly realized that it was not worth the money. Next time you water pick up and ‘feel’ the weight of the pot. When you thing it’s ready to water again; pick it up again to feel the difference. This is commonly what we all do.

A decent PH meter is pretty much a necessity and a TDS meter not far behind it. I use my PH meter more than any other instrument when growing.

This is where a TDS meter would be helpful to see how pure the water is. An inexpensive R/O system ($60) can be money well spent. Example: I’m running hydro with 700 ppm nutrient solution based off of R/O. If I used tap water my starting TDS is 550 ppm. As solids are ‘additive’, I could only add a small amount of my base nutes to get to the correct TDS.

Here’s a great unit that many of us are using:

Is this your light?

If so it draws around 400 watts which means it’s suitable for (roughly) a 2’ X 4’ space. But it has lenses which I would either remove or have lots of room between the plant and the light. That panel should be pretty easy to remove which will improve things. You should run both switches all the time.

So I don’t believe your PH readings. Upgrade and I think you will find you are in pretty good shape. Still waiting for a picture without the blurple.

3 Likes

Yes this is my light source. I seems to generate a lot of light. What do you think about it???

2 Likes

Does this tester work in soil???

1 Like

For a light from Amazon it’s fairly typical. It will grow cannabis but there are other lights that do much better. Removing the lenses will allow the light to be much closer to the plant.

To test soil you would: take a sample of soil–1/4 cup or so. Add to 1 cup of distilled water. (has to be distilled) and let stand for 10 minutes then test with the PH meter. This is known as a ‘slurry test’ and is something that is commonly done. There are soil testers but they are fairly pricey and don’t do any better than doing a slurry test.

4 Likes

I can vouch for the ph meter @Myfriendis410 is speaking of. I recently picked one up. My cheap 13 dollar one was off.5 even after calibration. Super nice and love the case.

I am quickly learning like any other hobby. BUY NICE OR BUY TWICE. Your plants look well, I am set to watch.

4 Likes

Are you filling the bulb cap with the 4.0 solution when storing it back in the case?

1 Like

To the fill line right? @Bobbydigital or did i misread?

Correct. It says to fill it with the 4.0 when storing. Never stored it without it so wasn’t sure if it needed calibrating more often if it’s not. I had to buy a big bottle of 4.0 because you do lose some when taking the cap off.

The new one i store like that. My old no leaked it out and could not be stored like that.

1 Like

Mine did a few times. Really have to keep an eye on that rubber O-ring when putting the cap on. Another reason why I had to buy a large bottle of the 4.0, lol