Moisture after curing in jars

Hello all! I am fairly new to growing and have searched here for an answer I couldn’t find. I have about 4 harvests of autos under my belt. The problem I am having is during and after curing. I hand my buds to dry in a closet with humidity at about 45 or so for a week or so. When the stems snap is when I quit drying. I then move it to quart mason jars in a dark closet burping them 1 time a day for 20 min or so when I out them in jars they are dry have a decent smell etc. After a few days in the jars they seem to get very moist and get the “hay” smell back to them. What I end up having to do is dump the jars on a drying rack for a couple days to redry. Then back to the jars. They seem to then rehydrate and get that hat smell again. When I use the drying racks the bud smells and tastes great. When I get it from the jar flavor and smell aren’t great. Still gets the job done. I’ve read many articles but haven’t found one about this. I’ve tried different techniques… Any one out there able to give some advice to s newbie that is really enjoying his new hobby???

1 Like

Following this. Doing my first harvest soon.

You need to burp the jars for at least 30 minutes every day for a couple weeks get some mini hydrometers and put one in each jar when you get the humidity to stay stable at 60-62% put 62% bovida packs in each jar. Keep an eye on the hydrometers and cure in the jars for another month

1 Like

Here’s an article on drying it will help walk you through it

This means that dry trimming typically produces a better smoking experience, with less of that grassy or hay-like flavor that you want to avoid.

That’s from that article @MeEasy posted. I was kind of wondering how to perfect my drying process too. There’s more too it but this article is a great place to start.

2 Likes

I got the drying part down its getting it all trimmed before some of it dries out too much. Hopefully I’ll find some help trimming approx 5lbs of buds.

2 Likes

I’d love to help! :laughing: unfortunately no one on this forum ive run into so far lives in Montana. If any of you dolks ever come to Montana hit me up :laughing:

1 Like

It seems to me the reason you have to redry is because you aren’t drying long enough… Increase your drying rh to 65% and shoot for a 7-10 day dry. You don’t want to rush the dry. There is alot of moisture in the dense buds and you need to kinda draw it out. I leave all the fan leaves and clip stalks off main to hang individually from a metal herb rack then add bucket humidifier to tent set humidity controller for 65% RH. I live in the desert so I need the addtl humidity from fan leaves you might not. Here is a great video on harvest its a 3 parter from Bill Ward. Watch all 3. I follow this and have had great drys and cures.

Sharing photos of your harvest is goodform…im just saying:)

1 Like

Thank you all for the answers. I am currently harvesting two zskittles ad we speak. The last harvest that prompted this question did the same thing. Dry trim put in jar burp twice a day for 30 min or so… And they still took in moisture.

This harvest I’ll try drying a bit longer. Humidity strayed right around the 50 percent mark.

My question for you Docnraq is you are saying try drying at 65 percent… So if I understand this correctly I should add humidity to my drying closet? And not to wet trim?

I generally do a quick wet trim to get the bulk of leaves out then do a nice thorough dry trim. I’ll get pics up here for sure of this harvest…

Again thank to all who have given advice

The second pic is of a quick wet trim I’ve done

1 Like

1 Like

Yeah no wet trim, aside from fan leaves. (Use personal judgement. If its fairly moist take off fans, if dry leave em on.) Yes I add humidity up to 65%. I use a simple 5 gallon bucket and shop towel draped over the side. You can use whatever humidification device you want. You will want to shoot for 7-10 day dry time.

Water in the bucket? Getting the towel wet?

1 Like

Nope…sand…roflmao. yes. Again, use a humidifier if you want. I like simple sometimes.

1 Like

Like so, see bottom of photo

1 Like

Thanks for the pic, but I don’t see the sand. :rofl:

1 Like

Just finished the dry cycle… Did 7 days at about 60-65% like you advised, no wet trim. Just jarred up that crop and I can already tell it’s totally different from the last few harvest thanks to you.hopefully the future crops I’ll learn more and more and finally get this figured out. I’ll attach a pic of the jarred product … that was an auto zskittles I did!! Thanks again

3 Likes

Glad to help. Looks tasty!