Moisture meter question

Can you just leave these in the soil so you know when to water?

3 Likes

They dont really work very well and it gets worse as they get any age on them…
Try lifting the pot and learn when it needs water by weight.

1 Like

Damn, I figured. Wishful thinking. I have a really bad back and was looking for an alternative. Thank you @Spiney_norman

1 Like

Me too. I have switched to coco coir and now I just water every day.
It works better for me.

2 Likes

If you are growing in bags or pots, just use the weight of the bag. A dry bag is easily noticable. After you water/feed, just lift a tad.

2 Likes

@Borderryan22 Thank you sir. I’ve gotten pretty decent at doing by weight of the bag but was just looking for a way with out lifting. Back is shot. Hahahha I can use back pain as a guage.
Hurts = Moist soil
Really hurts = Wet soil :rofl:

5 Likes

Once you get out of the seedlings an a few weeks into veg stage you get into a pattern of water every 2 or 3 days and it’s also good to check the weight of the pots.

1 Like

I know what you mean! I had too many crammed in my tent and had to completely gut it every other day tocwater/feed. You can always jam your index finger all the way in the side of the pot/bag. Not the most reliable unless you’re like a plant talker or something, but it’s about as reliable as those meters.

2 Likes

@kellydans sounds like a good plan. I’m in week 7 of veg so they are drinking a lot more.

1 Like

As the plants get bigger and consume more water pots will still dry out in about the same amount of time 2 to 3 days. Cannabis likes a wet to dry cycle I don’t like to water everyday.

1 Like

Nice, thank you very much

1 Like

I actually use one of those cheap moisture meters and It works for me for a ballpark idea of moisture. I guess I could do a “calibration” of sorts with water and dry soil. I can’t lift more than 10 pounds - two vertebrae with compression fractures. Not going to risk re-injury.

1 Like

I guys the other half needs to teach that trick to me, her ivy plants show signs of drooping, simply lifts, a couple more days, or oh yes, i can see your thirsty.

I also rely on one of those cheap 3 way meters to check soil moisture. Moisture is the only thing it can do very well. When using small containers I just use the lift method, and when going to 5 gallon container I start using the meter. I only water when the top half of the container is dry, and the bottom is starting to dry. This really helps with preventing me from overwatering, and also the dry cycle keeps the gnats down enough that I don’t need insecticides.
This is good way to establish you waterings schedule in number of days, and help prevent you from pushing the probe into the soil and roots so much. I usually check the moisture on the day that water is due and decide to water right then or wait another day.
I could probably could use this by only looking at the probes when it comes out of the soil, and if there is soil crumbs on the probe the soil is damp enough. Much like checking a cake in the oven with a toothpick.
I have watched professionals taking care of plants in large buildings that I have worked in. They all seem to check the moisture with a meter before watering.

2 Likes

I guess my comment will come off like a “counter point” but here goes.
I have one of those same meters and it works GREAT. I remember reading the directions when I first got it and for some reason they said not to use it in the way you are describing (to leave it in the soil) but when used properly I find it to be an invaluable tool. Nowadays I just kinda know when my plants need water and I only use it to reaffirm my suspicions that it is time but I love it and use it ALL the time. I am not a fan of picking up my pots especially when they have a SCROG over the tops of the plants.
Anyway. My two cents. :call_me_hand:

2 Likes

@ShockDog I never read the directions!

2 Likes