Molasses, outdated?

I don’t usually add molasses to my plants. Instead I use maple syrup. After reading the article I might forgo that. Maybe I’ll use coconut water instead.

l started using Langbeinite over the summer to help increase potassium into the soil. What I didn’t realize was that it has a lot of sulfur as well and magnesium. I just harvested a crop indoor having incorporated langbeinite and seabird guano into the soil upon transplanting. This harvest smells and tastes incredible. Had one plant that smelled of fresh cut balsam bows. And I mean it was strong smelling.

I think if you’re using molasses for the sulfur there are other options. It seems like an explosion of micro growth and then die off could have a yo yo affect on the plant.

6 Likes

Never heard of it, thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

@PurpNGold74 thought you might enjoy this, plus I see you are active this am:

5 Likes

Just got home from 1/2 day at work. Nice little thread going on here. What I like about the previous thread I forwarded to @AAA was that is was a nice read with different ideas and the best part a CIVIL. conversation. I am planning on using it still in my worm teas.

Now to catch up on this thread and read all the other links.

5 Likes

Carbohydrates are a significant component of organic matter in all soils. Proper Carbohydrate levels should account for 5 to 20 percent of soil organic matter. Not only do Carbohydrates comprise 50 to 70 percent of dry weight plant matter, but it is an essential constituent of soil microbiology, both as structural and as cellular components fulfilling metabolic roles. Microorganisms degrade Carbohydrates to metabolizable substances, which are most readily available for soil organisms. Plant-derived sugars serve as a significant source of energy and Carbon for soil biology. The survival of aerobic bacteria in soil is entirely dependant on moisture, aeration, proper pH, and plenty of food (Carbohydrates) .

5 Likes

I ordered the 3 "Teaming with… books by Jeff Lowenfels and they will be delivered today. I will read them promptly and then come back to see what you just said Ha! Ha! Ha! :rofl:

2 Likes

I have the trilogy of Lowenfels’ books as well.

3 Likes

They got here an hour ago. Which one first?

2 Likes

Microbes first, then fungi

3 Likes

O.k. yes i already have a amino acid blend of nitrogen from soybeans
Potassium nitrate, ammonium nitrate
Calcium nitrate and just plain chealated calcium and both humic acid and fulvic acid
But using 1/4 tsp of molasses crystals really seems to bring it together and more pungent smell and you can taste it now before I was using agave nectar not so good results with it i don’t know everything so and this is my 3rd month of playing around and using the brix scale om trying to learn from a wine maker and how they work with his grapes.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tag dude! Ton of good lit. Nice reads. I feel informed :joy:

1 Like

@PurpNGold74 how bout them mf’n ravens tho!!!

1 Like

Man… DUDE ive been stoked all season. Now the fun begins. :wink::rofl:

1 Like

hey buddy,

all absolutely awesome stuff, I studied microbiology at uni but it was a long time ago, and if I write it like its advice I don’t mean to… :wink: its just my brain trying to figure it out and atm im deep in microbiology thoughts with what im using in hydro… :wink:

this is what im struggling to understand… if you make the tea recipe above and leave it for 4 days will it still be as effective as after 24 hours… (will all the microbes die off?) or if you brew it for 3 weeks will it be better (could the ones that repopulate be better)…?

ill try and word this better…

there are multiple microbiological sources that are sold pre mixed… (for example mammoth p) how do they stay as a healthy specifically described ratios of these bugs even when u open the bottle without adding food… im sure it has a place in the beginning of a movement where specific ‘cakes’ of microbes specifically designed and bred for weed (and other plants) :grinning:, and knowing when and where it goes and when… my misses is making sour dough starter, its everywhere… but if u don’t specifically add food and remove % of the beast it will die… I think if we knew what we wanted and had a supply of some things like molasses, alfalfa, coconut… ox blood… we could know what we are producing…maybe?

I suppose I really wish id stayed at uni and studied more… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

btw the 8-16 billion tonnes is just microbiology, I listened to a podcast recently… no worms or arthropods… amazing :grinning:

anyway I love that there are threads like this here…

Happy yew nears fother muckers… :smiley: :grinning:

10 Likes

I resent that!

I’ve never fothed a mucker!

That I can remember anyways…

6 Likes

lol… you have… you just don’t want to admit it on the internet… :wink: :smirk:

6 Likes

Busted!

6 Likes

I think I’ve read that the fluid they come in and the ratio they’re in it, keeps them dormant. When we dilute that fluid, they wake-up, eat, drink, and reproduce.

Sorry for all the fancy lingo.

5 Likes

makes sense… :grinning:I think that’s the case too… and lingo is find buddy…

1 Like

That was a joke, because I used absolutely zero fancy words. :joy:

5 Likes