Modding a meizi 900w case for cob setup

I have 2 meizhi 900w lights that have burned out diodes, what I would like to do is gut it and use the case for a cob setup for flower…would need 6 cobs per light…doable?

1 Like

or any other ideas on repurposing the case.

1 Like

Can you post some pictures of driver labels? Also need to know if fans have their own power supply or are running on drivers with leds.

Done this before with a few members, I’m sure I could find something to fit.

1 Like

the fans seem to be running of the drivers.

1 Like

Well done for wanting to fix them instead of just binning them.

1 Like

So all drivers are identical right? That means 6 power power supplies total, 3 have fans on them and 3 don’t? Also wondering if we’re sure all drivers working properly?

If so, you have 3 drivers available 55-86v at 650ma, and 3 drivers available 43-74v. This will be pretty easy one imo. What is goal here… biggest baddest light possible or something decent without breaking the bank?

Something decent that won’t break the bank.

1 Like

Even though the 2 banks of drivers have a different number the volts and amps are the same on both banks…seems the fans are driven from the one bank of drivers.

I feel the cheapest route to get something pretty good would be to go with 12 citizen clu-048-1212 per fixture. Cobkits has some for as little as $8 per cob. If you add solderless cob holder and thermal pad like $13 per unit. They are 36v cobs, so you would wire 2 cobs per driver in series. All drivers would have room to run a 12v fan as well.

Another (more expensive) option would be to run 6 vero 29c cobs per fixture, 1 cob per driver. Those are 69v, and are usually available with built in cob holder for around $25-30 each. You would still need thermal pad or compound.

You could potentially do something with strips too.

Maybe something with strips too. Can you take measurements of the glass underneath fixture?

1 Like

ea section is aprox. 6in x 4-3/4in.

1 Like

so with the vero 29c cobs, could i just take out the led board and paste these to the existing heatsinks and wire them up to the drivers?

1 Like

The gridwork in there would probably eliminate strips.

If it were me, I would get an aluminum plate the size and thickness of the factory led pcb. Just so everything fits back in the case nicely as intended. Then I would drill and tap holes to mount heatsink to plate and to mount cobs to opposite side of plate. You would want thermal paste between cobs and heatsink though, for good thermal transfer.

1 Like

Think I might go with the vero 29c when I get the cash…now, would I use it as is or should I also get the lens? Thanks for the pro advise!

I would probably use without anything like that. Definitely not a lens anyway. I would maybe even look at removing any factory covering, if the fixtures have them. They’re all going to block light to some extent.

So, you would recommend just getting the cobs…do you think the meizhi heatsinks be enough as there are 3 heat sinks so 2 cobs would share 1 or should I cut the heatsinks so ea. cob has its own…I am a machinist by trade so making stuff is not a problem…on electrical I know just enough to be dangerous. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If the fans work two cobs per heatsink will be fine.

Yeah, everything works…it was just the diodes are starting to burn out…now what do you think the veg and flower switches would do?

1 Like

Same thing they did before unless you change that. If I had a reason to continue using them, I would maybe have one switch turn on end cobs and the other turn on middle cobs. But I would probably just bypass them altogether.

Do you have a favorit source for for the 29c in3500k and then would need the thermal paste…thanks again for your help in this…your a wizard! !

1 Like