Molasses in nute water

32 seeds germinating is one heck of an undertaking for sure…especially your first go at an indoor grow. I did one plant and felt my hands were full…lol.

Cant say much about the molasses other than what I’m getting as responses on this thread, but it is interesting to learn about. If I am using Advanced Nutrients base nutes and bud enhancers, maybe that’s all I need. Possibly, microbial enhancers such as molasses will be incorporated into the nutes I use and may be redundant to add more. Some folks like to go the DIY route, and molasses may be one of those ingredients folks use in this regard. That’s why I want to make sure I actually need molasses with the AN nutes I’m using.

I always use fabric pots and prefer them for a host of reasons. I feel the breathability of the fabric beneficial to the root system and drainage seems so much better. Cost is lower, I buy pots from recycled materials and the soft sides are good to use clips for plant ties when I LST a plant. I did note there was some white powdery spots on pots in my earlier usage, but that is residual salts washing out of the soil and collecting on the pot during runoff. Love these pots.

I use upper canopy and lower canopy fans which really helps the plant grow as well as hedge the bet against mildew and molds.

6 Likes

Excellent advice, I hadn’t thought about a lower level fan, but that makes alot of sense. I have above the canopy all set, will definitely set up under as well.
I’m glad to get input on the fabric pot, I currently have 12 autos and 15 more coming which will use the fabric. I like the benefits you mentioned which is why I bought them to begin with. And I’ll be ever vigilant w the molasses and nutes, I want these to be the most successful yet! Thanks again for your reply!:+1:

3 Likes

Buy light colored if possible. Get dimensions too because one maker’s 5 is another one’s 7 gallon. The rule of thumb indoors with autos is 3 gallon and photos 5 gallon. I actually like the “Dirt Pot” brand–grey–and comes in up to 100 gallon size. I like 7 gallon for my media grows myself. In THAT brand of pot.

Fabric pots drain easier, don’t stay wet as long, self prune roots etc. There are no downsides to using fabric pots IMO.

Happy to help. Just tag me in when you do. There are a number of Promix HP users: @MattyBear is one. @Not2SureYet uses coco. Both great growers.

7 Likes

Always great to have forum friends and learn what works for others as it may well work for us too!

I am always mindful of molds and mildews that may form, and moisture at or near the soil/medium level is a prime place for issues to develop. I typically remove a fair amount of foliage (lollypop) under the canopy to allow good airflow, so a lower fan works well in the application. I also run a fan on top of the canopy, and for that one I like the oscillating tent fans.

I agree, using molasses is fine and you can pretty much use it whenever. It’s indeed more or less just a carb load for bennies.

What AN supplements are you using? Good chance one of them has molasses or similar in it already?

Thank you! Yeah, on the lab side Pom and kabongster also use Promix, so between the all of us, I think most issues that could exist may have been discovered by now. Anytime I change my growing plans, I always feel the need to do a bit of research upfront to avoid potential pitfalls. But look at all of the top shelf growers who use Promix. This is an elite group to tap into their knowledge bank. I surely appreciate the offer to help!

1 Like

Yeah; Cheryl and I have talked about the correct PH range and she’s found 6.0 to be about ideal.

2 Likes

I was wondering this same thing…I use Advanced Nutrients base trio, plus their bud enhancer trio and bud candy. I wonder if these products have an element similar to molasses built in?

2 Likes

I noted these Advanced Nutrients with Ph Perfect chelation like to hover around 6.0. They say this chelation keeps all nutes available over a range of ph values…so we shall see. This is my first grow with Advanced Nutes and the plant (Northern Lights auto) looks healthy at 6 week.

may%2020

5 Likes

As long as you are using low TDS water as your base the AN products do okay.

1 Like

I heard the same thing when I made a decision to use AN. Luckily I have RO water close to 0 ppm.

1 Like

I’m not sure if label I found is current, but it looks like bud candy alone is loaded with carbs. Some of which appear to be molasses.

3 Likes

I would have thought (by name alone I suppose) that Bud Candy would be the supplement with carb loading ingredients. I’m using them now as she flowers.

1 Like

Yes, this is the list of goodies in AN’s Bud Candy

Ingredients ; Soluble Potash from Potassium sulphate 1.0% (N:P:K 0:0:1), 72 Trace Elements, Organic Acids, Polyphenolic Compounds, Esters, Raw Cane Juice, Sweet Brown Molasses, Xylose, Maltose, Glucose, Galactose, Arabinose, Cranberry, Grape, Malt and Fermented Yeast Extracts, 7 B vitamins and 21 Amino Acids.

3 Likes

I don’t see any reason to add molasses at this time. You could probably get some horticulture grade molasses to continue using after you remove nutes if you’d like. Otherwise you probably don’t need it

1 Like

I’ve heard folks complain about the price of AN products. Seems the base nutes are pretty much in-line with other companies, while I do think these specialty additives may be pricey. BUT…AN makes it easy to use and follow a feeding schedule with their nutes and supplements. I like the AN line so far.

1 Like

The 3 part probably. But I don’t think their flagship (connoisseur) is. Not to mention the umpteen bottles in which you can get similar nutrient profile with half as many from others.

If you’re happy with it is that really matters.

1 Like

Yeah still on my first grow akd still trying to understand the promix hp. I made the mistake of thinking my plants needed calmag… Pretty sure that it just stockpiled in my promix causing them to not grow as fast as they should. Having flushed it out with RO water they started exponentially growing. I kinda wish I would have started with a different medium. Sounds like soil is way easier to use to start.

2 Likes

Do the advanced nutes really auto ph? How do they do this? Would have been easier for me to learn on for sure.

1 Like

I agree with your thinking about starting in a medium such as soil like Fox Farms Ocean Forest which is exactly what I did. I tend to think of Promix as a bit more advanced that I was to begin. I think its a pretty good move to use OF so you can focus on all elements of an indoor grow such as lighting, watering frequency, ambient environment like heat, a/c and RH%. That’s a handful for sure that will slow down any beginner.

A few grows down the road once I got my bearings, smaller details come into play such as being in control of the plant’s nutrient level from the beginning. I have often said of OF - that OF is in control…not me. With experience of adjusting nute levels and when to adjust said levels, a mix like Promix HP may ideally be suited for a grower with a grow or two under their belt. Just my .02 worth - nothing more than thinking out loud.

AN Ph Perfect nutes are chelated, and by way of AN’s support staff’s explanation, means nutrients can be utilized by the plant over a broad Ph range. If your soil’s ph is out of range and locks out certain nutrients, chelation prevents nute lockout leading to deficiencies. So far, my Ph seems to want to run at 6.0 despite my efforts to adjust nute water at 7.0 to raise this at least to 6.5. But this AN line seems to be working so I’m rolling with the flow.

1 Like