Monk's first try

They will be 3 weeks out of soil tomorrow. i did not have a good setup at all for the start. kept the germ out in the 20% humidity for 3 or 4 days before dbrn32 told me to put them back under dome. they also had crappy 5 a21 led lights for first 7 or 8 days and then had cmh 315 which was too much stuff for the little girls. next time i do germ and seedlings i will have 4 or 8 bulb t5 or a cheap grow led to do it. haven’t decided yet on which i want to go with. @seascallop

and yea @seascallop, my cousins grow great plants for their business selling regular plants in palmetto by bradenton.

That’s the West coast

I watch all the rockets from cape Canaveral from my back yard

2 Likes

48% humidity 78f degrees

i took off three of four worst leaves on olive oyl. didn’t take the fourth because there was just a spot and it only had three leaves left.

Looks like some water got on the leaf and the light burned a hole in it. Nothing to really worry about at this stage. I’m sure all your plants are ready for a transplant anyways and then they should all start to take off :v::bear:

5 Likes

@MattyBear thanks for the heads up. i transplanted these 2 weeks ago into the solo’s, they got their first watering in solos two days ago. i think i have a while before transplant but i did look at trixie’s clear cup yesterday and didn’t see any roots which is why i say it will be a bit before they will get re-potted. I might have to repot if they show some deficiency by only being in the Mother Earth’s peat soil. four of five plants have 4th node showing so all are about out of seedling stage. three of five are out of dome and i will have humidifier tomorrow to get room humidity raised. i was under the impression that i was waiting to see good root system in clear solo’s before i transplanted though.

I’m surprised you don’t have roots at the bottom of the solo cups after 2 weeks… can you take a pic of the roots?

1 Like

i will go up and look at them to see if anything is showing. they were in peat pellets for 6 days then into solo cups for past 2 weeks. only one had root showing in peat pellet when i transplanted all of them.

2 Likes

first is trixie, second is queen b, third is homer. they all have just an inch or less showing on outside of cup and there were only a couple showing on each cup. i looked at the bottom of cups and nothing was showing there.

t1 q1 h1

@MattyBear @merlin44

2 Likes

It looks as though you are getting close @monkman, my guess would be maybe a couple of days or so until transplant day. You can do it earlier but there may not be enough roots to hold the soil together making it a more delicate process.

Too much water will inhibit root production and it appears to be fairly moist - you may have just watered.

4 Likes

yep, watered two days ago. first watering in solo cup

Just my opinion (new grower), I would suggest a little less water for seedlings.

That would account for the modest root production compared to the above soil growth - which looks good to me.

1 Like

i poured water slowly around cup outside of pellet until water came out bottom. am trying to do flood/drought watering per slowoldguy.

1 Like

You don’t need to water to runoff until the roots are more established. Should only be giving an ounce or two tops at this stage. That way the roots will seek out water and not be drowned by too much water. This was definitely the reason it took 10+ days between watering in your solo cups. Let them dry all the way out and then only give small amounts until your plants get bigger :v::bear:

5 Likes

owie owie… second major blunder. first was trying to do this without waiting to get my poop in a stack! i’m sure that will help. Thanks a bunch @MattyBear when i transplanted to the cups i flooded that time too, should i have done less water in the transplant?

3 Likes

oops i guess what i’m saying is that i’m a little confused. two weeks ago i put my pellets into solo cups and flooded watering them at that time. two days ago they were ready after 12 days of drying out. i was told that it would be ten days for cups to dry and it took 12 probably because they were in dome at 65% humidity. now i know that when i watered them two days ago, i should have only watered an ounce or two, i suspect i gave each up around 6 oz’s but it could have been 8. i will let them dry out again, and i expect that to be a lot sooner this time because of low humidity in room. i will know next time to wait on flood/drought system of watering until i get root system better developed. i will inspect cups before watering next time to see if roots are better developed. if i see as little roots as i have now i will only water with an oz or two. if i see good roots(as in lots of roots) should i go ahead and flood? @MattyBear

1 Like

actually, if they have lots of roots, it will probably be time to re-pot for veg cycle.

1 Like

I wouldn’t flood while in solo cups. When you transplant to a bigger pot, they don’t need to be watered to runoff until the leaves get wide enough that they span the entire rim of the pot.
Don’t stress too much. What’s done is done and the only thing you can do now is wait and let them dry out. I water my seedlings in solo cups like this…
Spray/mist the soil 2-3 times per day the first week or so. Then an ounce or two at a time the next week or so and then by the end of the second week they should be ready to transplant :v::bear:

4 Likes

great help there @MattyBear i have bookmarked for next time. thanks a bunch!

so when i do take these from solo’s to the 1 or 3 gallon they are going into, i shouldn’t flood the new pot! just moisten by where the solo is going into?

1 Like