Mixing nutrients

Hi
Wondered if anyone can advise me, when I water feed my plants on average I use 12.5 litres of water, I used filtered water and store in 25 litre barrels and I’ve just purchased a new nutrients (organic) fertiliser (fox farm) question is can I mix it with the full 25 litre and use half and will the other half be ok to use later at the next watering on average I water every 3 or 4 days apart

IMO it’s best to just mix when you use. It will not stay right if you try and store it.

1 Like

Thank you

U can store it for about a week but u need to add air too it to keep it fresh. Air pump with air stones usually does the trick

1 Like

You should use a fish tank air pump and bubble stone to maintain trabidity thereby inhibiting bonding and precipitation of nutrients, especially calcium and phosphorous they bind to create calcium phosphate (gypsum) a compound that plants can’t absorb.

1 Like

Standing water can go bad over time and if you add nutrients this can accurate the process. In the air are mold and bacteria spores that will bloom to life once it finds water. If the water provides nutrients they will begin to replicate. If they are anaerobic bacteria that’s could be detrimental to your plant health. Aerating the water will prevent this stagnation.

2 Likes

@Shatter gypsum is actually Calcium sulfate, not phosphate. Calcium sulfate is found in bud finishers an does get used by the plant supposedly in the creation of terpenes.

2 Likes

You’re right! I got that one wrong! Thanks for the correction, however I do remember reading gypsum is not available to plants until it’s broken down by micro organisms, same with yellow raw sulfur, it has to be digested by micros to become available. Or so I read, but obviously I remember things wrong at times.

2 Likes

@shatter We smoke so …! :v::smile:

Sulfate can be absorbed, although microbes do help greatly in this process especially in fixing it for proper absorption. Sulfates also help with the uptake of nutrients during a high salt environment (such as when we raise the PPM during flower.) Raw sulfur is definitely different, but reacts readily with water.

1 Like

Here is an interesting read on sulfur assimilation by plants:

2 Likes

@WickedAle That sure gives me a few more pieces to the puzzle, now I know why sulfur brushed on a plants stem base inhibits rot and pests. Good article!