Missouri outdoor transplant help

Hello I am going to be starting my seeds inside under a fluorescent light then transplanting outside in Missouri about mid April Im worried that my plants will start to flower or will be shocked due to light and temp changes what can I do to ensure they will survive. I’m starting the super mix pack. Should I just wait until April to germinate. I am not using autoflower

1 Like

Are the fluorescents shop lights or bulbs?
Growing under lights takes a lot of good light or the plants get lanky and sickly very fast.

I think you should be ok with that strategy. A link that you can judge the daylight ours.

It is set for Joplin but you can choose any town but they are close. Hope it helps. Just remember that when you put them outside that they will be getting 14 + hrs. of daylight.

1 Like

Im in zone 6a,.and probably start sooner than most.

We start inside and tranplant into the garden and 10gal grow bags that are elevated off the ground.

On St. Patricks day I soak seeds, to plant.

They need to be hardened off slowly before going outside. Look up hardening off.

We plant on the first full moon after mothers day in May.

The weather forces harvest around September/ October.

1 Like

That’s an issue I didn’t think about. If started indoors and put outside will there be enough daylight hours to keep them in veg mode till fall. ???
Considering how damp and humid late September and October is I think I might choose to grow autos outside so they finish early in the summer when its dry and hot.
@417Outlaw How have your other outside grows done so far? Any bud rot problems?

3 Likes

As others have said, you will need quite a lot of light during their indoor time or they will get overly stretched. Also, if the plants are more than about a month old, they will go into flower outdoors if it is much earlier than late June. The complication is that as the days get longer, they may reveg. If that is your goal then all is good.

1 Like

Last grow season i had a seed on the first sprout something bit the first growth clean off. I thought the plant was done for but i left it and watered it just to see, i had 4 main sprouts emerge and had a successful grow with it…was this a fluke? Or is this a common practice? Does it help to pinch off the first set of actual leaves or does it hinder?

If it’s an auto you don’t want to mess with it other than some LST when it’s larger.

If it’s a photo you probably could do this but likely with a high mortality of seedlings. Better to grow out the plant and do some training like supercropping etc.

3 Likes

I had a plant self-top itself and it is now 4 weeks into flower and is now doing amazingly.

1 Like

I think you probably got lucky, I wouldn’t try to duplicate that

3 Likes

Hey there @417Outlaw , I live in Missouri as well. If they are auto flowers you cant stop them from flowering as its just built into the genetics. Photo period plant wont flower as long as you give them 18hr of good strong light and fluorescents usually are not enough after a couple weeks. There are some that will do it but you might need to get a stronger light to keep them in vegetation for 2 months.
You should start your own topic and let the community help out. You will like the forum. I learned everything I needed right here.

2 Likes

Thank you I usually just wait until later in the season and start outside but this year I can legally do what I want lol

4 Likes

As long as you buy the permit to grow. Otherwise its still the same crime as before.
We have been medically approved since 2018. I know that hasn’t stopped a lot of growers anyway but I try to avoid the hassle. 100 bucks for a permit to be legal is far better than any interaction with LEO.

5 Likes

I got the permit

6 Likes

Welcome to the neighborhood @417Outlaw. Start your own topic and we can keep up with your grow and offer help when you need it. Happy Growing :blush::v:

2 Likes

@Spiney_norman with photos when is it safe for you to move outside permanently? Both in terms of temperatures and lights hours. Just to fill in the blanks.

1 Like

Cool. Again Welcome and we look forward to watching.

I’m struggling starting my own topic

2 Likes

https://ilgmforum.com/
Should be a start topic button here…

1 Like

Please don’t make duplicate posts. @417Outlaw
I merged your two topics for your convenience.

2 Likes