Missouri outdoor transplant help

Permit to grow? How many plants? Or just what are the rules?

I am not sure if any other state does it this way, but Missouri requires a state issued permit to allow cannabis cultivation. Here are the official rules.

Consumer Personal Cultivation Section

Rules

Consumer Personal Cultivation.

1. Individuals at least twenty-one years of age may obtain a consumer personal cultivation card from the department to cultivate up to six (6) flowering marijuana plants, six (6) nonflowering plants under 14 inches tall or more, and six (6) non flowering plants under 14 inches tall in a single enclosed locked facility. All consumer personal cultivation must take place at a private residence.

2. Two individuals who both hold valid consumer cultivation cards may cultivate their plants at one private residence provided they have both informed the department of this in their approved consumer personal cultivation application.

3. No more than twelve (12) flowering marijuana plants, twelve (12) nonflowering plants 14 inches tall or more, and twelve (12) nonflowering plants under 14 inches tall may be cultivated by consumers at a single private residence, regardless of the number of consumers who live at that private residence.

4. Plants and marijuana produced by the plants in excess of three (3) ounces must be kept at a private residence in an enclosed locked facility.

5. All cultivated flowering marijuana plants in the possession of a consumer shall be clearly labeled with the consumerā€™s name.

6. A consumer personal cultivation identification card shall be valid for 12 months from its date of issuance and shall be renewable with the submittal of a renewal application.

I Personally grow about three pounds a year indoors and at most have 4 plants in flower. Someone with more talent or growing outside could do way more. The cost for medical patients is 50 dollars for 3 year permit. Recreational growers pay 100 per year. I am sure everyone would prefer to just be left alone to do as they please but this state does a pretty good job of managing the program. Understand that by and large the population is against cannabis use. Looking at a map of the voting on this shows that only the metro Kansas City area and metro St. Louis with a small addition of Columbia which is a large college community carried the vote to approve this law. So where I live for instance the majority of people still want us to go to jail for growing or using cannabis. By controlling the growing we have some protection.

6 Likes

Yes I have had some problems with bud rot but Iā€™ve only used seeds I got out of Mexican pot until now. My plan is to keep them as dry as possible once they start to flower

I have this light will it work to start them indoors in early April so I can get them in the ground by early may or when the weather permits

3 Likes

Yes that should work for sure. Seedlings need very little light.

The grow guid says hang it 2 inches from the seedling will I need to do this even after there 3 weeks old

Be carefulā€¦ that looks like a lot more light @2" than you really need

Still trying to make up my mind on seed selection I like the super mix pack but unsure it will do well in southwest MO

So whatā€™s a good starting point like maybe a foot and see if they stretch and adjust accordingly

1 Like

Thatā€™s actually a good idea. Be sure and also place the back of your hand below the light at the height you plan to hang it to make sure itā€™s not too hot to the touch.

1 Like

@417Outlaw, the main problem many alluded to here is more about after you put them outside. Then how you start them indoors. Cannabis will flower under 14.5 hours of light per day. If you start seedling they wonā€™t flower for a month because they wonā€™t be sexually mature yet. Getting a jump on them early is fine but they will start to flower in about 10 days outside under 14.5 hours of light since they will be old enough to be mature.

The problem arises when the plants start flowering and then the days get longer as summer progresses. The plants get confused and just stall out for 4-8 weeks depending on strain. Exactly if one were reveging a harvested plant. It takes a while for the plant to change from flowering hormones back to veg. Throws the whole timing off and makes for low yield and immature buds because the plant misses all its outdoor cues. While itā€™s figuring out what to do.

I have experimented heavily with reveged plants on purpose and seen accidental spring buds more times than I would like. I have found a good solution is to mid May cut back the spring flower clusters. Hacking the plant down to the first couple nodes on bigger indoor early started plants will not hurt them at all. They will blow up and stretch/veg properly within a week I have found. Removing that vegetation with flower hormones removes the confusion for the plant. It solves the spring bloom phenomenon every time.

There is advantages to still doing this. The plant will get established early with a much bigger root ball. If hacking them back tiny from the early start seems wasteful, I may suggest waiting to closer to May to prevent the spring time confused bud out.

Edit: you may also try running the lights just 16-15 hours on. If they donā€™t go floral the plants will be less likely to flower in addition to keeping them in till May.
Some strains would flower even with 15-16hours. They would not sense a drop in hours as much as they would vegging 18hiurs or more.

3 Likes

judging by your area code i know about where your at lol. Ive grown outdoors there my whole life. You definitely want to start them before april because we still get freezing temps until may its hit or miss. So you dont want babies out there. Now Iā€™ve never grown autos outside though so idk about all of that. You can put stuff around them like plastic jugs to protect from the frost or bring them in but April is still almost too early. I would germinate end of march and if anything have them out there at the end of April but I would not jump the gun too soon in Missouri just from experience

3 Likes

My dad had a garden here in Missouri and experimented with starting plants inside and transplanting outside for decades. Nothing will grow till the ground itself warms up. Start one a month early and when you set it out plant a seed next to it. By July you cant tell the difference. Until the root zone is warm it simply wont grow. Some plants do well with colder soil like radishes and lettuce, but cannabis is quite like tomatoes in its growth and needs and so I donā€™t think there is a lot of benefit other than avoiding rabbits eating the sprouts.

4 Likes

Thanks I think Iā€™ll wait until the beginning of may and just go directly in soil Iā€™ll start a journal also

2 Likes