Monk's first try

31 day out of soil, 5 days in 3 gal pots, 3 days germ

27% humid…76f degrees

it appears that somehow the humidifier shut off last night. and it must have been shortly after i checked and added water last night because when i filled the bottle and put it in the water didn’t drain out. i wonder if i shut it off by mistake last night. i would have thought i would have noticed because the fan on high is loud.

the second of my germs popped out of soil last night so that is good!

38% humidity… 74f degrees after half hour of humidifier running.

2 Likes

i really like that both my germ seeds came out of soil in 2 or 3 days this time. the idea behind using solo’s with peat moss and an inch of super soil in bottom this time instead of peat pellets was to try to cut down on the 3 weeks it took to get the plant into solo cups. i also again put in clear solo with an opaque solo covering the outside so can check roots. my only concern with using the solo cups so early is messing up the watering of them when they are real young.

i will be using Matty’s watering strategy for the start this time but i need to get with the program as yesterday i only spritzed the purple once.

48% humid…75f degrees

spritzed germs

51% humid…72f degrees

spritzed germs 3x

I asked @SlowOldGuy yesterday about my purple pinecone coming up so fast and first thought was that the purple was male because it came up so fast. today the white widow fem has caught the purple in growth and is equal so it is not faster than the “known” female! both plants are about a little under 3 days old and both are a little under half inch tall with their serrated leaves just poking out in the middle of the cotyledon leaves. so i’m going with the idea that they are both females (but i will still keep close study on the purple for sexing). i am very happy with this but we will see. I went back to the beginning of my journal and i am already 3 days ahead of first try of germination. and in the first try i didn’t have environment set up like i do this time. and in the first try, this is where i really screwed up due to environment, lighting, and watering. i will continue to compare first germ/seedling try to this one and keep track how far ahead i am from first try. i have the new guys set in the corner of my tent and they seem to like the amount of light they are getting, but we will see as it is still very early. i was pretty sure that i was going to buy a 8 bulb t5 to do the seedlings, but if it goes well this time i won’t need it! i at least won’t need to do anything about it until i start putting plants into the flowering tent in another month.

3 Likes

wow. i had already turned off my puter for the night to roll one for bed and i absolutely can’t believe it. in cleaning for a joint of critical kush for bed i again found what looks to be a viable seed. What is incredible about this is that i have not found a seed in any of the 2 oz of pot per month that i have smoked and rolled in at least ten months. i honestly can’t remember the last time i saw a “real” seed in the stuff i get. i consider myself to be an intelligent / aware person but am also of the belief that God works in our lives every day if you pay attention. some will laugh at me for this, and i did just burn that joint :wink: , but me starting to grow pot a month ago and finding two bag seeds in a week out of the bags i bought after just starting to grow points me in that kind of direction. yes it is most likely just coincidence but i have used pot to help me deal with a genetic back defect that got me out of the Army after serving for nine months which causes me daily pain of 2 or 3 on a scale of 10. there are times that it hits 5 to 7 due to stress, exertion, or my inherent clumsiness. pot has been a blessing for 50 years in my life making it a lot easier to deal! I lettered in 3 sports in high school back in the early 70’s, two of them starting on varsity as a freshman, and used to have to sit on the bench in the locker room for 15 or 20 minutes after basketball practice most times because my back would tense up. that is when i first started treating those issues with pot. i also was taught by a good friend who was more experienced with it at the time when i started “practice straight-game straight, practice high-game high”. smoking pot before practice allowed me to not have to sit on the bench after waiting for a back to cooperate! and i know it allowed me to be able to move more fluidly and in balance.

3 Likes

32 days out of soil, 6 days in 3 gal pots, 2 days out of soil.

40% humid…75f degrees

51% humid…80f degrees

i flopped the wick of the humidifier over and it took off from 45%

55 humid…78f degrees

used squirt bottle to drench the top soil of all plants in 3 gal pots. moisture measures 9.9 at bottom of pot from the solo cup of water i put into each pot 5 days ago. 4 inches down into the soil it was 2.2 so i tried to get some water to the roots which i know don’t reach to the bottom of the pot yet.

spritzed the germs

1 Like

Just because a plant is growing fast, doesn’t mean it’s going to be a male. People should really quit talking in absolutes. It is true that males from the same mom will grow faster than the females to try and grow taller to drop their pollen down onto them.

4 Likes

i think that is what he meant, that he could tell by how fast they were growing compared to the others. i can believe that. but mine was just out of soil and second came out with 13 hours so both were close. more the likely probability is that it will turn herme later in flower, and i will keep an eye out.

1 Like

49% humid…74f degrees

33 days out of soil, 7 days in solos, 3 days out of soil

40% humid…72f degrees

i watered all plants in pots with 2/3’s cup of solo. i also closed the flap of tent, mostly, with the humidifier inside the tent. this is a 2700 sq ft humidifier so it should work well in a 4x4 lol. i am just doing this until i get the wick replaced.

1 Like

55% humid…79f degrees

boy did the girls like the water they got before i took my ride into town for lunch. they look like different plants when i got home. i could see why people would over-water. i want to water them again right this minute and get another half inch veg growth all over the plant again lol.
but i will wait. the two seedlings are doing great with the spritzing 3 times a day.

It looks like i will not be able to keep the humidifier inside the tent unless i get an exhaust fan set up. Temps at the end of 6 hours light on get up to 80 to 82. i will fudge thru it today and see about getting fan set up tomorrow. is perfect timing for it as it is supposed to rain tomorrow and i don’t want to ride into town during that lol.

1 Like

Hi @monkman thoroughly enjoyed reading through your journal so far, will be watching as you progress. I’m new too on my 1st grow, my girls are in week 5 from switch. It’s all a massive learning curve but I’m enjoying the ride. Maybe try wet towels in the tent for now and/bowls of water. Good luck

3 Likes

hey bud, thank you for the sentiment. i am trying to show it all, including the paranoia, anxiety, and lack of patience that all us noob’s suffer from. i might get rid of those traits by the 4th or 5th grow, but i doubt it lol. @Amjk you are welcome along for the ride! pictures are on Thursdays as that is their “weekly” birthdays. i am doing that for myself so that when i do my second i can go back and compare whether doing better or worse… i’m sure it will be better after seeing how well my second try at germs and seedlings are working so much better. part of that was the initial lack of preparation on my part to get this project started. do you have a thread started for a grow journal?

2 Likes

55% humid… 79f degrees

lights out in two hours so have got the tent zipped back up.

Unfortunately no I haven’t it’s illegal where I am and paranoia got the better of me. Iv got a new tent to set up for seedling/veg. Iv got some white widow regular seeds and am waiting on some Maui waui being delivered. As soon as they arrive I’m gonna drop 2 of each strain and pray to god I don’t get more than 1 male from each, don’t want to risk having more than 4 plants growing at once. I think il start a journal with my 2nd lot and I may throw some updates of the GDP’s Iv got now. If I do il be sure to tag you in. :slight_smile:

1 Like

if you have pictures of your plants you can post them on here this thread if you’d like. i don’t mind. maybe post some after i post their 5th week birthday on thursday! @Amjk

1 Like