Moldy smell in my grow room

I’ve noticed a moldy smelly in my grow room. I smelled my buds and soil and it’s not coming from there. I’m in week 7 of flower. Can someone tell me where this smell could be coming from?

We would need more information. Pictures would be great, under normal light, not blue/purple LED, please.

2 Likes

Got any pics of your set up ?
Otherwise we’re just guessing. :thinking:
:v:

2 Likes

I just set that tent up the other day. It is not in use.

1 Like

Carpet under the plants?? If you have run off leaking to the carpet that could be the source

6 Likes

@Ocean. Took the words out of my mouth. :wink::+1:
:v:

5 Likes

Thanks guys! That makes perfect sense. I’m going to take care of that right away. :raised_hands:t5:

3 Likes

I see a few red flags here. Yes, it could be the carpet. But I’d look at your soil too. The planters are sitting on a poly tarp. They should be elevated in a drain tray of some sort. The idea is to let the soil shed excess water, which can’t happen if it’s sitting in the runoff.

5 Likes

The pots that they are in have elevated holes. The holes are not directly on the ground. When it drains I wrap a towel around the bottom to catch any excess water.

This morning I went in my room and the smell is more like a cat pee smell. I don’t own any cats though. The strain is Mango. I’m hoping that it’s just the way that it smells as it goes through its process. :man_shrugging:t5:

That could be anaerobic bacteria in your soil, your carpet, or something else.

Are you keeping the soil wet? Are you letting the plant dry out enough so that it wilts before watering again?

2 Likes

I would second that you have water leaking into your carpet somehow. My SO’s car had an awful cat pee smell until we realised there was a leak in the boot and it had been there for ages. It had gotten into the carpets etc.
As soon as the leak was fixed and everything dried out, the smell was gone (unless it’s a really hot day the there’s still a slight whiff in there…)

Could it be the towels you are soaking it up with that smell? Not to criticise or anything but dunno if you replace or wash them after each use or not?
I know when I hung damp towels in my tent (for humidity) after the second use it had a funky pong to it when it had dried. Soon stopped using that method. But it could be the towels maybe? :thinking:

Good luck!
CJ. :v:

1 Like

Yes sir, I am. The carpet underneath is dry. I moved everything and checked. This is my first time making it this far (2nd go at it). I appreciate all the information that you are sharing with me and I hope that you can continue to help guide this young grasshopper :raised_hands:t5::joy:

2 Likes

Once water stops coming out I remove the towels. I moved everything earlier and the carpet is dry underneath. :man_shrugging:t5: As for over watering, I use the first buckle method before I water. I appreciate your feedback and keep it coming because I’m sure that you know more than I do about this. Lol! :joy:

1 Like

And apologies, I was so keen to try and help I forgot to say hello and welcome :wave:

You’re already more advanced than I am, I’m no expert by any stretch. Just thought I’d share my cat pee smell experiences with you :joy:

Guess it’s process of elimination then :woman_shrugging:

Let us know if you figure it out!

CJ. :+1:

1 Like

There were two questions, so I have no idea whether you’re watering too much or not.

Edit: Oh, looks like you answered in the next post. Knuckles are okay. Lifting the pot is a bit better. I think watching for droop is even better. A hydrometer would be optimal.

I’m assuming you’re in soil. My point applies to soil, not all other mediums.

1 Like

Yes sir I am in soil.

1 Like

Ok! So here is an update. I went in my room today and the smell is gone. :thinking::man_shrugging:t5: I put another fan in there to get better circulation and it seems like that has taken care of the problem…for now. I’ll keep everyone posted on how things are going in the coming days or weeks. I really appreciate all of you that commented on here. Maybe we all can meet up someday at test each other’s strains! :grin:

1 Like

I would advise you to put a tray of some sort under Meath your pots, they are cheap and will catch any run off, plus you can also catch it to test if needed for any problems that may arise in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing that info. I plan on getting a few this week. :raised_hands:t5: